Vintage Brinkmann Q-Beam

ericjohn

Enlightened
I had purchased a 2003 Buick Century from my Paw Paw earlier this week.

I needed a car and my grandparents weren't using theirs, so they sold it to me.

In the trunk was a vintage Brinkmann Q-Beam.

It is powered off the vehicle's 12 volt electrical system and plugs into the ciagrette lighter.

Prior to having the Buick Century, my grandparents had a 1992 Dodge Dynasty, which they kept the Q-Beam in that car as well.

Prior to the Dodge they had an Oldsmobile but I'm not sure if the Q-Beam was in that car also.

This light has a sealed beam instead of a Halorgen Quartz bulb and the power switch on there is very similar to the old school Streamlight SL-20 flashlights.

I am going to try it out the next time I am in the country, but I'm not even sure if it will power on. I don't want to try it out in the apartment complex where I live because I am afraid it will disturb the neighbors.

It is rated at 200,000 Candlepower.

I have no idea when it was made, but it is American-made and if I were to guess I would say early 1990s or before.

On an unrelated topic, there is a picture dated November 5, 1987, and it has me as an infant sitting on my Paw Paw's lap staring into his Eveready Commander 5122 Lantern. That is probably whay got me hooked on flashlights.

Back in 2016, I purchased a bundle of flashlights on eBay and two in the bundle were a Sears All Weather Floating Lantern and an Eveready 5122 Commander. The fact that these two flashlights are hard to find nowadays and were the two flashlights I was exposed to as an infant that caused me to have a lifelong fascination with flashlights and that they were bundled together is proof enough to me that there has to be a God, there is just no way a coincedence can happen like that by accident.

Anyway, today I purchased another Eveready Commander 5122 Lantern on eBay and will keep one in my car, as a further reminder of my Paw Paw and the other will be kept in a safe spot.

My Paw Paw actually gave me his Eveready Commander Lantern when I was 12, but the bulb socket had cracked, unfortunately shortly after.

If that lantern could talk, I'm sure it would speak of the box cars of raw sugar my Paw Paw unloaded at night or the times he was tending cattle or crops at night...