What's the difference in appearance between Xpg2 and Xml2?

LEDrock

Enlightened
I saw a flashlight in a store that uses 2AA batteries and puts out 280 lumens, at least that's what's advertised on the package. With that many lumens using 2AA batteries, I figured it might be a Cree XML2 light. I went online to look at pictures of the Cree Xml2 and Xpg2 LEDs to see what they looked like and was surprised to find that they look alike. I then went to the store with a good magnifying glass and took a close look at it and it matched what either one of them looked like when I researched them online. Is there any real difference in appearance? Here's a link to an online source for the light, which give no info. on which LED is used. https://www.menards.com/main/electr...48-c-6314.htm?tid=7864458816189331193&ipos=24

I've seen many of the lower priced lights from Gearbest use XPG2, but one of their more popular ones called the Zanflare: https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_613215.html?wid=1433363

has an output of 200 lumens for .63 hours, while the Guidesman I'm asking about from Menards outputs 280 lumens for 1.5 hours. That leads me to think it must have an Xml2 emitter. But is there a way to know for sure?

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-G2 is smaller than the XM-L2. I think it's a difference of 3.5mm^2 vs 5mm^2 but I could be remembering that wrong.

I wouldn't put much stock in those stated runtimes. Sometimes differences will be because one light is better regulated and doesn't taper off as much. Sometimes it seems like the company just straight made up the numbers...

LEDrock

Enlightened
There are definitely differences, but if you don't have them side by side, it may be hard to discern. Have a look at this page here. It does a very good job showing the differences between the different types of Cree LEDs.

https://www.fstoplights.com/leds-types-bins/

That link is very useful for comparing their sizes. Also, it looks like there is one difference that stands out, which is the fact that the 2 wires going to the die are near the corners on the XPG2, while being a little closer together on the XML2.

The XP-G2 is smaller than the XM-L2. I think it's a difference of 3.5mm^2 vs 5mm^2 but I could be remembering that wrong.

I wouldn't put much stock in those stated runtimes. Sometimes differences will be because one light is better regulated and doesn't taper off as much. Sometimes it seems like the company just straight made up the numbers...

Yeah, I don't think stated run times (or lumens) mean a whole lot either. I bought a light once (a Nebo Redline) that advertised 220 lumens using 3AAA batteries. It turned out to be only about 90 lumens. It has one of the earliest Cree LEDs. So now I'm trying to do my own research based on what LED is being used in a light that I find interesting. If it turns out that this Guidesman I've been eyeing has an XML2 in it, it might actually put out the 280 lumens it's advertising.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
That link is very useful for comparing their sizes. Also, it looks like there is one difference that stands out, which is the fact that the 2 wires going to the die are near the corners on the XPG2, while being a little closer together on the XML2.

I've never paid attention to the spacing of the wires, but that looks to be the case. I don't think that aspect really makes any difference. The two main differences that's worth noting is the die size and footprint.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XPG2 has often been used in smaller lights to enable a better beam and longer throw. The smaller size of the die means that more of the light emitted is closer to the actual focal point of the reflector, so the reflector is able to do a better job of collimating the light into a tighter beam. To get a similar beam with the larger XML2 die requires a reflector larger in both diameter and depth.

LEDrock

Enlightened
The XPG2 has often been used in smaller lights to enable a better beam and longer throw. The smaller size of the die means that more of the light emitted is closer to the actual focal point of the reflector, so the reflector is able to do a better job of collimating the light into a tighter beam. To get a similar beam with the larger XML2 die requires a reflector larger in both diameter and depth.

In the case of the flashlight in question, the "reflector" is just a white piece of plastic. There is a lens though. Not sure if that indicates much. I used to think that a flashlight with a lens meant it was a thrower, but I have one that works better as a floody light.

CRX_

Newly Enlightened
LED Names.
C5O1hEo.jpg

LED Size Comparison.
9f0gAec.jpg

QkuMmsA.jpg

Tint Reference Charts.
5yHzoH3.jpg

LED Chip Dimensions.
uPrqz8D.jpg

Last edited: