Malkoff m61 vs Elzetta Bravo

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Hello, I'm referring to the new Malkoff m61 that has the updated 425 lumens btw. I've been looking at getting a highly reliable light for pocket carry, but I'd like to have the ability to mount to a weapon if needed. It looks like both these lights are what I've narrowed it down to. I wrote off the m61 before, but now that the lumens are updated, I'm taking a more serious look at it.

They both have high/low modes which is important to me. The Malkoff can also take 18650 whereas the Elzetta cannot. However, the Elzetta has more lumens. The Malkoff looks to be $137 where the Elzetta is $200. Being that the updated Malkoff is new, I cannot find beamshots or anything to compare it to the Elzetta.

So ultimately, how do the beams, hotspots, spill and flood, brightness etc really compare between the two? Does anyone have pics? Thanks.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps from Malkoff better competitor for Elzetta Bravo (650 lm),
this is M61T (350 lm) or M61HOT (625 lm). It's also a TIR with a very good light distribution.
With to the pictures of the rays, in this moment I can not help unfortunately.

Here also you need to see what will be more
convenient for you - switch modes by turning your head or tailcap.

There is still a moment time of work.
Here INFRNL conducted a huge and useful work:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...Malkoff-Runtime-Graphs-CR123-Alkaline-Comparo

https://imgur.com/nbKrNEg
https://imgur.com/YrerOOj

If you use only primary batteries, then Bravo wins a few from M61HOT,
but as soon as you use 18650, everything changes.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Do you want widely dispersed even light or a strong throw with perimeters lit fairly well?

I ask because how the light is distributed can make a 325 lumen light appear nearly as bright as a 650.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I'm not looking for a dedicated thrower, but would prefer a more balanced beam. 100-200 yds should be good enough but I want it to be decent for indoors too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For brightly lit, 100 yards is about the max for both. But the Malkoff has a nice blend of spot to spill.

The Bravo has a more conical beam at a distance (ie appears to reach out farther) where the Malkoff is kinda like a wall of light at that distance. Now the Malkoff I speak of is the pre-425 lumen version.

Either will be great for indoors on low.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having owned both, I think the difference comes down to beam tint and profile.The M61 is cooler with a tighter hot spot and lower CRI, and appears quite bright, even next to the Bravo AVS at 650 lm. A friend of mine, visiting for dinner once, was very surprised that my M61 (then 325 lm) appeared brighter to him than the Bravo at 650 lm.

My new M61 (now 425) is a close rival to my M91B (800lm), with the latter having brighter spill. However, the Elzetta's neutral tint will render color better than either.

If it were my choice, I'd go with the Malkoff because Elzetta does not currently offer a light that is 18mm compatible with high/low capability. The Malkoff will also offer more flexibility later if you want to change drop ins for a different beam tint, or perhaps high CRI. Add in user replaceable switches and the best customer service on earth, and it's Malkoff for the win. Just one guy's opinion, but it would be an easy choice for me.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would take a Malkoff MD2 with tricap over most flashlights, including the Elzetta.
43324141102_8d10578bcb_b.jpg

I don't actually have a full-power Malkoff dropin for comparison right now but both are very capable beams with the Elzetta having a bit more throw at the cost of a bit more tunnel vision. Honestly I'd be just as fine with either, but the Malkoff pulls ahead in battery flexibility, modularity, dropin choice, and use of the ubiquitous mcclickie switch.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I just received the Elzetta Alpha today with the floody lense and rotary cap. It doesn't appear anywhere near 415 lumens but it's definitely very floody and in sure will serve me well on my Mossberg Shockwave.

I also have a bunch of Malkoff MD2s with high low and the MD2 Throw model. Some are mounted on ARs and Shottys..Amazing lights. I also just received a malkoff tri cap. It helps but to be honest in the hand I like the ergonomics of my Maglite Mag Tac the best.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received the Elzetta Alpha today with the floody lense and rotary cap. It doesn't appear anywhere near 415 lumens but it's definitely very floody and in sure will serve me well on my Mossberg Shockwave.

I also have a bunch of Malkoff MD2s with high low and the MD2 Throw model. Some are mounted on ARs and Shottys..Amazing lights. I also just received a malkoff tri cap. It helps but to be honest in the hand I like the ergonomics of my Maglite Mag Tac the best.

I might advise you to purchase a clear lens for the Alpha -- it has a wide beam which is very useful in almost any condition. With a flood lens your rifle shoots several times further than you are capable to see in the dark :) Not the best idea, having in mind you may hit targets you never intended to...

