Change Zenon flash light to LED?

TheMAXX

Newly Enlightened
Change Zenon flash light to LED?

I bought a cheap compo pack quite a while ago that has a mount with a laser and a flashlight. The flashlight was supposed to be an LED but they substituted one with a Zenon bulb a UTG Swatforce 099PR2. This was long enough ago that I don't remember why it wasn't exchanged for the right thing. So recently while playing around I got to thinking could this Cheap light be upgraded to an LED. It takes 2 Cr123a batteries and it never was in any way bright. I contacted Leaper UTG asking if they had a led head that was directly compatible that could be swapped in, at the time the answer was no.

It would probably be cheaper to just buy another new flashlight. But if there is a cheap way to change this to an LED I would like to give it a try. So does anyone have any experience with this flashlight?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's possible that light uses a standard P6 type dropin, in which case there are a multitude of options. If not, there are likely few if any, other than a full DIY. Unfortunately, since it is not an LED light, I suspect you aren't likely to get good news here.

If someone (maybe the manufacturer?) knows that particular light, they can tell you whether it uses a P6 type dropin. Barring that, you could disassemble the light, post some pics and we can help you to determine what your options might be.

TheMAXX

Newly Enlightened
This one doesn't use the P6 module. I guess I am not on here often enough, I don't have authorization to post attachments which I assume is how I would post a picture. But here is a link to the Flashlight it is the 099PR2. And page 6 under the Bulb replacement shows the thing apart. Thank you for any help you can be.

https://leapers.com/pag/download.ph...ht (for general flashlight).pdf&folder=manual

This thing even with brand new Cr123a surefire batteries is MUCH dimmer then the free junky LED flashlight I can get from Harbor Freight.

BTW i am in Connecticut also, FFLD.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few things come to mind. Firstly, nobody is allowed to post pictures. What you have to do is put your pic on a third party site like google drive, picasa, dropbox, etc. Then you get a link to the pic. If you paste the link directly into the post, it shows up as a link like in your previous post. If you click the "Insert Image" icon, and paste the link in the box that opens up, the pic shows up directly in your post.

There can be some issues with this method. I use dropbox, and learned after struggling a lot that you have to modify the address that dropbox gives you. If you've tried third party posting, maybe you have the same kind of issue.

Is the bulb in your light significantly darkened? I know some bulbs get metal deposits on the inside of the glass that severely decreases the output. The old AA Maglights had this problem in spades. I would think it would look silvery, but it normally is very dark.

It looks like your light needs a dropin of different dimensions than a P6. If you could post some dimensions, maybe someone could help you (not me). If it was my light and I really liked it, I might be able to make a new dropin (sorry, its an 'IRB' not a dropin) for it, or maybe not.

TheMAXX

Newly Enlightened
A few things come to mind. Firstly, nobody is allowed to post pictures. What you have to do is put your pic on a third party site like google drive, picasa, dropbox, etc. Then you get a link to the pic. If you paste the link directly into the post, it shows up as a link like in your previous post. If you click the "Insert Image" icon, and paste the link in the box that opens up, the pic shows up directly in your post.

There can be some issues with this method. I use dropbox, and learned after struggling a lot that you have to modify the address that dropbox gives you. If you've tried third party posting, maybe you have the same kind of issue.

Is the bulb in your light significantly darkened? I know some bulbs get metal deposits on the inside of the glass that severely decreases the output. The old AA Maglights had this problem in spades. I would think it would look silvery, but it normally is very dark.

It looks like your light needs a dropin of different dimensions than a P6. If you could post some dimensions, maybe someone could help you (not me). If it was my light and I really liked it, I might be able to make a new dropin (sorry, its an 'IRB' not a dropin) for it, or maybe not.

I am very familiar with the old AA mag lights and the bulb getting dark. This bulb is clear as can be, so it isn't that. But I appreciate your thinking of that.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bc4Xry.jpg

This one uses a similar idea to the surefire 6P, but I bet they are different enough to not allow for a direct swap. If you can get the head apart (I just use a propane torch, applied carefully), you can take some measurements. The basic building blocks of a drop in are like $4 from Mountain Electronics. The LED and driver will up that, but if you bought the dropin (reflector/ pill/ spring), just to see if it would fit before going further, that'd be a step in the right direction.

PS: The Maxx is one of my fav cartoons. Sad that it was such a short run
07BAvm.jpg

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leapers /utg is usually budget end tactical accessories. Is this used as a weapons light? If so might I strong suggest upgrading to something a bit higher quality? The streamlight poly tac and last generation Surefire G2X can be found online in the $30 currently....