Increasing Jetbeam Jet II MK Output

Mietjelan

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody, I have a Jetbeam Jet II MK which I have done a couple of mods to, magnet where the hole with the thread was, GITD plastic around the LED and on the back.

Now I would like to know how I can easily improve the output, the standard output is max 510 Lumens using a XP-L HI, but I found on Cree's site that the maximum output is 1095 Lumens, I don't know if this is correct.

Could I boost the output and how? It doesn't have to be the full 1095.

Thanks in advance

Mietjelan

Newly Enlightened
Here are some pictures.
9335ad6279eadf070534b54d2d77dbee.jpg
13d32b0b2e82f953c9873378c3a9e97e.jpg
8e77cfa8888d55f0c5b557c8e5abefb9.jpg

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several issues with trying to get huge amounts of light out of such a small body. To get 1000 lm out of an XPL takes around 10W of input power to the LED. Given imperfect driver efficiency, we're probably talking around 11W from the battery.

1. This is very taxing on the battery. Certainly there are 16340 sized cells that can do this, but you will have reduced runtime and lifetime.

2. 1000 lm is around 4W of light energy, not all of which makes it out of the light. Say 75% (3W) makes it out of the light (this is optimistic). That means that of the 11W you draw from the battery, only 3 leave the device as light. The remainder, around 8W, is converted to heat. In such a small body, this will lead to temperatures rising rapidly and if run long enough, reaching quite high levels.

3. It is a challenge to build a driver to fit such a small body and deliver this level of performance, while still being reliable.

I say all this not to tell you that what you want can't be done. I say it to start a discussion about what it would take, and what sacrifices you would have to make to achieve it.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everybody, I have a Jetbeam Jet II MK which I have done a couple of mods to, magnet where the hole with the thread was, GITD plastic around the LED and on the back.

Now I would like to know how I can easily improve the output, the standard output is max 510 Lumens using a XP-L HI, but I found on Cree's site that the maximum output is 1095 Lumens, I don't know if this is correct.

Could I boost the output and how? It doesn't have to be the full 1095.

Thanks in advance

I'd like to hear what battery you installed into the tripod mount area, and how you did it. That area has internal threads, but I can't imagine using a die to cut threads onto the external wall of a rare earth magnet. So, did you drill out the internal threads and glue the magnet in there?

Mietjelan

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to hear what battery you installed into the tripod mount area, and how you did it. That area has internal threads, but I can't imagine using a die to cut threads onto the external wall of a rare earth magnet. So, did you drill out the internal threads and glue the magnet in there?
Yup, i drilled out the threads untill the magnet fit perfectly and then gleud it inside.

Mietjelan

Newly Enlightened
Here are some new pictures. I used gitd powder, resin for the top and superglue for the sides.
7d5a7336a199a295b228767b8e612012.jpg
f1ad2560673617d1b7ad0c570c37f909.jpg