HDS Systems question

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Am I correct that HDS only has a few lights and that their brightest light is 325 lumens, or am I missing something? Thanks, I am looking to buy the highest quality lights now, but wanted more lumens. Thanks!

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's correct. Maybe you can sign up for the HDS pass around to try the light without having to buy it.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It actually depends on what you want the light for. Yes the 325 is "brighter" in output BUT the 250 is the preferred HDS light for a good balance between throw and brightness. The 250 uses a smaller led than the 325 and is more effective longer range. The 325 has a much wider hotspot but doesn't throw as far.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Thanks, I will look at the pass around. I might look at Malkoff and Zebralight also.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll be surprised how effective 200-300Lm lights are. In a funny way you can see a bit more as you don't have the splashback from the brighter lights contracting your pupils.
I was very sceptical until I used a 170N HDS, now I'm hooked.
I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the shorter days so I can use my big lights again, but for most of my uses these smaller ones never disappoint.
P

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My hds 140 throws nearly as well as my malkoff M61 with over 400 lumens.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The others have answered well. I would only add that HDS calibrates every flashlight for the rated output, whereas most other manufacturers publish output based on an average. My 200 lumen HDS lights look brighter to me than 300 lumens from other brands and, in many cases, seem to be on par with 400 offerings from other makers.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hang in there creexhp70, the HDS line will probably be 500 lumens next year. Then everyone will say it's just like having 700 lumens. Would that do it for you ?
What makes my HDS rotary tactical 325 one of my favorite lights is the interface. It also has a nice quality beam.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I correct that HDS only has a few lights and that their brightest light is 325 lumens, or am I missing something? Thanks, I am looking to buy the highest quality lights now, but wanted more lumens. Thanks!
Once you purchase and program a HDS light, all of your other EDC lights will move to the back of the drawer and never be used again. I thought lumens was important when I first started purchasing led lights. 325 is max lumens, High Color Rendering Index (CRI) lights are calibrated for 200 lumens.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you're missing something.

Henry knows the value of night vision and that actually, the best way to see in the dark is usually with the dimmest modes. His lights, more than any other I've seen, are uniquely designed for that with 2/3rds of 24 programmable outputs being single digit, or fractions, of a lumen - I bought one specifically for its low lumen capabilities. Also, if your eyes are deeply dark adapted, then when you do need to see bright/far, 200-300 lumens will feel like a 1k+.

"Luke..... use your night vision"

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
2/3rds of 24 programmable outputs being single digit, or fractions, of a lumen - I bought one specifically for its low lumen capabilities.
I agree.
HDS has
10 separate lumen levels that are all below 1 lumen, then it has
6 more levels that are up to 10 lumens, then
5 more levels up to 100 lumens. The last
3 levels are above 100 lumens with a 250 lumen max.

There is not a lot of need for more than 100 lumens in a cave, where many hours of runtime at sub 10 lumen levels, is all that is needed, to survive.

Different kinds of lights meet different usage scenarios. I know Hogokansatsukan has an Olight S Mini in his pocket, I think Henry might also.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...stems-EDC-19&p=5095763&viewfull=1#post5095763
Hogokansastukan said:
The problem with chasing lumens or throw, is that the HDS really isn't designed for either. Going back to the roots of HDS, it's a caving light. It's built to be dropped hard, abused, sloshed through mud, and keep working. The true heart of the the HDS is ruggedness, reliability, customization of light output, and efficiency.
I have an Olight R50 Pro if I need a ton of lumens. If I need to reach out, I have a 4 Sevens Maelstrom (haven't really updated my throw light for awhile). My mini pocket light rolling around with my change and keys in the bottom of my pocket is an Olight Ti Mini S. Favorite headlamp is the Armytech Wizard which I use daily doing leatherwork. All these lights have their niche...

Points of interest, comparing modes on the Olight S1 Mini 600, to the HDS Clicky 250
HDS 250, has 4 factory brightness presets, they are
0.03, 9, 48, 250 lumens

Olight S1 Mini 600 presets are
0.5, 15, 60, 300, 600 lumens

In addition both lights have a strobe and a shutoff timer option.

These similarities between Olight and HDS makes the Olight a good candidate as a backup and spare battery carrier for an HDS. Also, the Olight weighs less than 1/2 as much, is about 1/2 the size, and costs about 1/4 the price of the HDS.

Get Both, like Hogo did, because like he said, they have different use niches...

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
random observation
Olight S Mini are meant to have the battery inserted with the positive post pointing at the tailcap, like in an HDS...

I catch your drift, but I don't understand this bit about the positive battery terminal. The positive end of the battery points toward the bezel of an HDS, like most other flashlights. Or did I misunderstand your meaning?

ven

Flashaholic
I catch your drift, but I don't understand this bit about the positive battery terminal. The positive end of the battery points toward the bezel of an HDS, like most other flashlights. Or did I misunderstand your meaning?

The olight h2r is the same, the cell goes in backwards, so neg towards head. Its to do with the USB charging olight use via the tail cap. The "special" cell so to speak has the positive per normal, but then a negative terminal(ring) around it. So + and - are at the button top end(of course the other end is still the negative as well being the case). HDS cell wise, positive goes towards the head as you state mr flame.

ven

Flashaholic

If quality, tank, fantastic UI, life time warranty are up top on the want list, then HDS should be there to. Fantastic, yet to feel the need for more than the 200lm i have available. The reflector(variable dependent on LED choice you go for, so general comment) puts out a nice balanced beam of hot spot and spill.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank You!
I misunderstood this part of the HDS Manual:
"Insert the new battery into the battery compartment with the positive terminal out."

I will edit my post.. Im grateful that you took the time to read it and correct my mistake.

the Olight battery goes into the battery tube with the positive terminal out also, like HDS, but in HDS the battery tube is separated from the head, while in the Olight the battery tube is separated from the tail.

So yes, I was confused, in HDS the positive pole points at the head, the Olight positive points at the tailcap. Both HDS and Olight work with normal CR123 and 16340 batteries.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS manual is very easy to misunderstand, at least for me. I've said as much elsewhere. Just so you can get a visual:

IMG-1137.jpg

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
a visual:

IMG-1137.jpg

Thanks! Im a Visual Learner, very helpful.

other lights with positive post showing at end of battery tube
Olight after removing tailcap on left, RRT-01(stepless rotary) after removing head (like HDS), on right
29062568827_c6f2004c79_h.jpg

I am looking to buy the highest quality lights now, but wanted more lumens. Thanks!

both of those have 600 lumen maximums. The HDS is bigger and heavier than either one, in fact the HDS weighs as much as both of these together, including batteries. Price wise you can buy 6 Olights for the price of 1 HDS. So comparing prices and lumens may not be the most influential factors to consider in all cases.

Give some thought to your Low Lumen priorities, HDS is very very well versed in that area, and to what battery sizes you want to use for different needs. I note you have an Olight with FOUR 18650 cells, but I dont think it fits in a pocket like an HDS or S1 Mini does :)..

choices are good..
enjoy shopping.. there is no one perfect light.. buy different designs for different intended appliations.
43999988931_bdd4cd3531_h.jpg

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sign up for the pass around and get your hands on one for a week and see if it is for you. The pass around light is 200 lumens, but you will get to see what an actual 200 lumens is...