Need help picking AA charger for lots of cells that will charge them gently

L33T_H4X0R_D00d

Newly Enlightened
It's been some time since I've had any rechargeable cells. I was looking at my AA consumption the other day and decided to do something about that. I've done a fair bit of reading here and it seems like Eneloops and Amazon Basics are all the rage now. I'm looking for cells with a long service life and those two seem fill the bill. So now I need help finding a charger that will gently charge 16-24 of them at once and won't shorten their service life with things like trickle charging, which I've read here is bad for them. Long charge times are fine. I will be traveling in a few weeks and would like to get this ordered quickly so that I can have everything working before I leave, otherwise I would have done more searching on my own.

Anyone have any suggestions?

keithy

Enlightened
Powerex has a few 8 cell slot chargers, MH-C801D , MH-C808M , MH-C800. See here: http://www.mahaenergy.com/chargers/.

There's another one I've seen - a 16 bay charger branded as various different brand - here is one version called the Tenergy the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZYTX93M/?tag=cpf0b6-20 or Enecharger as we have it in Australia. The charging current is fixed at 500mA for AAs, and 250mA for AAAs.

Another one is the Titanium MD-1600L 16 slot charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UNPM3M/?tag=cpf0b6-20 but I have not used it so cannot recommend it either way. It charges at 400mA for AA and 180mA for AAA.

I have an older 10 slot charger which was sold in the US as the Tenergy T-6988 (again rebadged as various chargers -in Australia mine was called the Powertech V-6988). This one is about 10 years old at least, but would only charge at 250mA for both AA and AAAs. And it had a discharge feature.

L33T_H4X0R_D00d

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm. None of those sound like a slam dunk. I think I'll pick up a Liitakola 4x charger for now frequently swap them around until I can find a good 16x charger. You guys seem to like the constant current feature of the Liitakola compared to regular PWM charging from most others.

Thanks for the heads up.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. None of those sound like a slam dunk. I think I'll pick up a Liitakola 4x charger for now frequently swap them around until I can find a good 16x charger. You guys seem to like the constant current feature of the Liitakola compared to regular PWM charging from most others.

Thanks for the heads up.

Keithy is correct in suggesting the Maha 8 bay chargers. If money isn't a concern and li-ions aren't a concern and you just want good 8 bay charging, then the 808M charger is a good way to go, even buying two of them to handle 16 batteries at once.

You could always go with two Maha C9000 Wizard Ones and get 8 bays with analyzing at hand, for about $100.

That would be the best option, if you can live with 8 bays at once.

Really, the C9000 is a good charger.

Chris

L33T_H4X0R_D00d

Newly Enlightened
Keithy is correct in suggesting the Maha 8 bay chargers. If money isn't a concern and li-ions aren't a concern and you just want good 8 bay charging, then the 808M charger is a good way to go, even buying two of them to handle 16 batteries at once.

You could always go with two Maha C9000 Wizard Ones and get 8 bays with analyzing at hand, for about $100.

Which do you like better, the Maha C9000 or the Liitokala LII-500? Is it a better UI or does it do something to actually charge better? If so I'm gonna fo.