Surefire round-body A2 cut down to become round-body A2 single-cell extender?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried this? Would it be possible to cut down either end of a round-body A2 to make a single-cell extender for an A2, in order to make a 2x16500? Would there be enough material to make a 17mm or 18mm extender, in order to match an A2 bored body? Starting with a cut-off tail end (which already has one end done for the tailcap, I don't know if there would be enough material to cut threads for the inside of the cut-off end for 16mm/17mm/18mm cells. There would be more material on the bezel end, except for the area cut out for the bezel. It would not be pretty, but with a Koala or Calipsoii led ring, it could handle the voltage of 2x Li-ion cells.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Sounds possible, but why would it be any more difficult or expensive to have an extender milled from billet stock and threaded, thus ending up with at least 2 functional flashlights instead of only one with some extra parts?

The A2 with stock ring and LEDs can already handle the voltage of 2xLiion. The regulator kicks in and keeps the lamp at the same constant brightness as primary cells, and the LEDs are overdriven more than they already are with primaries, and no one has reported killing the stock ring LEDs. Also, you get decent lamp runtime with 2x16340 cells, nearly the same amount of lamp light in regulation as with 2 primaries, about 45 minutes. Though once it drops out of regulation, you know those secondary cells are down to 2.5V each, which is taking them to the lowest they can go without incurring damage, perhaps dangerously low. Most will want to swap cells when they reach between 3V and 3.6V, and that is hard to determine.

Also, consider with 2x A2 Aviators, used in sequence, you get twice the runtime! That's probably more runtime than you'll see from one A2 with this hypothetical extender and 2x16500.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're absolutely right, night.hoodie. I was thinking it would save someone some work if they could do it from the tail end, but it is still wasteful. It's just that I saw just an A2 body for sale somewhere, and it got me to thinking. Also, Tana, for example (and there may be others), is able to bore a round-body A2 for 18mm. So, if this could work, it seems that it would be possible to run an A2 on 2x18500. I should start a thread asking if someone would be willing to do an extender from aluminum bar stock. Thanks for responding!

Last edited: