Failure of 80 Volt Kobalt Batteries

sharingsunshine

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have really learned a lot from this forum. So much so, I purchased a La Crosse charger and have greatly extended my battery lifes and recovered many previously dead cells. Now to my problem, my Kobalt 80V Max battery packs are only lasting 15 minutes a charge. Previously, they lasted an hour per charge. Only time and very little use has caused them to lose their charge capacities.

My question: Can I purchase a smart charger that will be effective for these batteries. If so, what brands would be the best to consider.

Lastly, I know there is a warranty on the batteries but I don't have proof of purchase any more and I have read numerous complaints that the batteries that have been replaced are worse or no better.

So, I am wanting to know if a smart charger would help me to alleviate my capacity issues? I like the mower but 15 minutes a charge is getting tiresome at best.

Thanks,

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery pack itself should be "smart", and doing all the correct things like balancing, etc. I suspect your battery is suffering from some weak cells, which brings down the whole series of 10 cells. If this is a common problem, then it's likely the mower uses cheap cells, or they get too hot during operation. BTW, I presume that after 15 minutes your battery is drained, and not just shut down from overheating?