Simple Recomendation

rdduarte

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I need a simple recomendation for a flashlight, it's for use mixed use, in rural area. I have been search on gearbest and ebay, but don't found the right flashlight yet (I saw intersting items, but doesn't have batteries and charger neither). Sorry if my English it's not perfect ;)

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $50.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained)

4) Size:

Not important
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I want big output!!

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
____I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
____I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
____I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
I don't want remove batteries to charge

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
That's OK

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
If have focus it's better, but not extremely necessary

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

>=40/50m

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want a selector ring.
Can have beacon or Strobe

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions

____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

EU Plug or USB

Thank you guys, can you give me good online stores to search and buy (Europe)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a Nitecore Lights store in I believe Singapore that would be a good place to look at various options. [I am assuming you are European. I know there are third party stores there that sell Nitecore as well. In the US there is the Nitecore Store as well] Nitecore has a whole series of lights, their MH series, that have a USB jack so they can be recharged without taking the cells out. but you can still swap cells for fully charged ones as well. They have other lights that might interest you as well. The EA41, EA42, EA45, and EA11 are all smaller lights that use AA cells, and some, like the EA11, can also use the Li-Ion 14450 equivalent size cells for extra capacity. I EDC (Every Day Carry) the EA11 with a 14450 cell. If I expect to be in a situation where that might not be enough light I add my P30. It is a single 18650/two CR123 cell light with a larger reflector that can easily shine for several hundred meters, yet is small enough to comfortably wear on your belt. And I believe all of these lights can be had for around $50 to $60 USD.

Last edited:

rdduarte

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for recomendation, pointed me to one direction, i'm buying a Klarus XT11GT (more expensive, but....) what's difference between Cree XPH35 HD E4 and Cree XPH35 HI E4 led, and what's better? Thank You

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for recomendation, pointed me to one direction, i'm buying a Klarus XT11GT (more expensive, but....) what's difference between Cree XPH35 HD E4 and Cree XPH35 HI E4 led, and what's better? Thank You

I'm pretty sure the HD emitters (high density) have a flat (vs. domed) coating, whereas the HI emitters (high intensity) have a typical clear dome. By dissolving the dome off of a LED, or slicing it off, we can get better throw, at the expense of some 'tint shifting'.

E4 is just the 'output' bin, I'm guessing.

Chris

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the HD emitters (high density) have a flat (vs. domed) coating, whereas the HI emitters (high intensity) have a typical clear dome. By dissolving the dome off of a LED, or slicing it off, we can get better throw, at the expense of some 'tint shifting'.

E4 is just the 'output' bin, I'm guessing.

Chris

Sorry, but you have mixed the markings :) HD is a domed one and HI is a flat one which gives a better throw.

Last edited:

rdduarte

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, the HI on gearbest it's marked as "Discontinued", I bought the HD

And about flashlight, what is your opinion? I'm waiting arrive. Thank you