• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New Mahi head

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I have been wanting to offer a head similar in performance to the Haiku but with better thermal capacity for the turbo modes and with the quick ease of light engine exchange enjoyed by the Mule, SunDrop and Makai heads. I knew I could leverage the reflector I designed for the Aqua and Terra Ram lights and it was just a matter of doing it. I really like the overall light management of that reflector and with its threads into the head and tight coupling against the MCPCB of the light engines it provides greater thermal paths and capacity. I kept the head beefy like the Aqua and Terra head and it uses the same window and has the same clear path for the photons to exit without hitting the lip of the light. With the availability now of the 14500 and 16650 protected Li-Ion batteries, I am stoked with the options of not only easy to swap heads and light engines but paks as well. I realize that most of us end up with dedicated and complete lights but beyond being able to build a light with options in size and battery capacity it is cool to be able to have say a specialized light engine like a UV light engine that one can easily put in a Mule head for wide infield illumination and then put it in the Mahi to go hunt for scorpions or spots on the distant wall. Mahi is Maori word for work (noun and verb) and I feel it is a fitting name for this head.

_7260069.jpg

_7260079.jpg

_7260102.jpg

_7260106.jpg

on 2x123 pak:

_7260127.jpg

One needs to confirm that the LED lead solder joints are clear from contact in the various heads which is possible but might require some rework. The head is $205 by itself. A Mahi 1x123 HIVE XPG2 for instance would go for $205 + $170 + $135 = $510

Light-E-SeriesComponentBuildList.jpg

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don....... Thank you!!!! This is just what I have been wanting for a long time, I can't wait to order one!

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks great!

Any pictures from the front end?

Last edited:

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between the Mahi and the Makai? I have been unsure whether to get an XPG2 Makai or AquaRam for some time - how does the Mahi fit in?

archimedes

Flashaholic

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
^^^ thanks Archimedes, will follow the link.

I do love my e-series compatibles so this appeals, still not 100% clear on difference between Makai and Aquaram (since late 2013)

EDIT ah, I posted the first post in that thread.... so if I want maximum throw, the Makai is the one to get?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
^^^ thanks Archimedes, will follow the link.

I do love my e-series compatibles so this appeals, still not 100% clear on difference between Makai and Aquaram (since late 2013)

EDIT ah, I posted the first post in that thread.... so if I want maximum throw, the Makai is the one to get?

The Makai is a larger head as seen in the pics and it does have a much larger reflector with longer focal length. It's spot is noticeably tighter and brighter than the Mahi. You will not get a significant change in beam from Haiku to Mahi. There is a difference but the main advantage in use is the Mahi can handle the heat generated on high much better than the Haiku and of course the easy exchange of light engines.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
The Makai is a larger head as seen in the pics and it does have a much larger reflector with longer focal length. It's spot is noticeably tighter and brighter than the Mahi. You will not get a significant change in beam from Haiku to Mahi. There is a difference but the main advantage in use is the Mahi can handle the heat generated on high much better than the Haiku and of course the easy exchange of light engines.

Thanks Don and Archimedes.