Looking for Warm or Neutral Lantern using Eneloops...

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for a budget (below $50) lantern with a warm or possibly neutral white LED. Since I already have a supply of AA and AAA Eneloop Pro batteries, I was hoping to find a lantern that gets long run-times on those. Since starting the search, it looks like a lot of models are rebranded or copied by numerous companies. Some of the possible contenders I've found have multiple settings including a warm option, like the "LiteXpress LXL909078B Camp 32 Lantern" on Amazon. I get that people like having options but I really just don't care for cool white. I probably won't ever use a cool white setting. I'm just looking for an eye-friendly light source with decent color rendition, predominantly for power outages and occasional outdoor use.

There are some older threads on this but I'd love some current recommendations.

ven

Flashaholic
Maybe check out the Fenix cl20, it is 2x AA fed(use loops) or even 1x cr123 if required. The tint/colour temp is on the warm side of neutral to my eyes, so that would be around 4000k to me. Either way its very pleasing and easy on the eye and can recommend for a short list. Its also pretty tough, as my daughter found knocking it off the garage beam(magnetic base) to the floor(over 6ft) onto concrete. It bounced, i cringed..........that was it!.

Should be able to find some deals as there is a newer rechargeable one out(think built in pack which is not ideal for me in a lantern).

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
Yup, like what ven recommended, definitely get the Fenix cl20. It takes either 2xAA or 1xcr123 and is at around 4000k tint. There is red light mode is available too should the need arise. I have one and found the tint quite pleasing.

Another contender is Nitecore la10 cri. It takes 1xAA and is at the cooler end of neutral white, around 5000k. The nichia led it uses is superb too. So there you have it.

If your budget only allows you to choose one, then I'll say go for the Fenix cl20.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I've looked at some reviews of the Fenix cl20. The color tint looks decent and it will use Eneloops. It's small and easy to transport. It's probably great for backpacking when space is at a premium. It can be mounted magnetically and that has its uses too. However, it reminds me more of those old tap lights that were pitched "As Seen on TV". I'm looking for something with a more traditionally "lantern" form factor.

I'm not thrilled about the short run times either. I'd much rather use three or four batteries and have it last longer. I don't love the single-button mode cycling but I've run into that with flashlights too. I understand cost and size constraints in some models but can't we do better, even on a cheap lantern? Would it be too much trouble to have hardware controls, like a little dial that lets you select a mode before you turn it on? Whether the cl20 or some other lights, I think it would be awesome to easily and exactly choose starting out in high, low, night-vision red, etc.; and to be able to change those modes instantaneously without having to hold or push some button a bunch of times.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Cree 40426; warm emitter, 3xAA, 2 days on low, 1 day on high, locator light, 5"x2" standard lantern form factor, removable top, hangs either end. 110 lumens on high so it's about right for a dining table/workspace, not for filling a room or outdoor area, but this is what you want for power outages.

I'd recommend looking into using a warm emitter flashlight ceiling-bounced - this is vastly better than using a lantern as the glare from the light source is minimized (or not even visible if the emitter is above eye level) and the smoothly diffuse light radiating from the ceiling is more natural and cozy. There are a lot more options in warm emitter flashlights than lanterns as well.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, StarHalo. This one was on my radar but one of the top reviews on Amazon blasts it for having a lot of artifacts. (See here.) Having just stepped up from my old incandescent Maglites into the world of modern LED flashlights, I was enjoying the lack of artifacts. Have you noticed an issue with artifacts on this lantern?

I only recently started upgrading and I haven't strayed from choices that'll use my Eneloop Pros. The warmest LED flashlights I have are the Massdrop Brass AAA Pocket Flashlight and the Terralux Lightstar 80. The former is fantastic but as a pocket/key-chain light, it's not really up to the task here. The latter has proven a wonderful around-the-house and general purpose flashlight in the short time I've had it. It's fun, handy, and surprising in how much use I've been getting out of it. So I tried your recommendation in a very dark room. The 85-lumen light against the ceiling provides a useful gentle glow for the whole room. This will work in a pinch but I'm still looking for something longer lasting and a little brighter.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Having just stepped up from my old incandescent Maglites into the world of modern LED flashlights, I was enjoying the lack of artifacts. Have you noticed an issue with artifacts on this lantern?

I don't use it; once you use naturally diffuse ceiling-bounce, all these issues go away..

The 85-lumen light against the ceiling provides a useful gentle glow for the whole room. This will work in a pinch but I'm still looking for something longer lasting and a little brighter.

For power outages, the idea is to keep your night vision so that you can more efficiently use less light. Mankind lived by dim firelight at night for a million years, you'll find once you stop using mains electricity to light your space like daylight all the time, you're actually evolved to operate with very little lighting. ~100 lumens for a family space, ~25 lumens for doing a task on your own, ~2 lumens relaxing alone, ~0.1 lumens for directly lighting a page/task. Anything more than this just puts more light on what you can already see and reduces battery life.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
That 2xAAA Lightstar 80 is supposed to get five hours on standard alkaline. I'm still on my first pair of Eneloop Pro. I'm not sure how much longer they'll run but it'll still be less than eight hours. I'd imagine that a 2xAA could get longer run times but I'm not finding what I'm looking for...

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
In a power outage situation, you only use the ~100 lumen mode when gathered with the family/others after dark, which would be dinner, so that's maybe 30-40 minutes on high, then everyone's off by themselves [with their own lights] so it's back to the ~25 lumen or less mode depending on what you're doing. Combined with the fact that everyone will go to bed early during an outage, you're looking at maybe 3-4 hours flashlight use total for the entire day. At that mild rate of use, you'll only be swapping out batteries once every few days.

angerdan

Enlightened
I was looking for a budget (below $50) lantern with a warm or possibly neutral white LED.
There are some older threads on this but I'd love some current recommendations.
I can recommend you the LUMINTOP CL2.
You can use it with 4x AA and is has neutral white 3650K color temperature.