Review: Nitecore LR12 (1x18650, XP-L, Retractable Diffuser, Dual use light-Lantern)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the Nitecore LR12 from Nitecore for the review.

The LR12 is the evolution of the LR10: the light features an XP-L emitter and it has a retractable cylinder diffuser that isn't completely closed, and allows the light to be used as a regular EDC. The LR12 is powered by a 18650 battery.

The LR12 comes in this box.
Nitecore_LR12_01.jpg

The overall design is the same as the LR10, but the LR12 is bigger because it uses an 18650 battery.
Nitecore_LR12_02.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_03.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_04.jpg

In my medium size hand (106x27 mm, 79g)
Nitecore_LR12_16.jpg

There's a rotating bezel that allows to extract and retract the diffuser.
Nitecore_LR12_07.jpg

The diffuser has a different design than the one on the LR10: it is still cylindrical, but it has an open end, which means than when it is completely retracted, the light now has the beam of a regular flashlight.
Nitecore_LR12_05.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_06.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_12.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_14.jpg

The only removable part of the light is the tailcap, which also contains a magnet that allows the light to be attached to a metal surface.
Nitecore_LR12_08.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_17.jpg

UI
The UI is pretty simple: turn the light on by screwing the tailcap on. Turn the light on and off and back on quickly to change modes (low, medium, high, turbo, beacon, in loop).
The light has no memory and always gets on at low mode.

Output and runtime
Both measured using an unprotected LG MJ1 18650 cell. After all my tests, the cell was above the minimum voltage recommended for 18650, so you don't run into the risk of overdischarging your unprotected 18650 cells.

Nitecore_LR12_37.png

Nitecore_LR12_38.png

Nitecore_LR12_39.png

Nitecore_LR12_40.png

Nitecore_LR12_41.png

Beamshots at half meter from the wall.
In case someone was wondering how the beam changes when the diffuser goes in an intermediate position between the fully retracted and fully extended position, I made some extra beamshots.

Nitecore_LR12_18.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_19.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_20.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_21.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_22.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_23.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_24.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_25.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_26.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_27.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_28.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_29.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_30.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_31.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_32.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_33.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_34.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_35.jpg

Nitecore_LR12_36.jpg

Thermal Test

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished
There isn't much to say about this light: Nitecore re proposed the winning LR10 formula in a bigger light that now is able to produce more output and have more runtime, a good thermal regulation and a different design in the diffuser that, although makes the LR12 still a viable lantern light, but now adds the chance of actually being used as a regular light.
I think you could very well paint the diffuser in red/orange or whatever color you want, in order to have a regular light with a "colored led lantern" alternative in the same package.

I would like to see this light with a NW tint and a sheath.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help, the tripod, the luxmeter and the thermal equipment

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which middle number?
The photos show the ISO, some number, and the F-stop.

Just to throw in my 2¢ worth, I don't see myself getting one of these. I have a couple LR10 CRI that I like for small area lighting. That more than suits me needs in that area. I could see its usefulness in a camping environment, But I already have my EA11 to fill any lighting needs for further out. But to each his own.