So I gifted a Malkoff

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that I have a huge collection, only about half a dozen but I've met this guy yesterday, I was selling a phone and he was the buyer.
He was a tow truck driver, talked to him, turns out his ex took his 4 kids out of state to the South. They aren't even married apparently. I told him about my nightmare custody fight that lasted for 7 years and as a sign of solidarity gifted him my Malkoff M361 encompassed in the FiveMega body.
I first asked what kind of light do you have, he had some kind of Home Depot-grade POS that he had to shake to get to work.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was very kind and supportive of you. It's good for him to know that he's not the only one facing that type of adversity. I can't imagine having to go through with something like this in life.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I told him there is "Light of the end of the Tunnel" and anytime he feels depressed to just look at it, at his gift.

I gave him a bunch of 123s as well, turns out it was compatible with another 123 micro light he had that was attached to some kind of hardware. I gave him one used 18650 but he likely won't use it all that much. His previous device was some kind of 2xAA device for 9.99 as it appeared. I thought about running home and giving him a Mag but since he already got some tactikool 123s this might actually work well for him.

In actuality, his ex made a disastrous error on her part. Since she cannot just take off with the kids to another state. This is now a federal case. He should file for full custody and get it all.

It's smart to always carry a semi-nice light that you can give away. I am talking maglite grade or better. I have more Malkoffs than can ever use so that was a simple decision. It was for sale without generating any interest so it all worked out nicely.

He needs it a heck of a lot more than I do.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure they will.
I can empathize having been through some rough spots in the last decade.
My experience made "War of the Roses" look like a picnic.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a custody fight that lasted for over 7 years. It was a completely nightmare experience.

I won but took heavy damage. Lost track of how much I spent.

Sold my entire PM -- precious metal fund to finance the $300/hour lawyers that got me nothing. Ex was deliberately trying to run me out of money.

It has been the biggest waste of time, space, energy and money ever.

Well, usually is. Fifty one percent of the time, and YMMV.

If you want kids, just adopt some.

Now I am a single father.

When you need an attorney, no one else will suffice. That being stated - A wise man once said, "Attorneys don't create wealth, they divide it."

When The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I were engaged (35 years ago) I promised her - "Sweet heart, divorce will never be an option. Murder might be, but I'll never divorce you."

That's a joke, folks. Just a joke. However, I did say it, and she laughed. Still tells people today that my sense of humor is what sealed the deal.

~ Chance

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read the fine print before signing.

Some jokes about marriage:

Find a woman you don't like and buy her a house. Then leave. There, I just saved you 15 years of misery.

Marriage is not a word but a sentence.

I wish someone had told me all this 12 years ago.

In all seriousness, I did get a child out of the deal. So not all is lost.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thats a very nice thing to do etc, hats off sir:bow: Gestures like that, no matter how small or large do put faith back in humanity. It not a nice world at times, well done for making a terrible situation to be in, that little easier. Although a torch maybe a torch(all be it a bloody good one in this case), the gift and thought behind makes the stick with bulb priceless and never forgot.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's something I came to realize. True happiness is sharing things. Not accumulating things.

True happiness is not *things*, period - it's experiences.

Happiness is not an object, or an item, it's a process. And you get there by sharing. By giving.

Seriously if I have 3 items that are exactly the same, it does not make any sense for me to keep them all and happiness-wise, you will be much farther if someone who has zero of these items gets one with your assistance.

A lot of people - not just in our society but everywhere in the world and in all time periods thought happiness could be derived from possessions. Yet they somehow sacrifices experiences. Making coin instead of having children is one glorious example.

What good is having stuff if you lack elsewhere?

If someone gave me 100 lights, I would keep just one or two and give away the rest to maximize the benefits around the world. To me, that would be far more rewarding than looking at safe full of lights that I cannot possibly use during my entire life. Really the only thing that would upset me is if the person who is gifted the item throws it away. Maybe that's just part of the package you have to accept, say 20% loss.

so you have to be smart. Generosity is not an excuse to be stupid.

Came across this the other day; thought it worth sharing. -

E3fVAvh.jpg

night.hoodie

Enlightened
That's easy for Einstein to say, the man saw more tail than a rock star, and his wife tolerated it. I am all for brotherly solidarity, but there always is at least two sides to every story, and suspending judgement until the fairer gender lies is the safer position.

