2C Maglite models that use PR bulbs vs bi-pin bulbs?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in getting a 2C Maglite that I can put any of the various PR-style LED modules in (for a friend...really). However, while I'm having no trouble finding 2C maglite flashlights for sale on-line, none of the descriptions make it clear which style of bulb the flashlight uses.

Is there a site somewhere that lists which Maglite flashlights use which style of bulb?

Thanks!

--flatline

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all of the incandescent (Krypton/xenon) C cell Mags with the exception of the ML25IT have sockets that will accommodate PR LED drop-ins. Some of the newer ones (xenon) might use bi-pin bulbs, but have a holder that adapts the bi-pins to the old style PR based socket - BUT the collar that holds in the bulb holder for the bi-pins has a smaller opening and may not fit most LED drop-ins, but you could use them if you had a old bulb collar. If you find a light marked on the package as having krypton bulbs you should be getting a light with the original PR bulb instead of the newer xenon bi-pin bulb/bulb holder set up. I think the ML25IT's are an exception and only take bi-pin bulbs?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Replying to myself...poor form, I suppose. Anyways...

I've found some pr-style LED modules that claim they fit the S2C015 and S2C016 models.

Less specific, but looking at a couple sites, it appears that the Krypton bulb is a pr-style bulb. The Xenon bulbs appear to be bi-pin style.

--flatline

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nite Ize 55 and 74 lumen drop-ins will work with the xenon bi-pin collar, most other drop-ins will need a old style collar that came with the lights with krypton PR bulbs or you can ream or drill out the bi-pin collar to fit the drop-in, though this is a bit of a PIA.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If it lists xenon bulb it's a bi-pin. If it says Krypton bulb it's a PR base bulb'd version.

The bulb retainer collar on a PR based has a larger hole to accomodate the globe of a PR bulb. You can use the bi-pin adapter with that one. The smaller hole in the collar of the bi-pin needs to be increased for a PR to fit.

A few twists with a steak knife will make the hole large enough for a PR bulb.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little slow and just saw this today. Does an LED drop in not work a Mag ML25IT? I would imagine they'd work on anything with a PR base bulb. Like the other posters have said the collar has a smaller opening but Mr. Fixer is right, it only takes 2 seconds to open up.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML25IT is a fixed bi-pin bulb holder. It is not readily changeable like the PR setup that has a bi-pin adapter option. The IT version is bi-pin proprietary.

And minimag drop in stuff doesn't fit.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ML25IT is a fixed bi-pin bulb holder. It is not readily changeable like the PR setup that has a bi-pin adapter option. The IT version is bi-pin proprietary.

And minimag drop in stuff doesn't fit.

I haven't had any luck finding a drop-in that would work with the IT either, Mag as always seems intent on keeping things proprietary with these lights. It is a shame since it would be an ideal small host for various PR base drop ins. You might be able to gut or partially gut it to make one work but I doubt it would be worth the effort. On the upside the ML25LT LED model isn't much more expensive and is pretty decent in it's own right. The 2 Cell model doesn't seem terribly popular here due to the 2 hour run-time but I think it is under credited since the output is regulated and consistently bright over the entire time. The drop off when the batteries are spent is significant but it doesn't leave you in complete darkness.

flatline - Not sure about you area but you may want to give B&M stores a try. I think that one of the surplus stores near me still has new old stock PR base Mags in the C size. They are rare to find nowdays but there may be one at a hardware or similar store still for sale.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
flatline - Not sure about you area but you may want to give B&M stores a try. I think that one of the surplus stores near me still has new old stock PR base Mags in the C size. They are rare to find nowdays but there may be one at a hardware or similar store still for sale.

There are some mom-and-pop hardware stores scattered around the area. If I'm near one, I'll pop my head in. Worst case, the S2C016 seems plentiful enough on Ebay.

--flatline

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one, but I did look at a ML25IT at a store and it looked like through the package, that the reflector might need to be opened up a bit for a drop-in as well? If Mag came out with these 30 years ago like they should have and there were millions around, I am sure people would figure out a way to use them with LED drop-ins, but considering that the factory LED versions cost about the same and are much more readily available or at least more widely distributed, why bother?

PJ

Enlightened
A little bit late to this thread but I have seen the PR based Maglites at Ace Hardware stores recently.
If you sign up for their rewards program they have discounts aviailable every so often.