Powerbank charging phone catches fire on plane

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, from the video it is clearly the powerbank that's on fire, not the phone. Many powerbanks leave much to be desired regarding safety (e.g. lack of thermal monitoring) so one should be careful using them.

markr6

Flashaholic
7 people piled up on an inflatable slide...while the guy posting video from inside puts that tiny fire out with some water. Not like I would stick around with flames on an airplane, but come on people.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Any idea how many have been killed in a plane that did not crash, but merely burned? Too many.

There are quite a few Li-ion powered devices in the wild now... ordinarily and usually carried by all passengers and crew of every plane everywhere now always. We know that modern digital devices have software that is monitoring their Li cells, but just the sheer number of these Lithium-powered devices must tickle the statistical low failure rate of the cells. UPS Airlines Fight 6 was transporting 81,000 Li-ion cells, and possibly only one of them needed to fail to bring that plane down. I'm not sure anyone is sure how any planes have been downed by a failed Li-ion cell. Turning off digital devices for take off and landing (for other reasons) probably does nothing for preventing Li-ion cell failure. I guess we can be grateful Li cell failure rates are pretty darned low, impressively low.

markr6

Flashaholic
Any idea how many have been killed in a plane that did not crash, but merely burned? Too many.

I would hardly call this a burning plane. Or even the possibility of burning, as the guy who put it out with 1oz of water demonstrated. Maybe people thought it was a bomb. "Hey! You can't say bomb on a plane!"

lwknight

Enlightened
Reminds me of an old TV commercial.

Little kid: Mommy, an uggy buggy!
Mommy: Don't worry Dear, I'll get the Raid.

At my house
Me: Mommy an uggy buggy.
Mommy: Stomp on it stupid!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would hardly call this a burning plane. Or even the possibility of burning, as the guy who put it out with 1oz of water demonstrated. Maybe people thought it was a bomb. "Hey! You can't say bomb on a plane!"

As a society, we've been conditioned to panic at every possible threat. Don't think! Run, and scream!