Hiking, thrower to go with Zebralight H600Fc

terjee

Enlightened
Hi all,

For hiking, I've currently got a Zebralight H600Fc (Mk III, will upgrade to Mk IV).

I really like the idea of a floody (not full-flood) headlight, and a more focused thrower to go with it, for inspecting things further ahead etc. For now, that thrower has been a Klarus XT11S. The Klarus is not at all a bad light, I'm actually kinda fond of it.

If I find the right light though, I'd really like to upgrade to something that's a bit of a better match with the Zebras. The XT11S is a pretty cool light, but I'd like to find something closer in temperature to the Zebras (around 4000K), and preferably also with respectable CRI (the Zebras are 83-85 for the Mk III, and 93-95 for the Mk IV, part of why I'll upgrade).

So the most important points is something like:
- Reliable and waterresistant/proof (otherwise it's unsuitable for hiking)
- Neutral/warm (otherwise there's not much point in upgrading)
- A bit of range (>400m?) (otherwise I could just use a Zebra)
- Must be 18650, should be single 18650 (standardising on fuel for obvious reasons)
- Actually, should support flat top unprotected 18650s (Sony VTC-series etc)
- Budget, ideally <$200, but flexible

The closest I've been able to find seems to be the Acebeam L16vn. Any other options I should check out?

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that the Emisar D1 with 4000K XP-L hi makes a nice throwy companion to my Fc. Like the Zebra it is relatively light weight and runs unprotected flat tops.

You could also get a Solarforce P60 setup from PFlexPro with your choice of emitter, although that will be larger/heavier than the Emisar.

markr6

Flashaholic
The range may not be there, nor would I really call it a thrower, but I pair up my H600w and SC600w HI when hiking. Such a great compliment to each other, rather lightweight, and small.

terjee

Enlightened
I find that the Emisar D1 with 4000K XP-L hi makes a nice throwy companion to my Fc. Like the Zebra it is relatively light weight and runs unprotected flat tops.

You could also get a Solarforce P60 setup from PFlexPro with your choice of emitter, although that will be larger/heavier than the Emisar.

Both of these seem like interesting options, thanks! I did plan on a D4 at a point, was just always sold out when I remembered to look. Had completely forgotten about the D1, but it would be a very interesting addition.

The range may not be there, nor would I really call it a thrower, but I pair up my H600w and SC600w HI when hiking. Such a great compliment to each other, rather lightweight, and small.

I really like your thinking. Only trouble is that I already have the SC600w HI (the Mk III version at least). The SC600w HI and an SC600Fc are my go-to lights, and they've kept me happy for around a year now for all-round lights, thus the focus on range.

Many thanks both of you! :)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intl-outdoor has the V2 5D XPL HI D1S on sale right now. While larger and heavier than the D1, the throw is very capable for most any distance use, and the tighter beam is more effective at isolating objects in many scenarios where the back-scatter impairs the ability to see the item of interest. Having recently received the D4 with the V2 5D inside, it is a very nice emitter for 4000K. The weight isn't really all that much either.