Does Surefire quality seem to be going up lately?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I know, I never really saw a drop in quality in Surefire Military products in my eyes, but noticed it in the civilian marketed lights. I watched the new Aviator come out, and thought to myself keep it up, Surefire.

Now this year, we have a few more lights like the Tactician, DF Fury and other new weapon lights that seem to be of higher quality.

Am I the only one who thinks their quality could be going up?

bigfoot

Enlightened
Okay... I'll bite. When you say "quality", do you mean build quality, or just more desirable / competitive features?

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
I am talking about build quality mostly, although I guess IB tech was a step forward, I am not too interested in that. I was just referring to build quality.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't comment on quality since I haven't bought a new Surefire in...well...ever, but I can say I think their designs are getting better. It seemed like right after PK left they were in a slump for a little while with uninspired designs, but some of their recent lights, like those mentioned in OP, look quite good.

Melson

Newly Enlightened
Long time lurker here,

I'd say their quality is top notch and it seems like they are *finally* and *almost* competing lumens wise with other brands.

But I'd say their decision making has been... off though. They discontinued the R1 Lawman and the Peacekeeper. Why? LE and Military are their bread and butter. Is it because they know LEO's are seeing other lights on the market and no longer capturing it like they used to? Why are they choosing only some of their lights to have 18650's which consumers have been asking for repeatedly?

So now I'm in the market for a light and I want to go Surefire. My two real options the tactician and edcl2 just aren't enough. Tactician is too floody for where I work and I don't like the gas pedal design for the EDCL2. If it was possible to use a clicky and cycle the two modes via the head maybe. But again it doesn't take 18650s. So now I'm at a crossroads. Do I look for a R1 on ebay? Or do I wait until 2019?