• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

DriverVNX3 - Culmination of Designs

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Richard McDougal of Mountain Electronics
&
Vinh Nguyen of Sky Lumen
is incredibly proud to introduce

DriverVNX3

We integrate some of the best LED flashlight UI designs with the culmination of knowledge, yet built from the ground up, both software & hardware. Little numbers of things does everything for everyone but we hope DriverVNX3 will cover enough grounds to suits most needs. This circuit & UI will be available in all 1 - 4 cells lights with an E-Switch/Side-Switch. Oh,
Richard is responsible for 99.99% of the formation of DriverVNX3. All I did was talk :p CHEERS!

DriverVNX3 is currently available for custom email order only!!!
[email protected]

VNX3 Demo Video Here

Ramp UI:

• Quick Click turns ON or OFF
  • From OFF: Click&Hold ramps up from lowest level
  • From ON: Click&Hold alternates ramps up or down
Note* Double Blink at top of ramp indicates Maximum 70% reached. Double Click activate 100% Turbo. Last mode memorized.

Discrete UI A

• From OFF: Quick Click turns ON
  • From ON: Quick Click advance sequence
  • From ON: Click&Hold reverse sequence
  • If light stays ON for >5s, Quick click turns OFF
Note* No fast way to turn off light before 5s. Great in practice but least tactical. Last mode memorized.

Discrete UI B

• Quick Click turns ON or OFF
  • Click&Hold advance sequence
Note* Similar to VNX2 UI. Last mode memorized.

Discrete UI C

• Quick Click turns ON & advance sequence
  • Click&Hold turns ON or OFF
Note* Last mode memorized so no access Lowest/1st level from OFF.

Ramping & Discrete UI Hidden Features

• Double Click = 100% Turbo
  • Triple Click = Strobe
  • Four Click = Beacon (Roadside Caution Signaling OK)
  • Five Click = Voltage Blinks
Note* Hidden Features can be activated from ON or OFF
Note* While in Hidden Features Quick Click revert back to last mode used
Note* Strobe is visually a bright constant ON with fast blinks. This practically allows constant target observation while the brighter blinks disorient. Achieved with specific blink frequency & duty cycle.

Note* Beacon is a dim constant ON with slow double blinks. Excellent as a beacon locator & roadside caution alert while keeping heat and run-time optimally.

Config Mode

• 8 Quick Click enters Config Mode. Light will blink ON & OFF if activated or does nothing if Config Lock.
  • Each setting has 4 group of Clicks
  • Example: 8-1-3-2 = 8 Click, then 1 Click, then 3 Click, then 2 Click
Note* Brief pause between Clicks for successful indication blinks before proceed.
Note* All configurations memorized even after battery changes.

Ramp or Discrete UI Toggle
8-1-1-1 = Ramp
8-1-1-2 = Discrete

Discrete UI A-B-C Toggle
8-1-3-1 = A
8-1-3-2 = B
8-1-3-3 = C

Discrete Groups Selection
8-1-2-1 = FF – 50%
8-1-2-2 = 5% – 50%.
8-1-2-3 = 20% – 50%.
8-1-2-4 = FF – 20% – 50%.
8-1-2-5 = FF – 5% – 15% – 40% – 70%.
8-1-2-6 = FF – 5% – 15% – 40% – 70% – 2Hz – 1Hz – 1/2Hz
8-1-2-7 = Single Mode 100%
Note* All groups has last mode memory
Note* Simplistic 2 mode groups appeal to general use
Note* Multi modes with lower frequency blinks caters to advanced or specific uses

FireFly Config
8-2-1-1 = Dim FireFly
8-2-1-2 = Medium FireFly
8-2-1-3 = High FireFly
8-2-1-4 = Bright FireFly
[FONT=&quot]8-2-1-X = Brighter Firefly[/FONT]
Note* Only some lights can run Dim FireFly. Incompatible lights will shed no light in Dim FireFly.

Turbo Timer
8-2-2-1 = TT OFF
8-2-2-2 = 30s
8-2-2-3 = 45s
8-2-2-4 = 1min
8-2-2-5 = 1.5min
8-2-2-6 = 2min
8-2-2-7 = 3min
8-2-2-8 = 5min
8-2-2-9 = 8min
Note* 2-3min is recommended for most Sky Lumen Lights. Light will ramp down to 50% power once Turbo Timer is initiated.

