HDS EDC Ultimate Reflector

CRKDMike

Enlightened
I have searched for quite a while and I cannot find any info on how to swap out the reflector in the EDC Ultimate.

Can anyone shed some light on this process? Boom.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Here you go. Courtesy of the Legendary Hogo.

https://youtu.be/eA_mbBI5gGk

Edit: sorry....just noticed you asked about the EDC Ultimate. I have no idea if its relevant.

unfortunately the Ultimate is different.

Can't be done without special tools and even then, it takes some special curse words.

I have a whole slew of special curse words ready. The tools may be a problem....

So you are saying that it is not easily done then?

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Is this light user serviceable at all? My main concerns are the button (when it gets dry and cracked or maybe even broken eventually), and the lens.

I was going to change out the reflector to an orange peel version, so it wasn't a necessity.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
He can?? To what degree

Basically to the degree that he will give a credit on the older light or replace it.
He sold all the stuff to service... though I wouldn't doubt he could take one apart and work on it if he was so inclined... which he isn't.

Warranty service on EDC UltimateTM and EDC BasicTM flashlightsWe sold the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic product lines in May 2006 along with all of the tooling, spare parts and fixtures required to provide warranty repairs. We learned from our valued customers in 2007 that warranty service was no longer being provided for these products. We find this unacceptable. Effective immediately, we will provide warranty service for the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic flashlights. As we have no spare parts, tools or fixtures, we will replace flashlights we cannot fix with new flashlights. We will honor the light output and runtime specifications of the light exchanged. If your light must be exchanged and you would rather upgrade to one of our current models, we will provide you an $80 credit toward the purchase of any of our current models, including custom models.We want you to know that we value you as a customer. And we want you to know we are here for the long term. We appreciate your business and hope that when it's time for you to get a new flashlight, you will think of us.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, all of this is from my memory from over ten years ago when I did my last mod on one of the original EDC series, so FWIW:

It's not really so hard. The "tool" would just be something to grab the lock ring holding the lens. Most of us did this just to put in a titanium or stainless steel bezel ring, because the end of the tube was so easily damaged (see new, grenade launcher proof design).

I just use a small, long-nosed pair of needle nose pliers, and lock them in the two opposing dimples. You can get better force with a pair of circlip pliers if they go wide enough, as they expand when you squeeze the handles.

Then I think the lens and reflector are free to come forward out of the tube.

I know I did the LED mod from the front end, opposite of a Novatac, which has a thread-locked ring holding the works from behind. That is WAY tougher to defeat, but then the whole engine dumps out the back.

Oh, and if you bugger yours up trying this, please don't blame me! :D

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yes I remember now. I used the ID part of a pair of calipers. You know the pointy part of them. Worked great

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done it too, also using precision needlenose pliers. I rest the tips of the jaws into the opposite notches, then I make a fist and force my hand down between the arms of the tool so there's plenty of outward force to keep them locked into the notches. Otherwise its easy for the jaws to jump out of the notches and scratch something. Certainly not a zero-risk activity, but its doable.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I remember now. I used the ID part of a pair of calipers. You know the pointy part of them. Worked great

Yes, this! If you have a set, of course. As soon as I read that, I think I remembered using those too. I use my smooth-jawed, long nose needle nose pliers for tons of stuff, and they may do this well too, but I think the calipers are less likely to slip.

CRKDMike

Enlightened
Warranty service on EDC UltimateTM and EDC BasicTM flashlightsWe sold the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic product lines in May 2006 along with all of the tooling, spare parts and fixtures required to provide warranty repairs. We learned from our valued customers in 2007 that warranty service was no longer being provided for these products. We find this unacceptable. Effective immediately, we will provide warranty service for the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic flashlights. As we have no spare parts, tools or fixtures, we will replace flashlights we cannot fix with new flashlights. We will honor the light output and runtime specifications of the light exchanged. If your light must be exchanged and you would rather upgrade to one of our current models, we will provide you an $80 credit toward the purchase of any of our current models, including custom models.We want you to know that we value you as a customer. And we want you to know we are here for the long term. We appreciate your business and hope that when it's time for you to get a new flashlight, you will think of us.

This is great info, thanks! Where did you find this?

My EDC Ultimate has a bezel installed, so that retaining ring is long gone. However, the lens does not seem to just fall out. I tried coaxing it out too and that didn't work.

No worries, I am happy to hear about that warranty, as I would rather not risk buggaring up the light. I am a newb when it comes to modding or repairing flashlights.

Thanks for all the info people!

thermal guy

Flashaholic

This is great info, thanks! Where did you find this?

My EDC Ultimate has a bezel installed, so that retaining ring is long gone. However, the lens does not seem to just fall out. I tried coaxing it out too and that didn't work.

No worries, I am happy to hear about that warranty, as I would rather not risk buggaring up the light. I am a newb when it comes to modding or repairing flashlights.

Thanks for all the info people!

You have to tap it upside down on a piece of rubber to get it out.Or the reason it ain't coming out is why Henry put a half pound bezel on his new lights. They were notorious for bending and and lens breaking. That's why we all went with aftermarket bezels.

Latest posts