USB Type-C Charging & 4800mAh INR21700 built-in battery

Pre-order yours today and save 15% with coupon code CPF15OFF

20180809161109_70726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mhpreston

Enlightened
I've got five nitecore products and like them. This looks really interesting, but I see that turbo mode (10K Lumens) lasts for seven seconds. What's the feeling out there about that?

markr6

Flashaholic
but I see that turbo mode (10K Lumens) lasts for seven seconds. What's the feeling out there about that?

Obviously a "fun" mode and marketing trick, as so evidently displayed in the name and with BIG TYPE!! on the side of the light itself. But at least you can still make it practical with high mode customized to 400-2000lm.

Parasitic drain, as usual, is my concern.

And I would like to see a scaled-down version with 2000lm max, which should be fine with a REPLACEABLE 21700 cell.

ven

Flashaholic
I kind of like the design although it would suit anything i would use for. I hate being negative, really do, but what is the 10,000 LUMENS!!!!! On the side .............even if i wanted it, that would put me off. Maybe aimed at the younger flashlight enthusiast...........

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I've got five nitecore products and like them. This looks really interesting, but I see that turbo mode (10K Lumens) lasts for seven seconds. What's the feeling out there about that?

What would anyone need more than 7 seconds of 10K lumens for? Maybe NiteCore measured the average time it takes 10K lumens to blind the user, after which no amount of light will help, so may as well save the cell capacity. (The goggles, btw, do nothing). Love the lack of crenellations... so few manufacturers have discovered a method for this amazing feat, what was once thought impossible. The display and information provided is a very nice touch. I can only assume that the electronics properly cares for and conditions the built-in cell, removing all responsibility of Li-ion safety and best practices from the user's worried mind. This then becomes giftable to the non-flashaholic Li-ion uninitiated with no concern for their safety. I hope there will be a cell replacement program for this model, unless the price is so low it is effectively disposable/recycleable. This is certainly innovative.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
One avenue of interesting discussion would be to look at replaceable versus non replaceable battery. The former is convenient, but Nitecore states that it is better to have the battery permanently connected to reduce electrical resistance. Further discussion?

night.hoodie

Enlightened
One avenue of interesting discussion would be to look at replaceable versus non replaceable battery. The former is convenient, but Nitecore states that it is better to have the battery permanently connected to reduce electrical resistance. Further discussion?

The slide in the first post "The Irreplaceable Battery" pretty much covers NiteCore's reasons: high current oxidizes the contacts significantly increasing the resistance and reducing performance. Certainly, an irreplaceable battery is not ideal for the flashlight hobbyist, but the hobbyist is in a tiny minority compared to the entire population of flashlight customers. I suggested that the permanent cell along with the smart electronics removes the burden to the user of using Li-ion cells, the best practice of which is always proactively having a mind towards the cell's SOC, allowing for use by non-flashaholics that know little to nothing about proper care of a Li-ion cell.

SKV89

Enlightened
This is a very impressive and innovative product. Can't wait to see reviews.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yea, "normal" people like to simply plug things in and let them charge. But with the (assumed and likely) pricetag on this thing, will "normal" people be the ones buying this?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, "normal" people like to simply plug things in and let them charge. But with the (assumed and likely) pricetag on this thing, will "normal" people be the ones buying this?

Very true. At least there won't be leaking alkaline batteries to ruin the light if Joe Public buys it.

markr6

Flashaholic
$299 based on the only seller that I can find so far (etorchshop). Sounds about right.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
A user non replaceable battery means thanks but no thanks.
There are lots of lights that use a pin in socket design that are higher amperage draw. They don't have an issue with oxidation of the connectors.

Two years ago, 21700 batteries were almost exclusively used by Tesla. Technology changes, and a two year old $300 light with a battery that won't charge is an expensive paper weight.