Little keyring torch?

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened
I'm after a replacement for maglite solitare ( old incandescent type)
on the wishlist is :
something that is is USB rechargable by a standard phone charge cable ( micro usb / usb type C )
something that you twist to turn on and has no buttons to acidentaly get pushed in my pocket
Round barrel type profile, as small as possible, but at the same time as bright as possible
hard wearing metal body

ven

Flashaholic
USB and small...........maybe consider the cooyoo quantum/ fenix uc02/jetbeam 1 options. Fed on the tiny(around 1/2 the size of an AAA cell) 10180 battery, 4.2v and maybe 80-100mah ish. Not much granted, but enough to fire out 100lm when needed fast. Lower mode of 10-20lm for longer uses(not talking hours here though). Key chain wise i find perfect, not too big or heavy to even notice its there, yet it is when you need it!

Come in a variety of flavours like stainless, ti, copper to suit pretty much most. Beam wise is a useful all rounder through the TIR optic.

My most recent pic of my cooyoo(couple of years + its been used now)on the left above the SAK alox.
ypz1RRgl.jpg

2 mode tisty, tighten a bit for low mode, tighten more for high, undo head and USB charged at around 100mah (i measured).

Here is another pic i have found next to mr vader
CbAStgnl.jpg

These are not USB rechargeable, but still tiny little lights from DQG called the spy and the brass version called Fairy(who knows why!)
KuJynTgl.jpg

These are mules(no reflector) which offer a small wall of close up light.....................nice warm light in this case. Very easy and pleasing on tired eyes searching for lost stuff at night.
Madisons jetbeam 1 heat treated off vinh
gwUGsvTl.jpg

Little light pic i have dug out, the cooyoo stainless steel on far left,jetbeam 1, ti in packet and the DGQ lights.
ZSVj7zll.jpg

For the last,..maybe year now i have been using the DQG hobi in work on those keys. Simply because of size/weight advantage over AAA of previous uses. They make a good back up, but if regular use will be required, the smaller cells are not ideal.

Good luck in your choice :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Ven,
You are the man!

Here's my pic of the cooyoo. Mine has also been carried for about 4 years.

Left to right...
1. Streamlight nano... (a total waste)... 2. AAA battery, 3. cooyoo, 4. DQG AAA mini perhaps the smallest AAA light, 5. BLF-348/Singfire SF-348 (AAA light)

a69qmr4_YTqZXlCq_-PqlHJpSCk9gZE2n09eCRJV5hrMgW1NilkO2m6pOCUPsE41gtiJsE0ySqkh-gu3cHtg3Z1oYO5YjptIUhsWQ_pd2reofezr87HwcErgFccBx1G2QN73UoUnSrSBMMRtrSfkxppcG2IbGeYIauDzZIEd53N5OBEc3nItrTd8ycQz6fz7VbQOcpsGBGEKSZOt-XW3DyQaH5pjHv5fu69eP2EZfnGJpVV0S2X29d-0M4qtNRjJNG8cTkHSh5nsomCZYk1Bs76q2B1V0HYQIzShGMwmVBlVOSDQUbDqrRcjHLHCkpqzNUOey16qRLeLiNL6Yp8AocRebIhYQ8zTI9uIcjGAp3EFnlr3aQxtcyffG7gKh8YHsPJHDpGrLABX2DGtezVPJ-0g793FMAyPBb87OsLjw7BLFVs-Q0N0CzvjYhZjW9yjmNi72mtwv9ITUrL0kuRSWWFkhZ4NS83JP4T6KXxQ-F_2p24yS1hpD3N1D7q2PLId1k0CyIAIJtfiAx7eyNNfRQvw2Ho-WY92XF-aGkRNUjutMvmrtp6IkC5Re8x_Qg2XS_yNdq3W3J2V_ABwvYgbA98gW8Bj2lXIsYIdWM2asTMvWfbasyxUvfZRV_V9GpeyAnj6gpvcz5Gub4uSw7-ZsiGQYW2EcZ2a=w1023-h767-no

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a car, and use your ignition key on a keychain with a lot of weight on it, a person could end up with a damaged ignition lockset (expensive to repair) as well as the annoyance of a dangly thing tapping one's knee (in some cases).

Depending on your use, one of those cooyoo's would work for intermittent use. Some people (like myself) carry a Photon pinchlight on their keyring and then carry a more significant torch on their person, clipped to a belt loop or clipped in a pocket. Another option which I have been enjoying is the Klarus TP20 Titanium pen with glass breaker and USB rechargeable, twist-on, XPG3 LED flashlight powered by the 10180 battery. The beam cast is wide and smooth with capable output on high (don't use too much) and a low mode suitable for dark areas, but too bright for a person who wants to maintain fully night adapted eyesight. I won it from Klarus not long ago and am surprised that it provides so much utility. It has mostly displaced a Nitecore TINI (even the copper one!) and Nitecore TIP CRI (excellent tint) except for dirty work where I use my aged TIP. Both Nitecore are USB rechargeable, light and compact. For much of the year, I work around some impulsive individuals who may get angry and so will not be carrying the tungsten-carbide tipped TP20. Clipped in the pocket it is benign looking, but when used as a pen the pointy cap is evident. Rather not take a chance getting poked with that and been wanting anyways to use that copper TINI since purchase. The newer TIP also can come in copper but is not the high CRI version. Always great to see what ven and Poppy bring to the table. Good flashlight hunting!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again, not USB, but the Lumintop Tool would be a good candidate. If you are concerned about accidental activation via the tail switch, order the version with the magnetic tail cap. It does not have a switch, so on/off etc. is handled by twisting the head. The other advantage is that without the switch, the Tool will tail stand easily, and the magnet makes it able to be stuck up to anything metallic (ferrous). Lumintop also makes the Worm, which should also meet your needs.
Another light to look at is the Streamlight Microstream. Single mode, and the tail switch is stiff enough that there should be no problems with accidental activation. I have EDCed mine for close to ten years and have never had that happen.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Factor equipment ghost 130. It's a beast, you won't be disappointed. More people need to know about that brand.

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
Recently got an olight lr1, which fits your specs. I love the light and was only $20 incl. battery.

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I went with the Fenix UC02SS in the end, Gald i did, because when MY recently bought Fenix TK35UE 2018 model fell apart, that ( and my phone ) was all i had

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened
And 6 months down the line the little fenix is almost dead, it looks OK, but all it does is flicker most of the time, screw it down a little way and the low mode sort of comes on, go a little furhter and you get a bright flash before it goes out all together, screw it right the way down and nothing.
useless pile of crap

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
My olight is still going strong. On my keychain I forget it's there and needed it many times.

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened
Update: Cleaned the threads, no difference - still the same issues.

Took it round to someone that used to repair watches ( retired) and fixed it.
the problem is/was that the internal circuit board was loose, there are two holes in the circuit board that, with the right tool can be rotated - screwed in/out, after screwing it ina little the torch nbow works again, however over time it will come loose again as it appears not to be locked in

Richard_T

Newly Enlightened
Picture of inside the head, the blue circuit board appears to just screw down ( and up then loose)

the centre has a positive contact that flexes i'm guessing that it makes the contact for full power when fully down.
At the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position are two location holes, these were turned and the board rotated ( screwed back down) after this, all works OK, for now

Latest posts