Can 2S2P be stacked to produce same Voltage but longer run times?

klrman

Newly Enlightened
If you have a 2S2P configuration with four batteries in one battery cage, can another battery cage be added to allow for longer run times without increasing voltage or does the voltage double when another 4 batteries are added?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on how they are connected. If you just stack the second set on top of the first you will have a serial connection, making a 4S2P setup, which means the voltage will double but the capacity will remain the same. If the two sets are connected side by side you are basically making a 2S4P setup, where the voltage remains the same but the capacity doubles.
Since in most cases a driver is not designed to handle a doubled input voltage, connecting the two battery cages in parallel would be the way to go. That would make for some interesting design challenges in creating the appropriate container.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
So that's how it works, I get it now thanks! 4S = 4 batteries stacked on top of each other in series and 2P = both of the series in parallel. Now I need to email the manufacturer and see if the driver can handle 4S2P but I am pretty sure it can't so my idea of a long tube for two battery cages will not work.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a 2S2P configuration with four batteries in one battery cage, can another battery cage be added to allow for longer run times without increasing?
If second battery cage and first battery cage connected with each other in parallel, final battery voltage will remain same and capacity will be doubled.
Just make sure all 8 batteries must be in same age, same capacity and all healthy.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
If second battery cage and first battery cage connected with each other in parallel, final battery voltage will remain same and capacity will be doubled.
Just make sure all 8 batteries must be in same age, same capacity and all healthy.

Can't really do both cages parallel with my idea of a long battery tube, so they would need to be stacked. The only option left I think is to have a new driver that can handle both 2S2P and 4S2P.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't really do both cages parallel with my idea of a long battery tube, so they would need to be stacked. The only option left I think is to have a new driver that can handle both 2S2P and 4S2P.
If it's possible to convert original battery holder to 4P each, then two of these stacked will work too.

klrman

Newly Enlightened
Now that sounds like a good idea! Not sure how to convert the battery holder but there must be a way to do it.