Hiking/camping backup light

Aaron73

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

I'm looking for a small, lightweight backup for my Petzl hiking/camping headlamp if it decides to go south while out in the backcountry. :)

Using the recommendation template:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

- Mail order or Online is fine

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

- Up to $100

3) Format:

- flashlight or headlamp - self-contained

4) Size:

- Micro, tiny, or small depending on weight (lighter is better and materials like Ti or Al can be considered)

5) Emitter/Light source:

- LED (Cree or other high-quality LED)

6) Manufacturer:

- large or specialty manufacturer is fine

7) What power source do you want to use?

- Single Lithium AAA as they will be the same used in Petzl

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

- Multiple modes would be appreciated (firefly to 100 or more lumens at max)

- Open to burst/turbo mode option

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

- Wide throw

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
5-50 yards (camp use and spotting bears ;)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
- 60-120 minutes depending on mode

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

- very important as is waterproofing

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

- would prefer tail or body mounted switch if possible

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

- multiple light levels with SOS if possible

14)Material/Finish/Coating

- Al or Ti

15) Water resistance
- IPX7 or IPX8

16) Storage conditions
- In-house and Emergency kit

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

- red filter would be great
- Pocket/belt clip or keyring

Thanks for any recommendations you can offer!

- Aaron

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go along with the Tool as well. NiteIze sells an elastic headband that will hold a light like the Tool if you want it to emulate your Petzl. Best part is they are cheap enough you could get a couple. If you shop around you can find a set that offers the optional magnetic tailcap as well as the normal clicky. Or you could just order the magnetic tailcap as an additional purchase.
If color rendition is important, get the version with the Nichia emitter. It has slightly less output, but really makes the colors snap out.

Aaron73

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations. I had to exclude the Maglite as it is 3xAAA. I ordered a couple of the Lumintops via ebay and they should be here in a couple of weeks - well before I'll need them for my planned camping trip.

Thanks again for the assistance!

- Aaron

adnj

Enlightened
Excellent choice. Maybe when you go camping you'll find one of mine. I seem to be losing flashlights all of the time. :D

Aaron73

Newly Enlightened
Excellent choice. Maybe when you go camping you'll find one of mine. I seem to be losing flashlights all of the time. :D

I'll keep a lookout. :laughing: Perhaps I'll find one to complement all the dead/broken flashlights I seem to find on the streets around our house.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to ask for advise of which light to get. I finally came to conclusion that for camping and hiking, nothing beats headlamp. I want both my hands to be free when doing these activities. Since most headlamps can really pack a punch in the brightness department, really no need to carry a handheld these days.

I remembered asking for a light for fishing... can't imagine I can hold the rod, reel, and a flashlight. Silly me. LOL.