Temperature Sensor
8-2-3-1 => Activates 50% Power
Quick Click in the first 10s = 120C (Practically OFF. 120C is HOT and is somewhat a FaileSafe)
After 10s, light turns on 100%. Quick Click when desired temp reached.

Battery Insert LED Start-UP
8-2-4-1 = OFF
8-2-4-2 = ON 100%
Note* Set to ON = no more fumbling in dark looking for switch after battery changes. Great for caving. Also act as a Dummy ON-OFF with mechanically Lock Out lights.

Night Locate Indicator LED
8-2-5-1 = OFF
8-2-5-2 = ON (Activates after 5s OFF)
Note* Feature only available with specifically equip lights.

Override # of cells detect
8-2-6-1 => 8-2-6-30
1 Click for each 4.2V cell

LockOut Toggles
10 Click with 10th​ Click&Hold
Note* Also engage Mechanical LockOut by loosening Tail cap or body if available.

Config Lock Toggles
16 Clicks with 16th​ Click&Hold
Note* Highly recommend after you tailor the light to your desires

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I never really got out of driver vn is a nice 3 mode spacing. The jump from 1st to 2nd was too large and 2nd to 3rd too small. I think 1-10-100 or something around that would have been ideal-- to me anyways, or 1-15-100.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
What I never really got out of driver vn is a nice 3 mode spacing. The jump from 1st to 2nd was too large and 2nd to 3rd too small. I think 1-10-100 or something around that would have been ideal-- to me anyways, or 1-15-100.

If you want you can pay extra for mod spacing adjustment to your needs. Pricey though.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I really like HDS, BOSS, and Dr Jones H17F style programming where you can choose each mode exactly. I tend to prefer more bias towards low modes than most lights come with from factory.

That being said, I like the looks of this driver. Ramping UI is a nice addition.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ramping is so useful for general and some specialized use. Hopefully this will allow more people to learn about, and benefit from it. Great work from mtnelectronics and skylumen

SKV89

Enlightened
Wow awesome! Looking forward to seeing it in some Skylumen productions.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
It took many months of trial and error to have what we see here. I took look forward to it in Sky Lumen lights. I will do a demo video when I get back. :)

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. Driver vnx3 will take over driver vnx2 which missing some great mode.. with driver vnx2, you can double click to turbo but you can't double click to return to previous mode..

hopefully, driver vnx3 will fix those issues.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving the ramping UI of DriverVNX3 as it gives instant access to moonlight, turbo, and the last mode you were in. I also love the hidden strobe, beacon, and voltage blinks.

What I don't love is the delay from button click to emitter activation. In every mode, discrete or ramping, there is a 1s+ delay from clicking the button to the emitters turning on, or off. I'm spoiled by the instant activation of my Thrunite V6 Catapult I guess. I have an Emisar D4S coming in the mail with a similar ramping UI and really hope it doesn't suffer from the same switch/activation lag because other than that, the mode-memory ramp UI is fantastic - better to me than even Zebralight's amazing UI which has been my favorite since my first ZL six years ago.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I'm loving the ramping UI of DriverVNX3 as it gives instant access to moonlight, turbo, and the last mode you were in. I also love the hidden strobe, beacon, and voltage blinks.

What I don't love is the delay from button click to emitter activation. Agree. A fix needs to be done but not in the mean time. :-(

In every mode, discrete or ramping, there is a 1s+ delay from clicking the button to the emitters turning on, or off. I'm spoiled by the instant activation of my Thrunite V6 Catapult I guess. I have an Emisar D4S coming in the mail with a similar ramping UI and really hope it doesn't suffer from the same switch/activation lag because other than that, the mode-memory ramp UI is fantastic - better to me than even Zebralight's amazing UI which has been my favorite since my first ZL six years ago.

tcglog

Newly Enlightened
Does driverVN have flat regulation or is it direct drive?

Not a question worthy of an answer? V1 seemed to be direct drive, so is that the same with the newer versions?? If so, why?