Missing Omicron

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello folks,

If you take a look at this thread, you'll see that CPF member Karlthev had his Omicron and its customised rayskin holster stolen whilst in transit. Please can all members keep an eye out for threads such as "What light is this?", "What batteries does this light take?" or sales threads on here, eBay, CPF Facebook or Flashlight Fanatics Facebook?

For reference, an Omicron looks like this

Many thanks,

Mick

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stolen Omicron

Give it time. Did he contact postal police? They'll give it more attention then the postmaster

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks a million for the attention, Mike, PARTICULARLY the post of the original thread and the picture! I had just posted in the WTB section in a somewhat sarcastic manner and, had my thread closed and referred to post here instead.

Yes, I did contact the Postal authorities in the town of intended delivery. They are investigating the situation where the contents disappeared.

The situation is that the box was (presumably) machine damaged (opened) the Omicron and the Rayskin case were seen or fell out and PooF, vanished into thin area...or someone's pocket I'll wager. It's a very nice light and, an equally nice carry holster and, even to the uninformed, it's an attractive bauble if nothing else. As far as I can tell by tracking the computer system, the first location in Pennsylvania (where I reside) it arrived was the Lehigh Valley distribution center. It was scanned in at 1:08 AM on July 6th and, left the facility at 3:00 AM. I believe that was where and when the box was damaged and, the contents (light and case) got into someone's hands....."lost".

I have a beef, complaint with both the Postal authorities there in the Lehigh facility who should have stopped the shipping at that point and contacted the sender or me, the recipient. They did not. I have a rather obvious complaint as well with the individual who took the contents and didn't report it. For the damaged, EMPTY box to continue on its' way to me is somewhat hard for me to believe. I wish I could post the picture here but, half of one side of the cardboard box was torn off! This wasn't a bump or a scrape or an ink mark. . What I am trying to convey is that there is little incentive for the individual to be honest and come forward with the contents.

I didn't initially post here on CFP in the belief that whomever took my property is also a member of CPF rather that this forum is open to everyone who has computer access and interest in our hobby. As such, information on my missing light and/or case may reach the person who now is in illegal possession of it---either on this forum or on other forums associated with lights or not. I may be completely naive however, that individual just may choose to return them to their rightful owner--me. How I can't say but, creativity would help---tell a friend of a friend...whatever works. I'd really like them back! I've only seen pictures of them and, a bill in the mail! Come on, fess up!

Anyway, hopefully I've clearly expressed myself and the situation and, all turns out well. In the meantime, thanks to all who have or may help in the future!

Karl

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Although this Rant is now posted in The Cafe, please keep in mind CPF Cheers'n'Jeers Rule 4 ...

4. DO NOT ACCUSE ANYONE OF FRAUD
The rules in a Court of Law are very stringent on the burden of proof for claims of "Fraud". They are even more stringent here: DO NOT ACCUSE ANYONE or ANY VENDOR OF IT. Save it for your real-world lawsuit. This is not the venue for claims of "Fraud".

Carriers now often use automated package processing machines that, yes, unfortunately do sometimes severely damage boxes, and thus may result in the contents getting separated from the packaging (which may continue through the delivery stream)

Was the item securely fastened to the inner walls of the box ?

Did the item include your (or the senders) contact information anywhere inside (the item) ?

Was the shipment insured ?

I understand that this is certainly an upsetting and frustrating situation, but presently the exact circumstances of your loss is not entirely clear.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

I Just edited , in part, my recent post. "Fraud" accusations removed.

I have not had an in depth discussion with the sender via phone which may or may not have addressed some of the specific questions you have posed---taping on the inside, address paper included within the box but, I am aware the box was not unfortunately, insured.

The precautions which you have addressed certainly do identify additional protections against loss and, in retrospect, may have cleared up this situation more expeditiously. In defense of the sender, I have received many items from this same individual, via US Postal, which arrived without damage and with items included. From my position, US Postal has USUALLY done a real stand-up job. This one the exception.

I'm not intentionally being offensive nor posting in deference to CPF rules and guidelines, merely was looking for support from the membership. Hopefully, that will still occur. So far, the US Postal service has not shed any light on my predicament.

Karl

archimedes

Flashaholic

Thank you for doing so.

I know all too well how unpleasant it is to have something go missing in the post, both as a sender and as a recipient.

Sadly, there are many ways things can go awry, some benign and some malign :(

Some of the precautions I mentioned above, I have learned through my experiences here.

I hope your items are recovered and returned to you safely, and soon.

Please keep us updated.

It's entirely possible that a machine damaged the shipping carton and that the contents fell to the floor...... However, sooner or later a postal employee put their hands on the damaged package and surely realized it was empty. That employee should have notified their supervisor, then he or she should have begun a search for the missing contents. Since the rules dictate we not label that action, or lack of, fraud, can we at least state it as being malfeasance?

