Decent red filter?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about equipping my carbine lights with a red filter to allow for use in task lighting if needed. Not sure yet but anyways... the polytac is easy as the streamlight red filter is only about $1(. SureFire G2X is another story as their filter is over $50. Any good but economic flip-up filters for the g2x? I guess while I'm at it any suggestions for my aaa thorfire or aa fenix ?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Filters are bad; all the energy being used to power your light is being wasted except for the tiny frequency band of red that's being let through, a dedicated red emitter is a better deal.

Red for "night ops" doesn't apply unless it's 660nm+ and so dim that you can't tell what color it is, most red lights are 630nm and as bright as a standard light. Look to Rigel lights if you want the real deal.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, the decreased efficiency of a red filter vs a red light source is known. On the rifle mounts it would serve to also minimize the impact of an accidental press of the thumb switch as well as increasing utility of the light. On the hand helds, it would serve to decrease the number of lights required; I wouldn't need the red filte roften but it would be nice when camping to avoid disturbing the wife or for use around a late night camp fire occasionally. I would be willing to accept the trade offs in these applications.

I did find a filter on fenix-store for my L2T which should work perfectly. The Thorfire has an OD of about 13mm and I can't find a single thing for it. Any thoughts?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
filters do not work good with leds. with bulbs they work a lot better, mini mag has a kit with blue and red filters, you can try any red film, or red transparent plastic.

but like i said, if you got led, do not bother.