Having owned both, I think the difference comes down to beam tint and profile.The M61 is cooler with a tighter hot spot and lower CRI, and appears quite bright, even next to the Bravo AVS at 650 lm. A friend of mine, visiting for dinner once, was very surprised that my M61 (then 325 lm) appeared brighter to him than the Bravo at 650 lm.

My new M61 (now 425) is a close rival to my M91B (800lm), with the latter having brighter spill. However, the Elzetta's neutral tint will render color better than either.

If it were my choice, I'd go with the Malkoff because Elzetta does not currently offer a light that is 18mm compatible with high/low capability. The Malkoff will also offer more flexibility later if you want to change drop ins for a different beam tint, or perhaps high CRI. Add in user replaceable switches and the best customer service on earth, and it's Malkoff for the win. Just one guy's opinion, but it would be an easy choice for me.

I bought a new m61 with 425 lumens ... I'm waiting to arrive. your comments made me even more anxious about the arrival of the dropin :)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a new m61 with 425 lumens ... I'm waiting to arrive. your comments made me even more anxious about the arrival of the dropin :)

Marco! Good to hear from you. Enjoy your new toy!

Does the 425 lumen M61 inside an MD2 produce a faint dark ring on the outer edge of the spill beam?

All of my Malkoff modules produce a faint ring at the outer circumference of the beam but this is minimized with the 22.3 MDX head. I only see it when I try hard to find it. Even then it doesn't bother me.

maglite mike

Enlightened
I might advise you to purchase a clear lens for the Alpha -- it has a wide beam which is very useful in almost any condition. With a flood lens your rifle shoots several times further than you are capable to see in the dark :) Not the best idea, having in mind you may hit targets you never intended to...
I may have to do that . As much as I like the alpha's warm and floody beam it just doesn't have any throw at all. Even my maglite solitaire appears to have more reach. I'll be getting the regular lense soon. I'm kind of surprised they would make a lense with such a limited throw. I can't see many applications where this would suffice.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The flood lens is for lighting a crime scene where vast, evenly spaced light is better than a typical flashlight beam.

You will see a world of difference from the regular lens MM.

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Well, I just got an email that Malkoff is having 25% off until midnight, and I was leaning towards the Malkoff anyways, so I ordered a M61 MD2 with the high/low ring. I'm excited and can't wait until it arrives.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you can't beat the 25off. Elzetta had 20off for 4th of july.

Elzetta makes a good light but i prefer malkoff. I hope that you are not sensitive to blue.

Elzetta has a very white tint with avs head. Malkoff cool white has blue in it, more so with TIR.
I'm guessing you went with the 425lm m61 which has less blue but it's there.

I find elzetta to have good throw but also floodier. Alpha is a naturally floody light intended to light up rooms, not sure why someone would buy one with a flood lens unless they just want a short range true flood.
Alpha is not very efficient which can be seen in my primary showdown.

Bravo can be found bored for 18mm but stock with 16650 works pretty good but obviously not as much runtime as 18650.

I think the op made a good decision. You can find my runtime results in the 2nd post or through my sig. It is for 325lm version but should give an idea of what to expect. There will be a loss with the new versions as current draw is higher but im not sure exactly what the difference will be.

Hope you guys enjoy your new 425s, should serve you well

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I just got my m61, and I love it. The quality is top end. The 425 lumen high seems brighter than 425 lumens.

I ran it on high while it was tailstanding for 20-30 mins, and it was hot, much more than I would expect out of 425 lumens.

So my question is, is it normal for it to get hot like that on high? Is the 425 lumens really more than 425 lumens? Or are other manufacturers over inflating their lumen outputs?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my m61, and I love it. The quality is top end. The 425 lumen high seems brighter than 425 lumens.

I ran it on high while it was tailstanding for 20-30 mins, and it was hot, much more than I would expect out of 425 lumens.

So my question is, is it normal for it to get hot like that on high? Is the 425 lumens really more than 425 lumens? Or are other manufacturers over inflating their lumen outputs?

In my experience, any flashlight that runs at over 200 or 300 lumens tends to get pretty when left on while tail standing. It won't heat up as much if it is hand held, especially if you are walking around.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I thought the M61 was around 300 plus lumens. When did they increase it. Also anyone know what the cost is in terms of runtimes.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the M61 was around 300 plus lumens. When did they increase it. Also anyone know what the cost is in terms of runtimes.

Yeah, it was 325. When I asked Gene about it, he said that they had been making incremental increases in output over a period of time. They thought this most recent increase was worth advertising. The change happened within the last month or so, I believe.

The cost in run time amounts to 15 minutes of regulated output. It's now running at 1.25 hours instead of 1.5.