Sick Of Cheapy eBay AAA Lasers That Don't Work

JohnnyGalaga

Newly Enlightened
What is the deal with these? The problem is, they work fine about 2/3rds of the time when you hit the button. But intermittently, there's a lot of times when you hit the button and nothing. It doesn't light up. But then if you fiddle with it a little bit, you can get it to work. Why? Shouldn't it always just work? These are the kinds I'm talking about in the photo. I've bought this design/type a few times and they always have the same intermittent problem. So what's a more reliable brand that will actually work every time you hit the button? I want the maximum brightness.

30102145738_9267fc6017_o.jpg

night.hoodie

Enlightened
So what's a more reliable brand that will actually work every time you hit the button? I want the maximum brightness.

I had lasers like those you mention, and they were fun while they lasted, which is not long. But they are cheap and the design is annoyingly bad.

I'd like to get one of these, but having never used one, can't attest to its durability or reliability. I'm not even sure these are legal to buy, though the domestic US restriction on lasers is towards the output (5mW I think) of "laser pointers," not precisely all lasers. This is a "pocket laser" not a "laser pointer," so the power restriction should not apply... But what would matter in regard to whether I can order from within the US is how the seller interprets the restriction, or whatever agency enforces the restriction.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a "pocket laser" not a "laser pointer," so the power restriction should not apply
It's a laser pointer, the site says so:
Pocket Series - Smallest handheld Laser pointer in the world
and later down the page
The world's smallest laser pointer

They are definitely promoting it as a laser pointer, but at 800mw it is a Class IIIb laser and needs a key switch and connector for a remote interlock.

Also, if it's a green laser it may also emit damaging (to the eye) levels of IR, but perhaps at $90.00 they gave it a decent IR filter.

night.hoodie

Enlightened

and later down the page

They are definitely promoting it as a laser pointer, but at 800mw it is a Class IIIb laser and needs a key switch and connector for a remote interlock.

Also, if it's a green laser it may also emit damaging (to the eye) levels of IR, but perhaps at $90.00 they gave it a decent IR filter.

Thx for posting link. The Sanwu pocket host is very nice, been lusting for it for some time. After rewatching their video, and considering their power options, that amount of laser power is way overboard for me. All their product I see is for knowledgeable laser hobbyists. I don't want a laser that will burn, just one that can be seen, without safety glasses recommended. Someday I'll contact them to see of they can provide a 5mW laser in that host, or ask if on lower voltage AAA cell if it can operate with far lower power, unlikely as it is.

The laser I once carried was of the same basic design as those in OP's image, but a short 1xAAA version of that without a clip in green. It was a copper tube with deteriorating black gunk on it, no idea what that could be, fake ano? While it lasted, I really enjoyed it, miss having a laser. It started to fall apart, seriously, almost immediately. I somehow got it to limp along for almost 6 months before it was just junk, would not work. It was very cheap, and though as sold as 5mW, I strongly suspect it was up almost twice as that over spec on a fresh AAA. I never liked the cheap momentary side button, would prefer a stouter momentary tail button (I think Sanwu's pocket host now has has a tail clicky, idk which direction).

The decent, sturdy laser pointers I have seen, for professionals for presentation, look like nice pens, also priced like those super-nice pens. But at least they are legal and presumably safe. They're too long and heavy for my purpose.

I'm probably going to buy the exact same 1xAAA green laser that fell apart, was $12 I think. I do not expect a different experience.

markr6

Flashaholic
Get one of the "301" green lasers running on 18650. At $10-15 it's worth a chance. You'll get a great laser, a bubble envelope full of crushed parts, or something in between.

etudiant

Newly Enlightened
Fwiw, the Sanwu laser pointers are $12 on their web site. They are shipped direct from China. They need an 18650 battery, which will set you back another $40 by the time you get a decent charger.
It is absurdly too powerful, the actual output was measured at 85 milliwatts by another forum participant who has the needed equipment. While way less than the 1000 milliwatts listed on the unit, that is far too much to be eye safe. Appropriately, it comes with a key lock and a diffuser cap. It is very soundly built, with a good switch.
This pointer works well during the day, if used carefully to direct the observers attention. It is not safe to use indoors imho.

wizardg

Newly Enlightened

and later down the page

That 800mW unit is not DPSS so ....no IR.