Fitorch        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Malkoff m61 vs Elzetta Bravo

Default Re: Malkoff m61 vs Elzetta Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by TA_ls1 View Post
    After reading about the heat, I am worried, esecially with the 2 x CR123s. What if I want to use it as a weapon light? Then I pretty much have to use CR123s, but with the heat issue, should I even use CR123s? Is it safe?
    I would not worry about the heat generated by the dropin.

malkoff products are extremely well built.

the reliability, robustness and quality of the products has already been tested by numerous groups of people, from simple housekeepers to police officers ...

the guarantee of the products is lifelong and the service to the consumer is the best I have ever had contact with.

if it is a great misfortune to happen some problem, then you will be well attended and the problem will be solved. I'm absolutely sure of that.

as much as I like the elzetta products, I still prefer malkoff.

If you are in doubt buy one of each.

both brands are excellent.

Default Malkoff m61 vs Elzetta Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by TA_ls1 View Post
    After reading about the heat, I am worried, esecially with the 2 x CR123s. What if I want to use it as a weapon light? Then I pretty much have to use CR123s, but with the heat issue, should I even use CR123s? Is it safe?
    800mah at 6 volts is not a very high current. The light actually pulls more current at lower voltage. The heat is more a result of prolonged use while tail standing vs handheld use. Most lights with good heat sinking will do that. It won't hurt the light or batteries at all. The heat just needs needs somewhere to go. The body of the light and away from the LED is best. I wouldn't worry about it.

If Gene let it out of the house it's good to go.
    That's why we use Malkoffs.
    P

While it does run noticeably hotter on 6v than 4v, I doubt your weapon mounted application would require the light to run continuously for long enough to notice. The heat is not a new issue. The older m61s also produce more heat on primaries.

Another option is to run unprotected 18650s. No circuitry to fail. I'm no expert in weapon lighting but I trust my unprotected cells when my lights absolutely cannot fail.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ok thanks guys, that makes me feel much better. I won't worry about it. I never thought about using unprotected 18650s, but I have several of the Sanyos that Zebralight sells, so I could try that. Right now I'm using an Orbtronic protected 18650 for handheld use.

In an md2 a protected 18650 wont be an issue either since it act like primaries when using a single cell. The light will be way to dim to use before voltage gets low

I am not certain but i am pretty sure if a protection circuit fails the cell still works but acts as if its unprotected

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    I am not certain but i am pretty sure if a protection circuit fails the cell still works but acts as if its unprotected
    I am also uncertain, but I've read that if the protection circuit fails, you're in the dark.

I dropped an Elzetta from about waist high with a protected 16650 and when I picked it up it wouldn't turn on so I removed the cell and it read 0v. I've tried to avoid protected cells since that event.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    I dropped an Elzetta from about waist high with a protected 16650 and when I picked it up it wouldn't turn on so I removed the cell and it read 0v. I've tried to avoid protected cells since that event.
    I had the same thing happen with an AW 17670 in a G2X. 0 volts.

Unprotected cells are advantageous, as long as you are smarter than your battery. You really shouldn't rely on the PCB to defend against over discharge anyway. It doesn't always work.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    I had the same thing happen with an AW 17670 in a G2X. 0 volts.
    A general rule of thumb when designing protection equipment, may it be a machine stop or over/under current protection, there are usually laws that regulate what should happen if the safety function is "broken". Those usually say that the desired outcome should be the same as if the safety function was activated. So if/when the protection circuit is destroyed for some reason, if designed correctly, it should disable the cell, to protect it.

But this is mostly a guess since I have not checked the CE/UL standards for protection circuits.

Here is some reading from Varta: https://www.varta-storage.com/wp-con...tteries_en.pdf

Going through parts of IEC 62133 it is hard to find anything specific, it mostly states that the cell should be rendered safe after a "worst case" scenario, I understand that as the cell is going to be non functioning to prevent the user to over-charge or discharge it and harm the user or 3rd party.
    Last edited by pomah; 07-29-2018 at 05:54 AM.

I have both and both are great. I do know that dropping a flashlight with an 18650 in it can sometimes ruin the battery. If I could only have one light, it would be the Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring. I have an Elzetta Bravo with the rotary switch and AVS flood head that I use at home at night if I hear a strange noise at night and have to check it out. I like the tailcap button that protrudes if I am activating it with something in other hand. The Malkoff Bodyguard now can fill that role too, or the MD2 with tricap works pretty well. I say get both eventually. I don't normally buy thing from the huge online store named after a river, but sometimes there are Elzettas on there for really good prices.

Using the bumper O-rings front and back significantly reduces (if not entirely eliminates) cell damage from impact.

Also worth a try is a set of IMR 18350 1100mAh cells - at the higher voltage the head will put our more light and there are no protection circuits to fail in IMR cells.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12