• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How To Install a Clip Under the Bezel of Your HDS Rotary

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really thought this was already written up somewhere but I couldn't find it, so I thought I'd make a post we could point people to for this often-asked question.

First things first -- Henry at HDS recommends against this. In fact he says you shouldn't do it. I respect that and want it known to anyone reading this. Doing this "mod" on your light may make it slightly less water resistant and it may be slightly weaker in the bezel area, but many of us have done this and never had an issue. Its still a very strong, very well sealed light, plus this "mod" is completely reversible so you can always "undo" it. Henry doesn't compromise, period, end of story. But I'm willing to compromise, to a very limited amount, for this much more useful carry arrangement. You make your own decisions, but just know that this is very much an unofficial and unsupported mod.

Here's a couple of examples of the finished assembly, just so we all know the goal. I'm using Oveready clips on my lights and in these pics, but the Prometheus clip will work as well. I'd bet most universal 1" clips could be made to work, but I haven't tried them all.
WSvNmsY.jpg

CIPuHgR.jpg

So here's the plan, step-by-step. Let's make this TiAlN-coated Oveready clip fit under the bezel of this Rotary:
IQI4IOp.jpg

Here you can see how the head goes together. The middle part is the reflector. You want to put the clip above the reflector, touching the bezel. If you put it below, touching the head, it'll space the reflector up relative to the emitter and screw up the LED focus. Donut holes anyone?
ORU6QHP.jpg

Another view of the parts here, fully disassembled.
RHRwhEY.jpg

So now we hit our first snag. The clip doesn't fit. The inside diameter (ID) is too small. :/
3T1Ia2a.jpg

We can fix that. Hold the clip with a wet cloth so you don't overheat the metal or burn your hands. Then just gently grind it open inside using a Dremel. I also like to keep a small dish of water close by so I can dunk it if it starts to get hot. Heating the metal too much will cause it to change color, which may be cool if its what you want, but its easy to prevent with water if you don't.
4yUj1E2.jpg

This is about the thickness you're shooting for. Keep your flashlight close by for test-fitting as you go, so you know when it fits. This one is done, aside from some deburring.
PkM8NA0.jpg

It fits! Notice I've put it below the o-ring. In other words, remove the o-ring, set the clip in place, then put the o-ring back. That's because the o-ring sits in a groove in the bezel piece. It needs to be above the clip.
HH7fg91.jpg

Now for re-assembly of the bezel, and where we encounter our second little snag. We've now got extra internal space from the thickness of the added clip, because the bezel won't be screwing down as far as it used to. There's a small o-ring that goes between the reflector and the crystal glass. We need to replace this o-ring with something thicker to make up for the space the clip just added to the assembly.

The original o-ring here is an N1x19. We need something of the same overall size, but with about 1mm more thickness. I
've tried several sizes. 2x19s fit too, but I like these 2x18.5's the best. Here's a comparison:
eGJtz1N.jpg

...and here's that thicker o-ring, laid into the channel on the top of the reflector. Be sure to lube your o-rings, lightly. Dry o-rings are bad:
9MPtMwv.jpg

Then just stack on your crystal and screw on the bezel, making sure the original stock o-ring is still in place above the glass. Just like it came apart. Here's the finished look:
i5NzK1N.jpg

As you'd expect the new, larger o-ring is more visible below the crystal. Not much to be done about that, but I don't think it looks bad at all. I don't have a way to pressure-test these "modded" lights but in practice I've had zero issues, and my bezel-clipped Rotaries have been in all sorts of water, from pools to streams to oceans. Never a problem.
raxW89n.jpg

QoPxb0p.jpg

And one parting shot of some of my favorites -- two Rotaries both modded like this, plus my favorite Clicky wearing the same clip under his tail. :)
ReMlzbQ.jpg

Fin. Any questions just ask!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I don't have a good photo handy, but using one of the wide conical grinding stones instead (and applying this to alternate sides of the original hole) , helps to keep things centered.

Can finish things off with a little deburring / chamfering / polishing at the very end, with a smaller bit, to neaten up the final product too.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running my Tactical with the clip under the bezel for a week now, and just wanted to thank you for helping me like it a bit more.
P

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Awesome, thanks for sharing. I've been looking into adding a rotary to my collection but a clip is essential to me.

hatman

Enlightened
The Prometheus Ti clip may be my all-time favorite clip.
I find myself leaving my Rotary at home and carrying my Clicky just because of the clip.
If only there were a way to install the Ti clip on the Rotary so it could be carried bezel down, like the Clicky.

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
Well after just one day of universal clip in the pocket I'm done..just ordered the Over Ready and went to the Oringstore .com and bought 2X18.5mm buna 70 orings, Dremel is ready..

michpatriot

Newly Enlightened
Got my Oveready clip Dremeled out and installed with the thicker Oring.. this clip is Great!

klackey

Enlightened
I have used this solution. I actually use the HDS clip for the "clicky". It is a cheap and easy fix. Only down side is that the clips base stands "proud" off the body of the light a little. This does not bother me but it might for some.

I am also using the larger o-ring listed in this thread.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Advice required!

I have enlarged the clip to fit but when I removed the head from my rotary the thread section is still attached to the bezel.

How do I remove the threaded section from the bezel without damaging the threads?

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave, I've had the same problem - never fear!
Try wrapping the bezel and then the threaded bit with a a couple of flat rubber bands, this should give you enough grip. Failing that wear Marigolds and try again.
I don't know if rubber strap wrenches would go down that small, I've never bough a pair, as the ones over here look like thay'd last about 5 minutes.
It might be worth heating / cooling the assmbly as the bezel is stainless and the reflector is aluminium, their thermal coefficients will be differnt and they will expand / contract at different rates.
If it's really tight I've used a couple of pipe wrnches, but they will mark the threads and it's difficult to use them them over the rubber bands.
Let me know how you get on.
P

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use in this case some pliers. To prevent damaging of the threads I use a piece of an old bycicle tube, maybe doubled to be sure the threads will not be harmed.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try wrapping the bezel and then the threaded bit with a a couple of flat rubber bands, this should give you enough grip. Failing that wear Marigolds and try again.

I use in this case some pliers. To prevent damaging of the threads I use a piece of an old bicycle tube, maybe doubled to be sure the threads will not be harmed.

Thanks for the suggestions, I managed to do it with a pair of disposable gloves, clip now fitted!! :twothumbs