keychain light w hotspot

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a couple of keychain lights that are pretty bright but have optics with no hotspot. I like a conventional beam like my old nitecore ez cr2. Small, light with reflector and conventional beam. Maybe an XP-E so die is small enough to produce a hotspot or an XP-G2. Must have a reflector and don't want it to be heavy like my olight cr3 light. Suggestions? BTW i prefer rechargeable with micro usb or CR2. AAA heads too narrow. AA too heavy. CR123A ok if really light hut cr2 better. Ideas? Oh keychain loop must be in the back. I hate my Olight with keychain loop near the head on the clip. Thanks!

Poppy

Flashaholic
You might consider the JetBeam mini
It has TIR optic, but it has a hot spot, maybe too broad for your liking.
Just like your old nitecore ez, it has 130 lumens high.
Micro USB rechargeable
Small and lightweight.
keychain loop is on the rear.
XP-G2 LED.

recDNA

Flashaholic
You might consider the JetBeam mini
It has TIR optic, but it has a hot spot, maybe too broad for your liking.
Just like your old nitecore ez, it has 130 lumens high.
Micro USB rechargeable
Small and lightweight.
keychain loop is on the rear.
XP-G2 LED.
It's a possibility if I can't find one with a reflector. I really like the old fashioned hotspot with spill. That gives you a little throw. My driveway is long and I like to see the front door. I leave the lights out outdoors because thry attract so many bugs to the door. No street lights. My house is in the woods on conservation land so I like to scan for critters as well as see my door lock. Anyway that's the kind of light I want. Keychain. Lightweight.

pc_light

Enlightened
The Nitecore EZ starts with a relatively deep reflector and when combined with an XP-E results in a tight hotspot; gonna be a challenge to match in a small/light AAA.

You might want to take a look at the PKDL PL2. Not as tight or bright at a NC EZ but one of the more throwy AAA's I've used. Contact member bykfixer for more information or checkout his MilePost28 website.

Amongst micro USB rechargeable "keychain lights" the throwiest one I've used is the Astrolux K1. It's not as tight as the EZ or PL2 but is tighter than other small keychain lights and through brute (lumen) force might have the reach you need.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
JiL-Lite ... but very difficult to find their current production items, let alone discontinued versions like the CR2 models that would meet your listed criteria.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks! Yes I don't want to eliminate cylindrical lightweight models from consideration.

elzilcho

Enlightened
The Muyshondt Aeon (Mk I/II/III) has a reflector and gives reasonably good throw for a small CR2 light. The older versions are sometimes difficult to find but the Mk III is still in production.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the mention PC.

Former SureFire designer PK Paul Kim used an XPG R5 in the PL2 and a deep, mirror smooth reflector.

Works with eneloops just fine. 110 lumens with no step down or 12 low with a twisty head interface. Easily shines 50-75 feet with a good spill.
Basically he designed a PL1 while at SureFire but back then no battery could produce the power to make it much brighter than a minimag. In 2015 he completed the design around ultimate lithiums and released the PL2 in the 3rd quarter of 2016. It was the worlds brightest triple A light for about 12 minutes before somebody else made them brighter (for brief periods before stepping down).

recDNA

Flashaholic
AA or multi AAA lights. are too big & heavy for a keychain... I should say for MY keychain.

I'd prefer something Asian to Muyshondt. Too pricy for keychain. I'm really looking. for mainstream brands here maybe 50 dollars max.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Let me approach this a different way. Is there some way to attach a ring to the flat back of my Olight without special tools or soldering?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I bought a Nitecore tip. It sucks for my purposes. No hotspot. Oh well one more flashlight in the drawer

colight

Enlightened
I have a couple of keychain lights that are pretty bright but have optics with no hotspot. I like a conventional beam like my old nitecore ez cr2. Small, light with reflector and conventional beam. Maybe an XP-E so die is small enough to produce a hotspot or an XP-G2. Must have a reflector and don't want it to be heavy like my olight cr3 light. Suggestions? BTW i prefer rechargeable with micro usb or CR2. AAA heads too narrow. AA too heavy. CR123A ok if really light hut cr2 better. Ideas? Oh keychain loop must be in the back. I hate my Olight with keychain loop near the head on the clip. Thanks!

