Small Flashlight Wanted With Tail or Side Clicky Using ONE AA or ONE AAA Battery

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
After a small handheld light with tail or side clicky switch.

These are the requirements -

> Light must use ONE AA or ONE AAA sized battery. NO other battery sizes will be considered. So please do NOT suggest alternative battery sizes.

> Light must use clicky switch. NOT interested in twisty switch lights. So please don't suggest lights with twisty switches.

> Light must be small(ish) and lightweight so it can be carried in shirt and pants pocket easily and without "discomfort" due to excess light size and/or due to excess light weight.

> Light should be "floody" rather than a "thrower", as light will be used indoors and outdoors for short range illumination.

> Light MUST have mode memory (for lights with two or more brightness levels). Please do not suggest lights without mode memory.

> Light low brightness setting should have a beam that throws no further than about 3 meters.

> Light should be pre-built as per manufacturer. Not really interested in "modding" lights in order to get the features I require.

> Light should be standard style with beam coming out axially from the light. NOT interested in headlights or lights that have beam coming out at right angles to the light body.

> Light priced no more than about $30 (USD).

As a start, I'm looking at the Niteye SE-A01, as the beam is fairly floody at ~ 37°. But the beam throw is just a tad too much at about 8 meters on the lowest brightness setting.

Another light is the Thrunite Archer 1A. But the beam angle is relatively low at about 28°, which is not ideal. But the beam throw at lowest brightness setting is about 1.5 meters which is OK!

With all the above in mind, any suggestions on suitable lights please?

Thank you!

Last edited:

meeshu

Enlightened
Thanks for the information!

Although the SC52 "remembers" sub-level settings, I don't think it quite works the way normal mode memory does(?)

I would like to switch a light back on to its previous level setting ("mode") just by pressing the light switch ONCE. Multiple switch presses to get the desired level (back again) is not what is wanted, which seems to be the case with the SC52. So I don't think this light is really suitable. Plus, I don't like its design/style. A simple cylindrical style light (like the Niteye SE-A01) is really preferred anyway.

terjee

Enlightened
Although the SC52 "remembers" sub-level settings, I don't think it quite works the way normal mode memory does(?)

Not quite, but does still typically allow for "direct to the mode you wanted"-type of use. A typical way to use then (and default from factory), is click to go to the high mode, or hold for low, and then mode memory for the sub level of those.

So rather than fully remembering everything and going to the last mode with a click, you make the choice of what you want when turning the light on, rather the last time you turned it off. For a lot of us, that's significantly better than "simple" mode memory, since we choose the light level when we need it. Preferences vary though.

FWIW, my first thought on reading the post was a similar light, the SC53Fc, which has a similar body, but is slightly more floody, and slightly more even/smooth profile, and not much of a hotspot.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Microstream should meet your requirements. Single AAA, single mode, stiff tail switch so no accidental activations, two-way clip for flexibility (clip bezel down for pocket carry, etc., and clip bezel forward for things like clipping to brim of a hat. Mine has resided in my jeans pocket for most of ten years and still works fine.

meeshu

Enlightened
I'm after a light with basic mode memory function. For example, I switch a light off at medium brightness level, the next time I switch the light back on with a SINGLE click, the light will resume at the medium brightness setting. I do NOT wish to have to do multiple switch presses (or hold the switch down) in order to cycle through various brightness levels until I find the level that I want after switching a light back on.

Sorry, but the Microstream does not do what I'm after.

The Microstream has a beam throw of 41 meters only. I'm wanting a light that throws no more than 3 meters (on low brightness setting).
The beam angle of the Microstream is only 21°, which is about standard to narrow beam angle. So it is not a flood light. I'm wanting a flood light.

Last edited:

Tesla

Enlightened
JETBeam E01R USB Rechargeable Flashlight might be a candidate. Not sure about the throw on low, but ticks off most of your criteria, otherwise. It has memory mode & is also compatible with AAA primary batteries.

Available at Battery Junction.

l

meeshu

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions!

