Review: AceBeam T36 (Tactical, 1x21700, USB-C rechargeable)

Budda

Enlightened
I received the AceBeam T36 from AceBeam for review purposes.
The T36 is a tactical handheld flashlight, powered by a 21700 li ion battery that runs a XHP35 HI emitter. It is available both in CW and NW, I got the first version.

The T36 comes in this nice box
AceBeam_T36_01.jpg

AceBeam_T36_03.jpg

AceBeam_T36_02.jpg

The content of the box: T36, manual, warranty card, USB-C cable, 21700 Battery, 18650 battery adapter, sheath.
AceBeam_T36_04.jpg

The T36 (with the AceBeam 21700 5100mAh inside), with the sheath and the 18650 battery adapter.
AceBeam_T36_05.jpg

AceBeam_T36_06.jpg

AceBeam_T36_07.jpg

It even has all a stick on the glass to protect it from scratches and dust
AceBeam_T36_08.jpg

The tailcap has a protruding mechanical switch, and a cigar grip ring.
AceBeam_T36_09.jpg

The inside of the body: double tube construction for getting signal to the 2 switches.
AceBeam_T36_17.jpg

Anodised triangular cut threads for physical lockout.
AceBeam_T36_18.jpg

Inside construction of the tailcap.
AceBeam_T36_09.jpg

At the head you have on one side the electronic single stage switch and a LED indicator,
AceBeam_T36_10.jpg

On the other side the rubber cover for the USB-C port that is used for charging the battery
AceBeam_T36_11.jpg

AceBeam_T36_12.jpg

The stiking bezel on top of the head can be removed and reversed.
AceBeam_T36_13.jpg

AceBeam_T36_14.jpg

AceBeam_T36_15.jpg

The T36 with the 21700. Note that the AceBeam battery is protected and hasn't any proprietary feature.
AceBeam_T36_06.jpg

The cordura sheath
AceBeam_T36_20.jpg

AceBeam_T36_21.jpg

AceBeam_T36_22.jpg

In the hand
AceBeam_T36_27.jpg

AceBeam_T36_25.jpg

AceBeam_T36_23.jpg

AceBeam_T36_24.jpg

note that only the tailcap can be removed from the light and the positive contact point at the head is a spring and flat top cells can be used.
Also, if you use an 18650 battery in the light, it will be too short and will not power the light reliably (if you hit the light it will turn off). Using the 18650 adapter (that works with flat top cells too) allows the light to work reliably and without any rattling sound.

UI
The idea of the double switch of the T36 is the following: you use your tactical tailcap for turning the light on and off at turbo, and the electronic at the head for all the other modes.
So, the tailcap switch is a mechanical forward switch that allows for momentary on, and it turns the light on and off at turbo mode.
The electronic switch at the head turns the light on and off at the last used mode.
If you keep it pressed, you can scroll through the modes: low, medium, high, in loop.
If you keep it pressed, it will turn on at firefly mode. Double click it for turbo. Triple click it for strobe.

The integration of the two switches works well: if you have the light already on by using the electronic switch, and you click the tactical switch, the light will go to turbo mode.
When the light is on at turbo mode with the tactical switch, it will not response to the use of the head switch.
The LED indicator over the switch turns red when the battery is charging and green when is charged.

Output and runtime
Tested with the provided 21700 AceBeam battery and an unprotected LG MJ1 18650 battery.
AceBeam_T36_28.jpg

AceBeam told me that the T36 has a thermal sensor, so I tested the turbo mode with a fan close to the light.
AceBeam_T36_29.png

AceBeam_T36_30.png

AceBeam_T36_31.png

AceBeam_T36_32.png

AceBeam_T36_33.png

Beamshots at half meter from wall.
AceBeam_T36_34.jpg

AceBeam_T36_35.jpg

AceBeam_T36_36.jpg

AceBeam_T36_37.jpg

AceBeam_T36_38.jpg

AceBeam_T36_39.jpg

Thermal tests of the T36

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
I like the Idea of the interface with direct access to lowest, highest and last used mode.
The 21700 battery offers plenty of capacity and handles well the current request at turbo mode.
I like the provided 18650 adapter that allows you to use 18650 cells, although you should use only IMR batteries to get best performances at turbo.
I also like the fact that the T36 doesn't have any proprietary feature, the charging is with a not proprietary cable and can charge any battery.

One issue I noted, is that when the light becomes hot at high or turbo mode, the USB-C battery cover pops out.
The thermal sensor doesn't seem to help significantly the runtime pre-stepdown in situation of cooling.
Thanks to: Antoled for the camera help and thermal camera and luxmeter.

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review! How strong is the pocket clip, does it secure the light in pocket? I ask because my EagTac T25LR doesn't grip as well as other lights and can slide out if I'm not careful. Also, do you know when the 5000K version will be released?

Budda

Enlightened
Excellent review! How strong is the pocket clip, does it secure the light in pocket? I ask because my EagTac T25LR doesn't grip as well as other lights and can slide out if I'm not careful. Also, do you know when the 5000K version will be released?

the pocket clip is very strong, both in retention against the body and in pressure on the clip itself.
No, I don't know.