CR123 or AA Headlamp - Fenix HL50 or other

Sos24

Enlightened
I am looking to buy a new headlamp that uses either CR123, AA, or both. This will be predominantly for emergency use during power outages such as during hurricanes and storms. I am not looking for something extremely bright but would like it to have at least a couple brightness levels.

My current headlamp runs off multiple AAA, but because it is the only thing other than TV/DVD remotes that uses AAA. I have lots of AA and CR123 rechargeables and primaries for my flashlights and lanterns, so would like to go to one of those.

I saw the Fenix HL50 and it looks like it could be what I'm looking for but I thought I'd ask here before purchasing.

Does anyone have experience with the HL50 who could give me their opinions?
What are some other quality headlamps that use CR123, AA, or both.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The Thrunite TH20 is a decent dedicated headlamp, or you could go with the Manker E03H for more versatility.

Zebralight has some more expensive but very nice options for both CR123 and AA.

WDR65

Enlightened
I have several in the types you're looking at.

The Fenix HL50 is decent and the dual fuel capability is a good feature but its reflector based beam is focused more on throw and while it does okay at this its not as useful at most general tasks. It is also the only one I've had that when the battery dropped below a certain voltage it cut off completely on me in a dark swamp one morning. No warning and no dimming, just off. That was with a CR123, and it may be different with an NIMH or Alkaline AA.

The Zebralight H52F I have nothing negative to say about. I keep one in my travel backpack along with some Lithium AA's. It throws decently on turbo and at lower levels is great for getting around the house and reading. I used this the most during Hurricane Matthew. I think its a great general purpose headlamp.

In the small headlamps the one I use the most now is the Olight H1 which I've added the rechargeable kit to. It has a similar beam to the Zebralight but the RCR123 battery and magnetic charger make it my go to. It gets used almost every night for a few minutes.

These are just the small headlamps that I have. I prefer ones that can use at least two different battery chemistries. I have several different 18650 headlamps and while I like their runtimes and outputs, the lack of ability to use primary batteries concerns me for longer term power outages.

Hope this helps.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at zebralight. They have a AA and cr123 line. If you want something super bright, then they have an 18650 line with 1000+ lumens. All models have excellent UI, excellent build quality, and excellent durability. They're also very lightweight. I have one of the older AA models and it is my number one utilized light for EVERYTHING! From multi-day back country backpacking trips, to driveway oil changes, to cutting my toddler son's toenails. And if you're looking to use it primarily for emergency situations, get the CR123 model and some Surefire batteries and you can keep them stored away for years.

Sos24

Enlightened
I have several in the types you're looking at.

The Fenix HL50 is decent and the dual fuel capability is a good feature but its reflector based beam is focused more on throw and while it does okay at this its not as useful at most general tasks. It is also the only one I've had that when the battery dropped below a certain voltage it cut off completely on me in a dark swamp one morning. No warning and no dimming, just off. That was with a CR123, and it may be different with an NIMH or Alkaline AA.

The Zebralight H52F I have nothing negative to say about. I keep one in my travel backpack along with some Lithium AA's. It throws decently on turbo and at lower levels is great for getting around the house and reading. I used this the most during Hurricane Matthew. I think its a great general purpose headlamp.

In the small headlamps the one I use the most now is the Olight H1 which I've added the rechargeable kit to. It has a similar beam to the Zebralight but the RCR123 battery and magnetic charger make it my go to. It gets used almost every night for a few minutes.

These are just the small headlamps that I have. I prefer ones that can use at least two different battery chemistries. I have several different 18650 headlamps and while I like their runtimes and outputs, the lack of ability to use primary batteries concerns me for longer term power outages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info on the HL50, it has me leaning in another direction. Cutting off without warning is definitely not something I want in a headlamp

Both the Zebralight and Olight look really nice.

Edit: I decided to go with the Olight H1. With its compatibility with its compatibility with 16340s, I think it will fir my needs well.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
.........Edit: I decided to go with the Olight H1. With its compatibility with its compatibility with 16340s, I think it will fir my needs well.
Good choice. That is currently one of my favorites. The Fenix HL50 came out before the H1 and so I already had an HL50 when the H1 Nova came out.

I did a comparison list between the HL50 for my own justification as to what I like and don't like in helping me decide if I wanted to sell the HL50 after I had picked up an H1 Nova.

The HL50 has no tailcap lockout. The H1 Nova does.
The HL50 cannot use 16340 battery but will take AA. The H1 Nova will take a 16340 but no AA.
The HL50 and H1 Nova both have single click to turn on. Each additional press advances the HL50 whereas you have to press and hold the H1 Nova to advance modes.
The HL50 is a press and hold to turn off. The H1 Nova is a single press.
The H1 Nova is a very floody beam whereas the HL50 is still somewhat floody, it does have a more defined hotspot.
Both have good regulation, mode spacing, fairly low parasitic battery drain and good neutral white tints.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have a HL50. Works well with either an AA or CR123. I like the beam and tint. The biggest downside for me is no real lock out.

Big_S

Newly Enlightened
I've got the HL50 also, I like the tint and beam, but the parasitic draw seems higher than expected, a couple of months and the CR123a is dead, there is no tail cap lockout (because the threads form the electrical pathway for the AA adapter).