Barndog14

Newly Enlightened
I Bought 20
•TORCHSTAR HL GU10H-D-6W27
•LED GU10 6W 2700K CRI>90
•120V 60Hz 50mA 360 Lumens
They came bundled with a recessed can:
•TYPE IC Model:624
After installing them I noticed that whenever I adjust the speed of the ceiling fan (that is on the same circuit but not using the same switch & I don't have any lights wired to the fan directly)these LEDs would turn off for about one second then turn back on.
I've done numerous tests in an attempt to diagnose what is the cause of this.
•I bypassed the wall switch for these lights, while directly wired they still cut out & on
•I have tried 3 other GU10 bulbs exactly the same as these Torchstar but different manufacturers, none of these other manufacturers bulbs cut out.
•I have 2 of these Torchstar LEDs in my hallway on a different circuit. When I disconnect the Torchstar Bulbs that are on the same circuit as the fan, then adjust the fan speed, the 2 in the hall cut out. ???
What is going on here? What possibly could be causing these bulbs to do this?

Barndog14

Newly Enlightened
I Bought 20
•TORCHSTAR HL GU10H-D-6W27
•LED GU10 6W 2700K CRI>90
•120V 60Hz 50mA 360 Lumens
They came bundled with a recessed can:
•TYPE IC Model:624
After installing them I noticed that whenever I adjust the speed of the ceiling fan (that is on the same circuit but not using the same switch & I don't have any lights wired to the fan directly)these LEDs would turn off for about one second then turn back on.
I've done numerous tests in an attempt to diagnose what is the cause of this.
•I bypassed the wall switch for these lights, while directly wired they still cut out & on
•I have tried 3 other GU10 bulbs exactly the same as these Torchstar but different manufacturers, none of these other manufacturers bulbs cut out.
•I have 2 of these Torchstar LEDs in my hallway on a different circuit. When I disconnect the Torchstar Bulbs that are on the same circuit as the fan, then adjust the fan speed, the 2 in the hall cut out. ???
What is going on here? What possibly could be causing these bulbs to do this?

I reached out to Torchstar customer support & of course they said "must be your wiring in your wall."
the problem I have with that, how do the 3 other Manufacturer's band LEDs work flawlessly?:confused::ironic:

markr6

Flashaholic
Just some kind of interference I guess. I have a weird situation at work with a desk fan and computer plugged into the same power strip. When I turn the fan on or off, the phone, which is connected to the computer by ethernet cable, loses connection with the server for a few seconds. Pretty weird. Or if I turn the fan back on or off quickly, it will also disconnect/reconnect.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this a fan that changes speed by multiple pulls on the chain? Or is is on a dimmer type control?

Either way, when you change the speed there are transients created in the switching action. These are high frequency, very short, and very high voltage. They can travel through the wiring and sometimes even through the air from one wire to another. The Torchstar lights react to these by shutting off and restarting. This is indicative of a bad or cheap (or both) design. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that other things in the house cause this too. Refrigerators, air conditioners, and other devices can also cause these transients.

The other lights are either immune to or are protected from the transients better than the Torchstars.

It is possible to keep these transients from getting back into the wiring, but most products are designed to accept the fact that they will exist, and are not bothered by them.

Barndog14

Newly Enlightened
Is this a fan that changes speed by multiple pulls on the chain? Or is is on a dimmer type control?

Either way, when you change the speed there are transients created in the switching action. These are high frequency, very short, and very high voltage. They can travel through the wiring and sometimes even through the air from one wire to another. The Torchstar lights react to these by shutting off and restarting. This is indicative of a bad or cheap (or both) design. I wouldn't be surprised if you find that other things in the house cause this too. Refrigerators, air conditioners, and other devices can also cause these transients.

The other lights are either immune to or are protected from the transients better than the Torchstars.

It is possible to keep these transients from getting back into the wiring, but most products are designed to accept the fact that they will exist, and are not bothered by them.

Finally some one that knows what's up!!
One fan has pull chain & a slider. One fan is only on slider.
You mentioned "It is possible to keep these transients from getting back into the wiring"
Could you elaborate on how to do this? I was wondering if I couldn't wire in some resisters? I did that with an LED chandelier where the bulbs wouldn't turn off all the way. I use one 10k ohm 2% 1/4w works like a charm. Curious what you think?