Speaking as a childless bachelor, I think all men (but that One) are fallible, and moreso dedicated fathers, for the immediate drop in IQ that fatherhood instantly earns them (until their children are about 25, then their intelligence drastically improves, at least according to Twain). Again speaking as a childless bachelor, the most common mistake I see young fathers make is to put either themselves or their children first, at the top of what is most important for a functioning family. What I believe is the correct strategy, and only successful family strategy I have ever witnessed, is if the father places his wife and mother of his children first before all things including personal survival, and the wife and mother places her children first before all things including survival. But I am very inexperienced and very opinionated. Women can be cruel, I know that! But when I see fury like Hell hath not, I wonder if somewhere there was possibly a woman scorned.

That said, etc, your generocity and compassion is exemplary, just outstanding. You did a very good thing, and that kind of behavior enriches all humankind. Way to be.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
So were you a flashaholic about it and stood there for 15 minutes explaining what "Malkoff" and "Fivemega" were, or did you keep it casual? :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good on you etc.

And very wise observations Mr. Hoodie. Spot on.

11 years on my end. But my kids were ok, and turned out ok.

Wouldn't wish it on my enemy. But I think sometimes we have to go through a tortorous process so that the smile on our face after the dust has settled will be an inspiration to others.

My wife's oldest came to live in my house. Whenever I successfully predict his formers next wack-o move he is flabergasted. At first he thought I was a magician, but after a bit of suffering he understands that divorce wasn't invented in 2014. So he seeks out advice from his mother and I. Then is usually relieved to know the tricks being played are what he is/was prepared for. Doesn't make it easy for him, but it keeps him from being lured into snares that the X will gladly use against him later.

Btw; it's the wolf I spoke of a while ago CG. He has 50/50 custody of his son and he's a budding flashaholic.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Again speaking as a childless bachelor, the most common mistake I see young fathers make is to put either themselves or their children first, at the top of what is most important for a functioning family. What I believe is the correct strategy, and only successful family strategy I have ever witnessed, is if the father places his wife and mother of his children first before all things including personal survival, and the wife and mother places her children first before all things including survival.

Father of one here (and soon to be two) and I wholeheartedly agree with this, though my version changes it up a little where both the father and mother places the family above all else. In any case, it's the act of always giving to the family that makes it work, because if everyone gives, then no one ever has to take.

Having said that, finding that life partner who's willing to devote themselves as such (and someone you're willing to do the same with) is not a trivial thing.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So were you a flashaholic about it and stood there for 15 minutes explaining what "Malkoff" and "Fivemega" were, or did you keep it casual? :)

You funny. I did show him the 3 modes the torch has, and gave me all of my spare 123 I had in the car, which was about 12. I did keep that little cell holder, whoever made it, that holds 6 cells. I have plenty of cells so that's not an issue.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Father of one here (and soon to be two) and I wholeheartedly agree with this, though my version changes it up a little where both the father and mother places the family above all else. In any case, it's the act of always giving to the family that makes it work, because if everyone gives, then no one ever has to take.

Having said that, finding that life partner who's willing to devote themselves as such (and someone you're willing to do the same with) is not a trivial thing.

This does leave a huge question unanswered as to the course of action to pick when your partner does *not* devote himself/herself to you or to your children but *does* devote himself/herself to your destruction and / or misery.

i.e. I thought about the above about a decade ago before I got married. It's a very naive line of thinking, that if *you* are perfect father and husband, it's not at all sufficient. You cannot carry the load for 2 people. There is nothing you can do sometimes. Nothing. If the other person turns out to be a warrior against you.

BTW. My ex went on to other men. Had a long-term boyfriend. For about 4 years. Had a child with him. He is 3 y.o. now.
Repeated the entire cycle with him too. False protective orders, 'the law' in the residence at 12:30AM, courts, legal fights and now a custody fight. Repeated my experience to a T.

She got the boyfriend to assist her in her fight and oh the irony, they are fighting now like 2 scorpions in a can.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done, sir. That was a splendid thing to do.

And a good philosophy - most of us on here have far too many lights - carrying a 'Gifter' is such a nice touch.

Sorry to hear of your familial troubles, but glad you have survived and continue to prosper.

:grouphug: