6P help.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Digging through my mother-in-laws kitchen drawer today revealed a Surefire 6P with no batteries and a non-functional tailcap. Tailcap is locked in position and won't click. Having zero Surefire experience and minimal incan experience I started messing around to see if the bulb was still good. A chunk of tin foil and a AA battery shoved in the tube and voila. It lives. So right now, I'm running it as a moon mode twisty. Can't be putting out more than a lumen. Kind of fun to play with and almost QTC-like with the head screwed off a bunch until the light isn't out, and then slowly tighten until it ramps up to a blazing orange lumen or so. What can a guy like me do with a light like this. I don't particularly like primaries and have never had a cr123 light. Open to suggestions. Rig it to be a beast AA twisty? Possible? Zerorez shorty? Get a lower voltage bulb? Uummmmm 2xaaa incan? M31w dropin? Use it to smash my E01 around while said E01 laughs at the tough Surrfire light and the asserts it's dominance by destroying it? No idea. Help me out.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say that the tail cap is not functional, do you mean that it does not provide contact? Or do you mean that the threads are locked in such a way that the tail cap cannot be removed? Or, rather, do you mean that the button does not latch for constant on?

If the latter, it's probably a Z41. They were designed so that constant on requires tightening the tail cap. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I wasn't sure based on your description.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't describe it well. It feels like the clicky has seized up. Frozen. Won't move at all. Haven't had a chance to look up how to disassemble it but I need to do that. Thanks Modern!

EDIT: I have it screwed down all the way tight right now.
When you say that the tail cap is not functional, do you mean that it does not provide contact? Or do you mean that the threads are locked in such a way that the tail cap cannot be removed? Or, rather, do you mean that the button does not latch for constant on?

If the latter, it's probably a Z41. They were designed so that constant on requires tightening the tail cap. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but I wasn't sure based on your description.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P doesn't have a clicky switch. The switch is designed to provide momentary on by pressing the button and constant on by tightening the tailcap.

If you loosen a the tailcap a half turn or so you should be able to press the button to get momentary on, but this uses tension from the battery springs so you need either 2xCR123 or a 16650 installed for it to work.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I found a 6P in my mother in law's kitchen, I'd explain to her that lithium batteries are potentially dangerous, toxic even, and that they are better left in the hands of professionals like me. With a reassuring tone of voice, I'd suggest that I would gladly remove this offending source of danger from her home and replace it with a safer alkaline powered alternative.

Once the device was safely inventoried in my lair, I'd drop in a Malkoff M61WLL and run it on 16650's. Then I'd post photos on the Malkoff Junkie thread.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. I'm pretty sure it's my brother in laws old light. Gonna ask him tomorrow. I gifted him a PD32 plus batteries and charger back in the day so im sure he won't mind me messing with it. Been in there for years. 16650 you say? Hhmmm. I've been on the eneloop wagon for years now. Didn't want the hassle of the li-ion batteries and charging. I do realize that I'm missing out on a lot of fun stuff by doing so though. Hhmmmm. QUOTE=Modernflame;5230559]If I found a 6P in my mother in law's kitchen, I'd explain to her that lithium batteries are potentially dangerous, toxic even, and that they are better left in the hands of professionals like me. With a reassuring tone of voice, I'd suggest that I would gladly remove this offending source of danger from her home and replace it with a safer alkaline powered alternative.

Once the device was safely inventoried in my lair, I'd drop in a Malkoff M61WLL and run it on 16650's. Then I'd post photos on the Malkoff Junkie thread.[/QUOTE]

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking it probably would not get used enough to justify buying a 16500 battery and charger. Maybe spring for a pair of CR123's and it can be somebody's reliable home backup light source. (And you will be able to confirm that it is a momentary switch)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah thanks Dan. Thought it was a clicky.
The 6P doesn't have a clicky switch. The switch is designed to provide momentary on by pressing the button and constant on by tightening the tailcap.

If you loosen a the tailcap a half turn or so you should be able to press the button to get momentary on, but this uses tension from the battery springs so you need either 2xCR123 or a 16650 installed for it to work.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're prob right sir knowing my track record. Funny you commented, because I was just comparing the tint to the orange photon freedom that I got my son. Your vids and comments prompted me to get him that photon. Well that and he likes orange.
Thinking it probably would not get used enough to justify buying a 16500 battery and charger. Maybe spring for a pair of CR123's and it can be somebody's reliable home backup light source. (And you will be able to confirm that it is a momentary switch)

ven

Flashaholic
Yes as Dan said, its just a momentary with a tighten up for permanent light UI. Its actually a pretty good UI, just works kind of UI. Swapping out the guts for a McClicky is super easy if desire, then you can click away.................all day:)

16650 will fit straight in, will under driver the 6v bulb a little but still looks plenty bright for general use. Of course there are near endless p60 options, flavours, modes(or lack of) which i have enjoyed for a few years now. In fact its the good ol surefires and p60 modules that has held my interest mainly. Whats not to love, pick your engine, swap around, customise with bezels and tail caps...............all fun!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
That Z41 tail cap has one of the most reliable switches in the storied history of switches. Since there are basically no moving parts, it consists only of brass contact points that twist down and contact the end of the battery tube. Breaking it would require power tools. Even then you'll need to pack a lunch.

Perhaps a combination of my suggestion (M61WLL) and Kitrobaskin's suggestion (CR123's) would make this the perfect emergency backup or the ultimate SHTF light.

ven

Flashaholic
Every hard as nails line up should have a 6p in there:poke:
SNGQ32Ul.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic
With CR123s and a lower power drop-in they make great lights to keep in your glove box in your car for emergencies or unexpecteds.. (I think I just invented a word!)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm leaning towards using the head and tailcap and swapping the z41 guts for a zerorez shorty, getting another m31w, and running it off of eneloops for a bombproof AA twisty. Starting the search for a fivemega 3p body which has been sold out for a while. Holler if you know where I can find one.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light has been returned to its rightful owner. He said I was welcome to keep it but I could tell he was dying to have it back lol. He said he'd give me another light for it so I'm now a proud owner (again) of a Fenix e12.