Custom made 10440 flashlight prototype completed

I'm very excited to introduce the third flashlight in my line-up. After the Nucleus and the Omicron this is an other step up in size (actually it's more like two...:) I've started building the first prototype nearly a year ago, and went through quite a few versions. Unlike my previous lights I wasn't on a mission anymore to make the smallest or most compact flashlight. This was the first time I could do a little more without having to worry about too little material remaining. As you will see on the pictures, this light is quite a bit bigger than other 10440/AAA size production flashlights, but there is a good reason for that. (Btw, if my back story gets boring, just go ahead and roll down to see the pictures:)
With more material to work with, I could give you some great options as well as customization. I've made and re-made each part of the light numerous time, until I was perfectly satisfied with the look.
Until I'm getting closer to the official release, I won't discuss exact dimensions, and some of the specs will be left unsaid, but otherwise I'll tell you everything you need to know about this light. In the following weeks/months I will share more details, and pictures some custom options, so by the time it is released, you'll know if this light suits your needs.
I know, there are many of you have been waiting for a custom flashlight this size, and specifically what I'm coming up with. I really hope this meets and exceeds your expectation. Let me know, what you think, also if you have any questions.

Name: Balaton (It is a homage to the place where I originally come from)

As far as electronic/mechanic and optical features, here they are:

- Deep reflector so it would have a very usable throw as well as nice spill for closeup illumination.
- Sapphire glass window with dual anti reflective coating. (There will be a second sapphire glass window for the exotic versions, covering the tritium sphere in the tail switch)
- Small copper pill so it's easier for me to offer emitter options.
- Driver will a FET / DD driver with Guppy2Drv.
- Reverse clicky tail switch w/ o-ringed metal tail button (I know many of you prefer forward clicky's but there aren't many choices in this small size and I personally grown to like this switch quite a bit)

External and self illuminating features:

- Milled and cross-milled head features for better heat dissipation.
- 5x 1.5mmx6mm trit vials in the body.
- 4x 1mmx3mm vials and 1x 1.5mmx6mm vial in the tail switch (Standard Versions)
- 1x 7mm Red Tritium Sphere in the tail buttons. ( This will only be available for the exotic versions.)
- 2x sleeves over body for customization (only for Standard versions, exotic versions will be sleeveless matching the finish diameter of sleeved lights.)
- There will be exotic sleeve options (BlueTongue, Mokuti/Timascus, Mokume Gane, Exotic Wood are on the plans)

Few more words on the external features. The ring you see under the tail-cap, is not only a decorative ring but a space reserved for a clip. At this point, I'm not sure when, or if this clip ever happens, but if it does it will be something really nice that matches this light.
O-rings and chamfered edges are not added of the prototype, but the production pieces will carry these features.

Release Date: Late September to early October

All these picture are available on my Flickr in high resolution HERE:

29466742178_c00f96e8ce_c.jpg

43285841622_68db241075_c.jpg

43285840432_f017aba4f5_c.jpg

28466918557_66cddabafd_c.jpg

42618580964_3692cde8b5_c.jpg

28466919787_639bb60d97_c.jpg

43285839322_9eb98a0755_c.jpg

28466917937_fb1b584f54_c.jpg

29474232978_bfa823141b_c.jpg

43354473671_19a16c735b_c.jpg

JoeRodge

Newly Enlightened
I will just pay rent a month late. Love the color scheme. Love the tritium.

Zandar

Enlightened
Great looking with some very innovative features. I am not missing out this time, Egginator1 and I will take 2 each!!!!!

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
No just go ahead and invoice me right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, Mike does love surprises!!

easilyled

Flashaholic
Please invoice Egginator for 5 exotics for me! :D

Seriously though, your pre-sales thread prototype reveals are fully of excitement in themselves. Your ingenuity is impossible to second-guess and always a delight to discover.

I'm thinking that the red-tritium-disc switch would be absolutely stunning on black polished zirconium. But also on copper, mokume gane or just about anything else.

How much ambient light does the red tritium disc provide? Equivalent to moonlight short-range illumination or not to that extent?

Is the Balaton able to tailstand?

Zandar

Enlightened
One way or the other, one of the prototypes is either going to The Saw Mill Inn or the Smithsonian this time!

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it!! I love how you've incorporated a trit sphere in the switching mechanism. A very unique feature. What two metals are used in the pics above? I like the contrast of the metals. If that's brass and titanium, then that will look really nice when the brass forms a patina. Any idea on the price point?

Please invoice Egginator for 5 exotics for me! :D

Seriously though, your pre-sales thread prototype reveals are fully of excitement in themselves. Your ingenuity is impossible to second-guess and always a delight to discover.

I'm thinking that the red-tritium-disc switch would be absolutely stunning on black polished zirconium. But also on copper, mokume gane or just about anything else.

How much ambient light does the red tritium disc provide? Equivalent to moonlight short-range illumination or not to that extent?

Is the Balaton able to tailstand?

Thank you so much for those words, it's truly appreciated!
The red sphere would look great on black Zirconium, I'm not decided on Zirc being on the books yet, but you're right it'd be a killer look...:)
Exotic versions will have the spheres only, as they are as rare as albino unicorns...so only Damasteel, Mokume, Mokuti will have this option.
I will try to make a comparison about the light output of the sphere compared to smaller trit vials. It is a relatively small 7mm sphere though, so we'll see.
It will stand un-assisted for hours....until someone knocks it over:)

No just go ahead and invoice me right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, Mike does love surprises!!

One way or the other, one of the prototypes is either going to The Saw Mill Inn or the Smithsonian this time!

Let the pre sale begin NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No worries just invoice me for the 4 or is it now 9 lights!!!!!

Done, done and done....so you take the first 15 of them correct?:)

I love it!! I love how you've incorporated a trit sphere in the switching mechanism. A very unique feature. What two metals are used in the pics above? I like the contrast of the metals. If that's brass and titanium, then that will look really nice when the brass forms a patina. Any idea on the price point?

Thank you for the kind words, I'm really happy with being able to fit the trit sphere the way I wanted. The 2 metals are brass and Ti, and they compliment each other quite well:) I can't tell the exact price on it, but it will be priced more conservatively as it's predecessor. The reason for this is that the Omicron was such a pain to machine , that I've had a lot of headache making it. This one will take more time to complete, but if all goes well less difficulty.

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is something to look forward to! I hope the clip makes it during the product launching. :)

Zandar

Enlightened
Wait, I thought it was 10 lights or 11with one for Karlthev, Do I get quantity discount pricing at 15 units?

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thank you so much for those words, it's truly appreciated!
The red sphere would look great on black Zirconium, I'm not decided on Zirc being on the books yet, but you're right it'd be a killer look...:)
Exotic versions will have the spheres only, as they are as rare as albino unicorns...so only Damasteel, Mokume, Mokuti will have this option.
I will try to make a comparison about the light output of the sphere compared to smaller trit vials. It is a relatively small 7mm sphere though, so we'll see.
It will stand un-assisted for hours....until someone knocks it over:)

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Balaton in Hungary must be beautiful if this light was inspired by it. :)