The JetBeam E01R has a beam angle of about 33°, which is not bad but prefer beam angle at or greater than about 38°. It has a minimum throw of around 4 meters, which is also not bad. So this light might be a consideration if nothing better shows up.

Also had a quick look at the JetBeam E10R. Unfortunately its beam angle is only 26°, which is about standard and is not really suitable. Also the minimum throw is about 10 meters, which is too much. So this light is not a consideration.

McGizmo mule lights are not a consideration regardless of their performance owing to very high prices (around $400+ !!!!). I can't afford that. The maximum I can afford is somewhere around $30.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo mule lights are not a consideration regardless of their performance owing to very high prices (around $400+ !!!!). I can't afford that. The maximum I can afford is somewhere around $30.

Sorry about that, it was the least expensive I could think of that ticked all the boxes. Sounds like the Jetbeam E01R might be the best cost-compromise. What you could do is apply a little diffuser film to the exit window to widen the beam a touch, and to get the throw below the 3m. I know you said no modifications, but it's a simple, reversible procedure.

Keitho

Enlightened
The ZL SC53Fc has a slightly improve UI that might sway you more than the SC52 above. It has 3 mode groups; the "standard" same as described above (h/m/l, with memory for the level selected on each), plus two more that you can set up however you want. Maybe set up one to start on med, and the other to start on moonlight. The reason I'd think hard about this particular light is the beautiful 4000K high CRI flood beam. Small lights, at least to me, are for close-up tasks, and this beam would fit the bill if you appreciate warmer color temps and higher CRI.

Its all trade off's though--for $22.95 you can get the smaller Manker E02 with a magnet in the tail and 2 LED choices (I have the Nichia 219c), and a mode memory of sorts (the UI is...uh...unique). It will accomplish almost everything that the ZL does, in a smaller package and a fraction of the price. I even like the fire engine red color. I'm sure that there are $10 options that will accomplish almost as much as the $23 options...

meeshu

Enlightened
Comments noted, thanks.

The SC53fc seems to have an identical UI to that of other Zebralights according to information at Zebralight website. So it appears that the light doesn't seem to remember the last USED level setting when switching the light back on later with just ONE click of the switch.

So if I used a light at the low brightness setting, switch it off, and then later switch the light back on with just ONE switch click, I would want the light to come back on at the low brightness setting. Similar argument applies to mid and high brightness settings also. But the Zebralights do not appear to allow this.

Anyway, as mentioned before I don't really like the design of Zebralights, they appear too bulky. I prefer pen-light style lights.

I'm not interested in right angle (headlights) either. So the Manker E02 is not an option.

Please read my initial post carefully before making light recommendations!

Last edited:

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
Comments noted, thanks.

...So it appears that the light doesn't seem to remember the last USED level setting when switching the light back on later with just ONE click of the switch.

This is not a suggestion, but I just have to comment about how different people can be. I cannot tell you how many lights I have refused to buy because the DO have a memory function. I want my lights to come on in the lowest setting every time I use them, regardless of how I used it previously. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :)

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm that the UI in any Zebralight is not to the original specification outlined by the OP.

Under the OP's original specification, which did not include price as a constraint, the McGizmo Mule AA ticked every box. However, given the later constraint of budget, the Jetbeam E01R is closest to the specification. Acknowledging the OP's desire not to have to modify the light, a small concession on this to fit a diffuser film to the Jetbeam should see all the requirements met.

meeshu

Enlightened
Sorry, I didn't specify price limitation in my original post, but that has now been added (approximately $30 limit).

Thanks for verifying the UI for the Zebralights.

These are the lights I'm currently considering (although they are not entirely ideal, for various reasons) -

Niteye SE-A01 > beam angle 37°, minimum throw 8 meters

Thrunite T10 > beam angle ~ 32°, minimum throw 2 meters

Thrunite Archer > beam angle 28°, minimum throw 1.5 meters

Thrunite Ti5 > beam angle 30°, minimum throw 1 meter

Jetbeam E01R > beam angle 33°, minimum throw ~ 4 meters

Manker E11 (also UTorch UT01) > beam angle 34°, minimum throw 5 meters

Any other suggestions, please?

Thank you.