Imalent DN70 XHP70 Impressions

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a pocket sized floodlight since you can hold IN the palm of your hand.
With external dimensions of 4.45 x 1.5 x 1.5 inches it is no bigger than two D-sized batteries in line. Honestly when i saw it it made me think it is Much bigger.

web-IGP5088.jpg

Regarding looks, it is an Imalent! barely discernible is the dark tinted screen and the two function buttons on each side of.

web-IGP5087.jpg

And this is the rubber cover of the USB charging port.

web-IGP5085.jpg

A view of the head and the flashlight body.

web-IGP5068.jpg

And here one can see the battery to body proportions!

web-IGP5071.jpg

A look in the inside.

web-IGP5076.jpg

And a look down the reflector. The LED is a dedomed XHP-70 by slicing it!
Also, the reflector is removable and one can access the screwed-on LED MCPCB.

web-120838.jpg

And this is what comes with the flashlight. A USB charging cable and a standard holster for it.

Function and User Interface

The flashlight turns On and Off by the right hand switch,
Successive presses change the mode to 20, 300 and 2500 lumens.
Of course there is memory mode.

With the left hand switch on can get the 3800 lumens Turbo, by keeping it pressed for about 2 seconds. To get to Strobe, SOS & Beacon, you must double press. And to return to Turbo you must keep the button pressed again.

Quite conveniently -and regardless of your mode- by pressing left switch briefly will show the battery voltage under load.

Overheat Protection

Such a large amount of heat generate in such a small flashlight, it makes temperature rise FAST. You literally fell it if your hand.
The flashlight Does have temperature monitoring and protection. The DN70 will drop its output at 900 lumens when the body temperature reaches about 50ºC.
From then on the temp and output seems to stabilize there. I kept the flashlight on for 45 min, and the light could go on for more, even though the battery as almost depleted.

And this is the runtime/temperature graph for the first 21 minutes of operation.

ComboDN70.png

The user Can reactivate the 3800 or 2500 lumens mode, but this is useless as the flashlight will gradually step down back to 900 lumens within 20 seconds.

Measurents

My measurements and a comparison to another flashlight hobbyist's lights, show that the light will Not make the 3800 mark.
Stay tuned for more as I will making ceiling bounce tests shortly.

image pending....

Regarding Runtimes the Imalent published one seems plausible -even on the 3800 lumens mode- Assuming one can practically use the light on the 3800 and 2500 modes only once.

201612090139543721low.jpg

Thoughts and Impressions

In short, the Imalent DN70 XHP70 is a real pocket sized powerhouse.

User interface is Good and Usable and Battery Voltage Indication is also helpful.

Construction is as expected for a modern day quality flashlight coming from China.
And design is definitely Imalent.

On the downside,

Maybe it is the small size that necessitated it, but the short duration the flashlight will effectively stay on Turbo and High is not helpful.

Also maybe the designers have gone too far with that black body effect. In real darkness on can find the switches by feel since the screen will shut off after a while. And then he will have to find the proper one, since both are too alike.

Overall, the Imalent DN70 XHP70 is a cute chubby powerhouse, but do not pit it against the larger flashlights of the kind.