I got an S1R!

BushcrafterAU

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations! But sorry to discourage you, "expensive" here supposes 4-digit numbers :)
So how expensive is your mist expensive light? And how often do you use it?
the only lights that (from what I can tell) can compare with the S1R are the Mecarmy PT16 and the Nitecore EC11.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
So how expensive is your mist expensive light? And how often do you use it?
the only lights that (from what I can tell) can compare with the S1R are the Mecarmy PT16 and the Nitecore EC11.

I am not a person to look at as my "expensiveness" is limited with Elzetta Bravo with hi/lo tailcap, standard/crenelated bezels, clear/flood lenses. Sorry, but I am too lazy to count the total value :) You might do it yourself and discover a super reliable flashlight manufacturer at once ;)

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an Olight S1R and I am thrilled! It is my first expensive light!
Congratulations, an excellent choice and one that, of only three lights, earns its place for Every Day Carry jean pocket rotation for me.

And I believe it is an expensive light. Sure, you can spend 3-figures and get more utility, more durability etc, but once you get to 4-figures (excluding Cool Fall), you're paying for aesthetics and fancy materials rather than anything that makes it a better illumination tool. As such, a lot of the 4-figure stuff spends its life in the protective foam of a Peli case, only being brought out to look at, photograph, have a quick play, and then put back again. Most never see any proper use.

So enjoy your S1R, it's expensive, but staggeringly good value for the utility and quality. And most importantly, it is a light that satisfies my mantra of "Use your tools".

Djblank80

Newly Enlightened
That is great light and you will enjoy it. Cost of a light now a days doesn't dictate quality like it used to when I lurked these waters back in 2007. Lights that are sub $100.00 are in my book expensive, because I don't have a lot disposable income laying around. To some people dropping a hundred on a light is nothing to some it's everything.

There are different kinds of flashlight addicts and everyone goes through the stages. I'm the end when you're an old fart like me you just do your research and make sure what you are buying actually is worth while and for a need, not just a fancy new hot rod light that the masses must have.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Mike!!!
everyone has their own opinion on what is expensive.
i personally like Acebeam lights where my budget is around $150.00 for a good flashlight.
Congratulations, an excellent choice and one that, of only three lights, earns its place for Every Day Carry jean pocket rotation for me.

And I believe it is an expensive light. Sure, you can spend 3-figures and get more utility, more durability etc, but once you get to 4-figures (excluding Cool Fall), you're paying for aesthetics and fancy materials rather than anything that makes it a better illumination tool. As such, a lot of the 4-figure stuff spends its life in the protective foam of a Peli case, only being brought out to look at, photograph, have a quick play, and then put back again. Most never see any proper use.

So enjoy your S1R, it's expensive, but staggeringly good value for the utility and quality. And most importantly, it is a light that satisfies my mantra of "Use your tools".

Olightworld

Enlightened
Congratulations on the new light! Welcome to the Olight family and let us know if we can ever do anything for you!

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running original Olight Li-ions in there? Have they exhibited this behaviour from new, or has it come gradually?

I've experienced the same issue with S1 Ti and Olight 16340 cell: while freshly charged it manages to feed the max mode, but once its voltage drops below 4V its protection cuts off on max. Need to open tail cap and close again to be able to use lower modes.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
My S1R and S2R are nice lights but they step down after 3 seconds and sometimes they won't even go into turbo.
I've experienced the same issue with S1 Ti and Olight 16340 cell: while freshly charged it manages to feed the max mode, but once its voltage drops below 4V its protection cuts off on max. Need to open tail cap and close again to be able to use lower modes.
Likely battery issue. Possible solution:
  • refresh the battery (Olight 163C05, Olight's 550mAh IMR battery) by:
    1. slow discharge the battery in-light with low-mode or via a battery discharger.
    2. recharge the Olight 163C05 battery in external charger at 0.25A until full.
    3. reinstall the battery in S1R, if situation doesn't improve, try step 1 again.
    4. if after 2-3 times repeating the above steps and still facing the same issue, get a new Olight 163C05.
    5. if new Olight 163C05 behaves in exactly the same manner, contact Olight for warranty repair.
  • DO use Olight 163C05, the recommended Olight IMR battery for use in S1R, not the Olight 163C06 nor the Olight 163P06.
  • use a new unprotected IMR 16340.
  • use a no fun, expensive, primary CR123A battery.
  • I DO NOT RECOMMEND (more like advise against) using Olight 163C05 or Olight 163C06 in the older S1-series due to high risk of shorting with the tailcap spring.

I hope Olight will enhance the in-light circuit for the upcoming release, as many has complaint about the "overly protective" behavior of the S/S1-series light. I also hope to see Olight boldly attempt to step into the realm of 18350-compatible light soon... like real soon... :grin2:

6XEGEDF.png

recDNA

Flashaholic
As you know short circuiting is very serious and could result in venting with flame. What is the tailspring flaw that causes this? I would assume a primary will short circuit if a li ion will?

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
As you know short circuiting is very serious and could result in venting with flame. What is the tailspring flaw that causes this? I would assume a primary will short circuit if a li ion will?
nothing wrong with tailspring, but this...
gJWtiHK.png

because these battery are meant for Olight's proprietary magnetic charging system, see the tailcap (S1R) specifically design for use with these batteries next to it. :D

recDNA

Flashaholic
You mentioned short circuiting with tailspring. That's where I got it. Now that you've explained it the battery design looks dangerous to me. I'd rather just use primaries or another brand charged with an external charger. I have some olight batteries and I will recycle any with that design. Just looks like a really bad idea

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks for the thorough explanation. I know I have some of the olight with the micro usb charging port built in.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Olight USB 16340, that was included with my S1 Mini does not trip its protection circuit when used in my S1R, although it is 10% less bright than the IMR on maximum, the difference is not visible.
43538382071_b56f43231c_h.jpg

43538382021_7281ada310_h.jpg

It is unclear to me whether the battery in the S1R is protected, based on some posts Ive read, but according to this link, which may not be credible, it IS protected:
https://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-imr-16340.html

I would welcome definitive info whether the S1R IMR battery is OverDischarge protected or not

all these stock batteries are interchangeable in these lights
29666843348_2f4a975e5a_h.jpg

none have tailsprings, no risk of shorting the special S1R battery

I recommend against the Fenix USB rechargeable 16340 because it is longer, and wont let me close the PicoXL case all the way, I prefer the Olight version. Also the Fenix cell wont work in the S1R at all (too long, wont let the tailcap reach ground.)
42632664245_ac5faed1f4_h.jpg

42632664145_b4d3e8d00b_k.jpg

the olight version fits the PicoXL perfectly:
42632664155_5d7a87bc4b_k.jpg

I really like the Olight USB 16340 cell for my other lights. I reserve the S1R battery for the S1R only. I actually gave my S1R to a non flashaholic that owns no other 16340 lights nor cells. imo the S1R makes a good gift for someone with no other 16340 experience. The S1R magnetic charger is very simple to use and newbie friendly.

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I would welcome definitive info whether the S1R IMR battery is OverDischarge protected or not
It is "somewhat" OverDischarge protected if discharge at >5A (according to spec sheet from manufacturer) but I manage to damage one by overdischarge it by tricking the light into thinking the cell is a Primary CR123A... :devil: