Will Apple EVER upgrade the Mac Mini?

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will Apple EVER upgrade the Mac Mini?
Been wanting one for SO long, but the 2011 model is now obsolete, and there hasn't been a refresh or update in a very long time. Just wondering what the rumors (or facts!) are on any possible updates to the Mac Mini.

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Apple will make an announcement about the Mac Mini soon. There are rumors of a New, upgraded Mini release later this year.
AUGUST 20: Bloomberg: Mac mini update this year will target pro users, likely more expensive.

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I seriously doubt the macmini refresh is going to appease anyone. Actually, my prediction is the 2011 model is going to be far more preferable to a lot of users, being that it will still have all their favorite plug interfaces attached (Apple always disappears the plugs... would not surprise me if the new Mac Mini had no plugs but a power cable and nothing else.) Apple always takes baby steps, never giant leaps, with refreshes. The 2011 MacMini is not necessarily outdated or irrelevant. Since 2008 or so, consumer desktop machines in general have not been making huge leaps in refreshes from any manufacturer. They can't much increase clock speed, so they instead add cores, but this isn't doing much to increase processing speed except in extremely parallel processing. It really is not Apple's fault, it is due to Moore's Law.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that's what the Mac Pro was for. What's us low level users gonna use to surf blf in their spare time?

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picked up a nice 2014 model, tamper resistant screws and all. Then got a 2011 model with the awesome AMD video card and super easy upgrade ability. Still wanting a new "Pro" model. Any news out there?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Ask and ye shall receive; new Mac Mini announced today will have 3.2/4.6 Ghz 6-Core i7 processor, 32/64 GB RAM, four Thunderbolt ports, starting at $799.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
..but hooooo buddy, the MacBook Air has a Retina display now; it's so thin that it's a complete computer that weighs less than the Mac Mini..

night.hoodie

Enlightened
New Mac Mini is certainly decent. Boo on the Air! Boo! What is the virtue of having a single port that can only be used for... dongles? What is the virtue of "thinner at all costs!" This industrial design bent on getting everything as thin as paper is absurd for no practical purpose. Slightly less thin, with useful and currently commonly used ports would be far more appealing, far more useful. Dongles blow, and so do all bluetooth headphones! Wired cans are far superior for those that love or work with audio. Pro Audio helped put Apple in the pro environment, especially in the portable pro audio world, and Apple turns around and snubs its loyal pro supporters. Why, Apple? Why??! But I should add in all fairness, at least that single port is not proprietary locked-in garbage, but a bone fide industry standard. Actually, now used to Apple's MO, it is shocking to see a standard port anywhere on an Apple. And I am very happy with the new Mac Mini being more conventional, and I can only hope that it sells well, and helps drop the resale prices of the used and older Mini's, which is what I am after, because... Snow Leopard forever! Snow Leopard is the last legitimate Apple OS where full control can be had by the box administrator. Feature creep destroys! I hate the new Web that Apple was instrumental in ushering in... after Flash was defeated, JavaScript has become the latest scourge of the web at large. Nice browser you have there... wouldn't want anything to crash it! The more complex dumb web pages get, the worse the WWW experience is.