~ Chance

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

Certainly very frustrating.
Last month, porch pirates stole the contents of my REI package from my doorstep, leaving me an empty, opened box. Tracking said it was left at 3pm, I got home at 5pm to find the empty box. I'm told the thieves see a delivery truck, and when it leaves, just run up and steal. I usually try to get deliveries made to work now.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's entirely possible that a machine damaged the shipping carton and that the contents fell to the floor...... However, sooner or later a postal employee put their hands on the damaged package and surely realized it was empty. That employee should have notified their supervisor, then he or she should have begun a search for the missing contents. Since the rules dictate we not label that action, or lack of, fraud, can we at least state it as being malfeasance?

~ Chance

I'll not use the "F" word again however, I do believe your thoughts on the course of events are probable. My Postal delivery man was even red-faced when I "chided" him about the Saturday delivery. He told me he had protested acceptance of an empty box for delivery but, was overturned by his supervisor who indicated damaged or not, evidently empty or not (!!) the box, sans contents, were required to be delivered. As we might muse, "go figure".

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Certainly very frustrating.
Last month, porch pirates stole the contents of my REI package from my doorstep, leaving me an empty, opened box. Tracking said it was left at 3pm, I got home at 5pm to find the empty box. I'm told the thieves see a delivery truck, and when it leaves, just run up and steal. I usually try to get deliveries made to work now.

I've not had anything taken from my porch, let alone had a box opened, empied and left. This situation a tad different since the Postal Service WAS forthright in stamping the box "Delivered Unsealed" and "Damaged"....so, that seems to have eliminated the possibility of porch theft but, the outcome the same....a trade of air for contents.

Karl

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll not use the "F" word again however, I do believe your thoughts on the course of events are probable. My Postal delivery man was even red-faced when I "chided" him about the Saturday delivery. He told me he had protested acceptance of an empty box for delivery but, was overturned by his supervisor who indicated damaged or not, evidently empty or not (!!) the box, sans contents, were required to be delivered. As we might muse, "go figure".

Karl

I don't know how many times a year that the USPS holds auctions of items that were found within postal facilities that fell from packages, but you might wish to contact them for the centers closest to where shipped.

Insurance on items by USPS is somewhat a joke. They want proof of item value not just what coverage you pay for.

I've had 3 Amazon packages this year leave distribution yet fail to make it to the post office for scan or delivery. FedEx and UPS aren't any better.

UPS delivered a flat screen monitor crushed on one end with a drop and run. I was waiting for delivery, and before I could get up from the table, the driver was almost to his truck.

FedEx smashed the lens of my 16" search light. The box had 2" of foam overpack and marked fragile. They gashed through the fragile label. As a final gesture, when I sent the parabolic mirror out for resilvering, they managed to crush the wood shipping crate. That little diddy cost them $1100.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was me. Who shipped it, that is.
Here is the photo of the box Karl emailed to me. I cut out his address as this is a public forum.

I ship hundreds of packages a year, and this is the first this has happened. There is no way anyone could have known what was in the box. I have a feeling a machine tore it open and the contents went on the floor. What happened after that... I can only guess.

photo-4.png

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

I don't insure unless someone specifically asks for it to be insured.
This is the holster and light in question...
img-0988.jpg

img-0989.jpg

img-0990.jpg

I have likewise posted photos on my Thor's Hammer FB page and a few other places telling people to be on the lookout for this light and holster, and have also been in contact with George7806 (the rather talented member who makes these) and through him, purchased another and am making another holster both for Karl and one for George (as he was very understanding and worked out a good deal for me) on a replacement for Karl.

I doubt the original will turn up. I guess there is always hope, but I'm a realist.

The Omicron was in the original box that arrived from George, and the holster wrapped and put in the priority box. It was stuffed with bubble wrap, and the self-sticking side of the box was taped (I don't trust that self sticking stuff).

In the interest of transparency, I just thought folks should know I was the one shipping it.

archimedes

Flashaholic

The business branding on the holster increases the chance of successful recovery, I would say.

Pretty easy for the finder to do a websearch and contact you, let's hope.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are some, possibly many, stand up folks on the forum. Dan (Thor's Hammer Custom Leather) is one of them. Thanks Dan..for resolving this problem, unveiling the mystery and, being honest about it all. I am most appreciative.

Karl

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unfortunately, despite repeated calls to my local Post Office and assurance of those calls to be returned, nothing.... The chance of getting my merchandise back are slim to none it appears. Hope there is a happy postal employee today....:shakehead

Karl

archimedes

Flashaholic

Unless I am misunderstanding the post from Hogo, aren't your items being replaced ?

Wouldn't any recovered items now be due back to them ?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

...Hope there is a happy postal employee today....

You are using sarcasm and assuming a postal employee is a thief, when you seem to have no proof of that.
Have you inquired as to whether your package may have been subjected to security x-ray? Wondering if an operator may have seen the item and made it look accidentally opened to get it; not accusing anyone, just voicing a remote possibility.

What Thor's Hammer did is amazingly kind hearted and noble.

Status
Not open for further replies.