Fireflies ROT66

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have thoughts on the Fireflies ROT66?

aYQzOwg.jpg

There's a big thread on the other flashlight forum about it.

Looks pretty nice.

Here's the manufacturer description:

Product Description:

9x CREE XPL High Intensity Emitters / 9x Nichia 219B SW45K R9080 High CRI Emitters
Made of 7075 aluminum alloy
Body color: champagne color or Black color
HAIII Anodising Surface Finish
Stainless Steel bezel;
Max Brightness: 10 000 Lumens (9xCREE XPL Hi CW V3) / 5000 Lumens( 9x Nichia 219B)
3×18650 battery carrier
25 degree angle TRI lens 98% AR coating glass lens
Digital current regulation on lower brightness
IPX8 waterproof , underwater 2 meters
Size: 110mm x 47mmx45mm body
Weight: 240gram

It also has a nice selection of emitters:
Nichia 219B R9080 bin are apparently pretty rare. With the Nichia, the light outputs over 5,000 lumens of 96 CRI rosy-tinted light.
It also comes in cool white XPL HI (over 9000 lumens, 70 CRI)
and in neutral white XPL HI (4500k to 5000k)

The UI should be quite nice too since it's running Narsilm. So should have a UI similar to a BLF GT or Q8.

Apparently these are already for sale at the manufacturer's website. The driver was designed by Lexel on BLF.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a dream light for me. I'm pretty sure this is the first ever company manufactured stock light that offers a Nichia of R9080 quality. Everything else has been R9050 at best. What does that mean? Exceedingly high CRI with high R9 values of 80-90+ and a rosy tint.

What's more, I don't really like 4x 18650 soda can lights because I find their handles too large and not very ergonomic. 3x 18650 is the sweetspot. I like 1x 26650 sized handles the best, but 1 26650 doesn't provide enough juice to power 9 emitters like this. I doubt this thing will last very long on the max 5000/10,000 lumen output without getting extremely hot, but I hope to think it has rather good efficiency around the 1-2k lumen range given its 9 emitters.

Hopefully the light has some decent reach as well, given the 25 degree angle TIRs. I don't really like floody TIRs. At the same time I want a fat hotspot though.

I ordered a champagne Nichia version earlier today.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is only because CPF member twistedraven made remarks on this flashlight that demands a closer look, given that soda pop can sized flashlights are unnecessarily bulky for regular use (one opinion).

Let's add to this thread that it has a ramping interface; that we are talking 219B Nichia with a color temperature of 4423K (the XPL HI is over 6000K)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Said to be made of 7075 aluminum alloy with stainless bezel and tailcap. Going to be a rosy tint on this one but reading on that other forum, sounds like a warmer XPL HI would be available. The manufacturer seems to be related to Enogear, if anyone here has a perspective on them...

Switch quality and switch acquisition during real-world use are questions in this mind.
Lanyard use is seemingly mandatory for such a straight walled light, and the design includes a plausible method of attachment.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPL HI is available in both cool and neutral tints.

The neutral white tint is 3A, so around 5000K and not greenish.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks very similar to what the Emisar D7 sounded like it would be, except you get to choose between crazy high output, or crazy high color quality. Interesting since Clemence of Virence.com was told he'd gotten a hold of some of the very last SW45K R9080 219B's available, but this company apparently has an ample supply of them.

I assume it has the typical 7135 + FET driver, while Emisar was rumored to be working on something a little more sophisticated, but it hardly matters since the D7 is cancelled.

Combine that the emitter options with NarsilM and this sounds really nice. If that lanyard ring is in a 1/4-20 hole so it can be swapped for a tripod mount, then it looks even better. I've been thinking about getting a Q8 and trying the Samsung high CRI emitters in it, but this makes for a more difficult choice.

And for the first light produced by this company...this company is off to a really good start. They even published their color test results. Awesome.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw on the BLF thread that Lexel did the driver design, so it should be high quality. I doubt many people would catch a distributor cheating them with counterfeit microcontrollers, but he says that's exactly what initially happened to them.

I see 14 x 7135 chips, so considering the limited efficiency of the 219B, I'm guessing it will be regulated to around 1000 lumens.

He labeled the driver board FET + 1, so I assume those are all on the same channel. That would likely put the minimum mode at a couple lumens.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The group buy is up on the vendors section for those who couldn't quite get behind the 98 dollar price point.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other flashlight forum, Lexel confirmed that the driver is triple-channel.

So I assume this means, 1 channel has 1x7135, the second has 14x7135, and the third has the FET.

So moonlight should be an actual moonlight.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The group buy is up on the vendors section for those who couldn't quite get behind the 98 dollar price point.

Thanks! It took me a minute to find it under freeme's deals.

I guess I have to make my decision whether or not to jump on this without knowing the final price.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checking the manufacturer's website these lights are available stock in 4 flavors of LED:

Nichia 219B-V1 R9080
XPL Hi V3 1A Cool White
XPL Hi V3 3A 5000K Neutral White
XPL HI U6 5B 4000K

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Closest competition would probably be the Meteor M43, Manker MK34, BLF Q8, Olight SR Mini 2, Astrolux MF01.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
K30 as well.

Really anything that's a soda-can shaped light or a high CRI monster is a worthwhile comparison. Being the tint enthusiast that I am I would look more towards color rendering and tint comparisons vs other lights.

When I get mine I'm for sure gonna compare it against my other high cri lights.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
The ROT66 is really small and heats up very quickly. When you ramp up, you can notice the 3 steps... don't know how to explain, but it looks like a very short pause at a certain output and then continues.. It heats up really quickly though.. you can literally feel it within a few seconds after turning it on.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you ramp up, you can notice the 3 steps... don't know how to explain, but it looks like a very short pause at a certain output and then continues

Those little blips are intentional, because it lets the user know which sort of regulation is currently being used. At the dimmest levels the light is running just one 7135 - very efficient. Then as you ramp up higher, eventually it gives a blip and steps into the larger (7?) bank of 7135's. Ramp even more and it blips again as it fires up the FET, giving full power.

A "muggle" won't care about those blips, may not even notice them, but a more sophisticated user, especially one with runtime concerns, will be looking for the blips.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Black Nichia ROT66 from the group buy arrived today. Product box in perfect condition, LEDs all centered perfectly in their optics, and no damaged LEDs to speak of. The tint is gorgeous! The moonlight is also a good bit dimmer than both of my other Zebralights' lowest outputs.

LKQ4pW9.jpg

dfMKkgM.jpg

SC600 MK3 HI, ROT66 Nichia, H600FC MK4
9caWqye.jpg

T21vn Oslon Black Flat, T40vn XHP35 HI 4000k Catapult V6 5000k, ROT66 Nichia, SC600 MK3 HI, H600FC MK4
RW1xTnU.jpg