12vac flame effect wedge bulbs for landscape lighting?

mikoz

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have some outdoor landscape lanterns around my sidewalk that are driven by a 12vac transformer... a standard outdoor landscape setup. Currently, I have installed some wedge LED bulbs... a big improvement over the stock incand bulbs which I grew tired of replacing. But, I can't help but think that a flame effect/flickering would look awesome. Obviously I'm not talking about an off/on effect, rather a natural random flickering pattern. Does anyone know if these types of bulbs exist? I haven't been able to find any.

It's kind of ironic, people complain about LED light flickering and here I am requesting it... although obviously I want the effect to be different :)

thanks.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe any are made at this time. Give China a few days to read this message and I'm sure they'll come out with some this week. Lol
I'll keep my eyes open for ya, I like the idea! Wouldn't be hard to DIY a set if you REALLY wanted to.

mikoz

Newly Enlightened
I don't believe any are made at this time. Give China a few days to read this message and I'm sure they'll come out with some this week. Lol
I'll keep my eyes open for ya, I like the idea! Wouldn't be hard to DIY a set if you REALLY wanted to.

I think, as a DIY project, you'd have to make some type of variable AC control using something like a fluorescent starter for 12V (if they make those), but then this is bulky, and each light would require a unique version of this circuit, I'd have to run more underground wires, etc. You could make a DC circuit too, but again, this is all bulky and requires a lot of underground wiring. I don't see an easier way.

Sure would be neat to have.

I found this little guy in the UK... only 1watt, and also UK-only:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Volt...052716?hash=item3d2e418c2c:g:-roAAOSw5cNYV71f

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
That one might work but it's probably closer to the "led flicker candle" then a real flame.
If I were going to do a mod, I'd open and build individual modules for each light, designed to run off the stock power supply, built right into the fixture. That way there's no digging or wiring replacement. Plug and play so to speak.

Culper506

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have some outdoor landscape lanterns around my sidewalk that are driven by a 12vac transformer... a standard outdoor landscape setup. Currently, I have installed some wedge LED bulbs... a big improvement over the stock incand bulbs which I grew tired of replacing. But, I can't help but think that a flame effect/flickering would look awesome. Obviously I'm not talking about an off/on effect, rather a natural random flickering pattern. Does anyone know if these types of bulbs exist? I haven't been able to find any.

It's kind of ironic, people complain about LED light flickering and here I am requesting it... although obviously I want the effect to be different :)

thanks.
You ever find any? I'm currently also realizing this is an untapped market...

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's some interesting discussion on flickering LED devices here, albeit battery powered:

How much DIY would you be be prepared to do? Are you prepared to replace the lights themselves?

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you give us the bulb type designation (envelope/base) you are trying to replace?

In my limited experience with cheap solar flickering torch devices, you need several LEDS with at least a couple of inches of vertical separation to get the effect (versus flickering candle flame). The light I mention has a thin PCB strip with 5-6 SMT LEDs on each side, which are sequenced. This would be hard to fit into a small bulb.

If solar is an option these lights are out there. Problem with my solar torch is it runs only a few hours per night due to small solar panel and cell. Not terribly bright but looks quite nice while it runs. I suppose you could wire something like this to your LV 12v wiring but need to step reduce the voltage quite a bit which could be (very) inefficient, and a pain.

Dave

BTW eBay link appears bad