Hi. I have a Fenix UC02 SS, which I am very happy with. It complies with all of your requirements, as far as I know, save for the hotspot. 130 lumens over 48 m, twisty to low and high, micro USB rechargeable, XP-G2 LED, and a 10180 battery which on my product seems to last forever and a day. Just after purchasing it the battery didn't last 3 days, and that while hardly being used. I returned it to Fenix, and I don't know what magic they performed, but after I got it back it seems the battery just lasts forever.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi. I have a Fenix UC02 SS, which I am very happy with. It complies with all of your requirements, as far as I know, save for the hotspot. 130 lumens over 48 m, twisty to low and high, micro USB rechargeable, XP-G2 LED, and a 10180 battery which on my product seems to last forever and a day. Just after purchasing it the battery didn't last 3 days, and that while hardly being used. I returned it to Fenix, and I don't know what magic they performed, but after I got it back it seems the battery just lasts forever.
The hotspot is the entire point! It's why my Nitecore Tip will now be a dust bunny. I like a hotspot. Best I seem to do is my ancient ez cr2

pc_light

Enlightened
HI recDNA, so the search goes on it seems.

I limited my initial recommendations to AAA/USB lights but since you seem open to suggestions, another pocket thrower that I rotate EDC is a DQG AA-slim.

It's an odd duck, actually uses a ½-AA (primary OR rechargeable) lithium, which is smaller than even a CR2 and it uses an optic for throw. There is also an extension tube (sold separately) that will allow the light to be used with std AA as well as 14500 cells. Even in full AA format It's about as small as an AA light can get. I carry it over my NC TIP when I think I might need throw over wide. Note though that it only comes in SS, Brass or Ti so there's slightly more weight compared to Al.

I don't have the NC EZ-CR2 but I do have an EZ-AA which might work for beam comparison. Here are some photos for your reference, taken with cellphone at 3- ft from wall for hot-spot comparison.

From left to right order - Nitecore TIP (it's there, just no hotspot), DQG Slim AA, PK PL2, EZ-AA (3-ft from wall)
YiVOxrV.jpg

The latter three lights without the TIP, which as you've discovered is so floody by comparison that the hotspot doesn't even show.
(from Left to Right) Slim AA, PK PL2, EZ-AA
h6unDfy.jpg

All were set on their max level. The PK PL2 is tighter than the DQG Slim AA (almost as tight as the EZ-AA) but the DQG Slim AA is 2x brighter which will help with throw.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'd prefer CR2 or CR123A or rechargeable for more power & a little bigger reflector. They all used to have hotspots.

frigide

Newly Enlightened
I'd prefer CR2 or CR123A or rechargeable for more power & a little bigger reflector. They all used to have hotspots.

Is like a CR123 light with a good hotspot as well. Why is there no brand that makes a Olight S1 kind of light ( maby a bit longer) witch a nice trow. Is mist the foursevens sell out. Foursevens had foursevens mini mk2 turbo . Only downside is was no clicky. The new seller is way to expensive. And there is extra tax for the European buyers.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is like a CR123 light with a good hotspot as well. Why is there no brand that makes a Olight S1 kind of light ( maby a bit longer) witch a nice trow. Is mist the foursevens sell out. Foursevens had foursevens mini mk2 turbo . Only downside is was no clicky. The new seller is way to expensive. And there is extra tax for the European buyers.
I have the 4sevens mini turbo but it is ss so it weighs a ton. No good for keychain. I have a bunch of little lights like that I would do a WTT on but who would want 3 small lights? No way I would do 4 trades. I'd rather trade all 3 that don't work for me for one that does. Like my Olight mini is nice but useless for my purposes. Ditto my 4sevens ss turbo mini. Now add the nightcore tip to the list. Trouble is what would those 3 get me? Not much I would want.