I'm retiring my EDC light after 5 years

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
I carried a FourSevens QTA everyday since the end of 2012. I have used Eneloop cells with good results. I dropped some cash at the Olight Elite sale and ended up falling for the M1T Raider. Its my first EDC CR123a light and I sure like the added output over my 5 year old QTA. I use CR123a cells in several other devices so they work for me. I also picked up a RCR123a for the light at the sale. I have since found out on this forum that the Olight RCR123a PN ORB-163P06 was a poor choice. Seems OK to me so far. I walk my dogs after dark and run the light on high and it has no problem lasting 30 on 40 minute walks. After 2 walks I charge the cell. It does drop from 500 to 300 lumens after about 5 minutes each time but its not a huge change and its still bright as hell IMO. If the cell goes bad in a year I will still be money ahead as CR123a's are not cheap. The 5 lumen mode is plenty of light up close. See run times below.

I did some digging and found out the specs on Olight's website are confusing as hell and there is no downloadable manual for the M1T. I must have read the info wrong or they changed the info online. I dug up the paper manual and this is what I understand to be correct. Using a CR123a the light runs on high 500 lumens for 5 minutes (seems about right) then will run drop to 300 lumens for 120 minutes so 125 minutes total. ? I was not paying attention, was just playing with the original CR123A so no clue. When using a RCR123a it runs 500 lumens for 5 minutes (again seems about right) then will run 300 lumens for 65 minutes for a total of 70 minutes. ? Low CR123A 5 lumens for 100 hours. Low RCR123A for 50 hours (Hard to test).

Update: I did 2 test cycles to check run time on high. Stared with a fully charged RCR123A. Ran the light on high for 30 minutes. Let the light rest for 30 minutes. Ran the light again for 30 minutes/rest 30 minutes. On the third run it ran for 11 minutes and was cut off by the protection circuit in the cell. Cell read zero voltage after rest. Popping it in my Olight magnetic universal charger (just got it, testing) did not reset the protection circuit, flashing red charge LED. I reversed the leads and the LED went solid red aka protection reset. I immediately removed the cell from the charger, let it rest for 5 minutes then tested the voltage. The voltage measured 3.21 volts so cutoff was 3.21 volts. I then charged the cell (charge cut off at 4.21v) and ran the test again with basically the same results. 30 minutes on high/rest 30 minutes repeat. On the third run the battery went into protection after 14 minutes. Once reset the voltage was once again 3.21 volts. So in conclusion the claimed 70 minute run time on high sounds about right. I really love the TIR lens, the wide hot spot and great spill make it a great EDC light. I also really like the tail cap switch. Its not flush so no tail standing but the feel is just right. Not too hard and not too soft and it has momentary. The only missing feature IMO is strobe and I never needed it before so no big deal. Some might not like that the light defaults to high mode as it could play with your night vision. I run in high mode most of the time so it works for me. RIP QTA you were and still are a solid piece of hardware.

Update 8/26/18: I discovered two things I did not know. The US version has a crenelated bezel and starts on high. All other countries have a smooth bezel and start on low. I live in the US BTW. I'd like to find a non US version just for fun.

chpzck8.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here here!!!

Glad you found a replacement you like.

Strobe is over rated. Now a "flash" mode is handy when trying to grab attention like at a wreck on a dark road or that sort of thing.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for this light since April 2017 when my last surefire, a little back up, stopped working. Carried a few different lights, mostly a protac 2L-X.

Ive used that RCR123 in my other lights and it's always done great for me. I'm going to expand on batteries in this light a little. The supplied primary cell lasts 40-45 minutes when you run the light 3-10 minutes at a time. It might last longer like the specs say if you turn it on and leave it on but a primary just don't cut it when it's mostly run at the full lumens. That to be avoided at all costs Olight RCR123 lasts just as long or longer when used the same way. For such a horrible cell it works perfect.

The light beam is so useable and covers so much ground in front of you it will quickly replace just about anything in your pocket. If I need to see at longer distance then I will do like I did before and grab the MT40GT of HL-X, but you won't catch me carrying either. The switch is the best tail switch I've ever experienced. The light is just unreal, it has to be experienced to realize it. There are lights that cost 5-10x as much you won't find me considering no matter how popular or great the internet says they are. Few lights at any price point will surpass the M1T for what I define as a every night used a lot every night and carried all day and night light. Had mine less than 24 hours and it gave me two assists on raiding raccoons. The wide beam will catch them if your ears tell you it's in a different location without searching for them.

When anyone else considers one, get the Olight RCR123 with it. In actual real world use it lasts longer than a primary.. the cells have performed flawlessly for me in other lights. The negative reports I've read all sound like they are only charging it to 3.7 volts and smashing the accelerator and running turbo wide open and expecting 4.2 volt performance. Has to be, it's the only way I could get similar performance.

Anyway, if any of y'all have doubts on this light, they'll end the first time you use it. It's primary purpose for me is a mandatory must have companion to carrying a pistol. I've yet to see anything be better for that purpose.

Last edited:

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if I missed it, but why are you retiring the Quark?
I guess the main reason is I love my QTA and want it to last forever. If I keep using it for EDC it will fail at some point. Secondary reason is the M1T Raider beam pattern is so bad *** I can't keep my hands off it.

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I guess the main reason is I love my QTA and want it to last forever. If I keep using it for EDC it will fail at some point.
I'm a huge Quark fan as well.

Secondary reason is the M1T Raider beam pattern is so bad *** I can't keep my hands off it.

How well does the clip stay on? I have never had luck with lights whose clips are held on through pressure.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
The clip is on mine so tight that it will break before it pops off. They hit a grand slam when they made this light.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Question for you. Since my original post has gotten so long and winded I tried to break it into paragraphs . As soon as I save the changes it's one big paragraph again?

Last edited:

specv510

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and just getting into lights. I'm also turning into an Olight collector like you. I've only ever had cheap lights in the past, but last year I bought a Nitecore (forget the model) and an Olight S1. The Nitecore was ok, but I really fell in love with the Olight. A few months later I bought an R50 and love it too. In the last month I bought an S1R Turbo, X7R and M3XS. I think they're great lights and want to get more. I think you've convinced me I "need" an M1T!

I'm new here and just getting into lights. I'm also turning into an Olight collector like you. I've only ever had cheap lights in the past, but last year I bought a Nitecore (forget the model) and an Olight S1. The Nitecore was ok, but I really fell in love with the Olight. A few months later I bought an R50 and love it too. In the last month I bought an S1R Turbo, X7R and M3XS. I think they're great lights and want to get more. I think you've convinced me I "need" an M1T!

My mom, in her early 80's, often comments about my flashlights, "It's not always about what we need. Sometimes it's OK to be about what we want."

All things in moderation, including moderation.

A few others. -
ckYpy5G.jpg

~ Chance