RRT-3 replacement (3 or 4x 18650) advice needed

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I am looking to replace my trusty but now busted Jetbeam RRT-3. This will be a high power main use light for guiding on foot at night in Africa as well as any other regular usage when I don't mind carrying a heftier model.

The RRT3's beam was nice, a bit of throw and plenty of flood to see the ground ahead as well without re directing the torch every few moments. I could see reflecting eyes from a distance and anything that might be in the floor ahead at the same time.

A perfect light would be...

- Min of 2000 lumens on max mode. Ideally more if it's a newer model looking at the current specs for 2018 lights.
- 18650 powered, at least 3 cells if not 4
- Ability to select mode before turning on (rotary ring on rrt3 was nice). Will also use for looking through bag in a v low mode.
- V low moonlight mode (1 lumen or less ideal)
- Tough, useable in a downpour
- In torch charging a bonus but not after an integrated battery model
- Cherry on top would be a usb out port to act as a power bank.
- Graceful step down as battery drains rather than sudden cut off, same for thermal shutdown.
- Either a throwy flood or a floody throw beam
- I see a few 4 cell models can also run with just 2 cells albeit in a lower level. Love the idea of that.

I have been looking around and there are a lot of options. The acebeam k40m looks along the lines I am after but seems discontinued and the later models don't seem as good a fit re the above criteria.

Budget not an issue, but let's keep <£300 if poss I guess.

Any suggestions from you guys and gals most appreciated!

Rich.

Keitho

Enlightened
I don't have a perfect fit in my collection, but I have a couple of a model that ticks a lot of the boxes, a trusty old Noctigon M43. As far as I know, it is still the smallest and lightest 4x18650.

It will run on 1x, 2x, or 3x cells if needed. For woods, I love the nichia version for the warmish 5000k CCT and high CRI. I have mine set up to come on in low (single click), double click to high (from low, or from off).

Not as throwy as you might want, no selector ring, no USB or power bank functionality, and maybe not quite a low enough moonlight mode...but it's still a compact, durable, efficient, powerful high CRI flooder that I love using in the woods (comes with a decent holster). I normally pair it with an Acebeam L16vn (also 5000k) for throw, USB charging, instant turbo, and 1-lumen mode.

Good luck, I'm sure there are better all-around options, but I thought I'd start you off with my own outdoor combo these days.

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks Keiho. I'll check out those options shortly. Not hugely concerned with keeping the size small, I have a fair few smaller models and quite like the modest heft of the rrt3. The ace beam may be a good fit.

Thanks again,
Rich.

I don't have a perfect fit in my collection, but I have a couple .......

Richard Costin

Newly Enlightened
Fyi in case anyone else has a similar question down the line I went for an Acebeam k60 after a fair bit of looking around.