New Fenix TK47UE. Very disappointed

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Excited as I was to recieve my new Fenix TK47UE today, no more than a few moments shining the light around, and it was apparent to me almost immediately that this is going to have to go back for a refund.

I knew from previous threads that, due to the XHP70 LED this light uses, it was going to show a small, noticeable hint of donut hole, particularly when shown on a white wall. Sadly, my sample at least, shows a nasty looking "cross" symbol right in the middle of the hotspot that is severe enough that I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to overlook it.

I'm not a white wall hunter, and I don't mind a few artifacts or rings, but the "cross" symbol the hotspot has is just too much of an issue for me. I would hate to see one of these XHP70 in a smooth reflector.

Very disappointing, as other than this issue, it is really a nice light.

colight

Enlightened
I'd like to ask which distance this "cross" was visible from? I had the TK47 UE myself which I gifted to my son eventually, and after I read your comment, I got it back from him and tested it. This cross is really only visible when you hold the light about 10 cm or closer to a wall on "my" sample, so yours must really be very distinct for you to complain about this. Have you tested any other quad-core emitters? All should show the same cross afaik...

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys this is endemic with the multi-die LEDs.
Do not forget that -flashlight beam being cone shaped- focusing is distance dependent both ways. Close and far.
Sicetese lights re to b used as searchlights, thebeam better NOT be in good focus close to the user.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys this is endemic with the multi-die LEDs.
Do not forget that -flashlight beam being cone shaped- focusing is distance dependent both ways. Close and far.
Sicetese lights re to b used as searchlights, thebeam better NOT be in good focus close to the user.
The X65 has a beautiful beam both very close up and at 500 meters.