Fenix CL23 LED Camping Lantern--Powered by Standard Alkaline Batteries

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Fenix CL23 LED Camping Lantern--Powered by Standard Alkaline Batteries

Perfect for your auto, bug-out bag, or...well, about anywhere.
This baby is a "baby"!

2.17 in./55mm Length x 2.17 in./55mm Width x 3.35 in./85mm Height

ORDER HERE!

Points_zps8syqank9.jpg

cl23.jpg

• [*=left]Outputs:

• [*=left]High - 300 Lumens/7.5 hours
      [*=left]Med - 150 Lumens/13 hours
      [*=left]Low - 40 Lumens/ 45 hours
      [*=left](Down 1) - 2 Lumens/350 hours
      [*=left](Down 2) - 25 Lumens/80 hours
      [*=left]Red Light - 1 Lumen/150 hours
      [*=left]Red Flash - 1 Lumen/300 hours

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a perfect addition to your already "best of class" lantern lineup.

And some great pics, but none that show the size and scale of it.

Any chance for a pic in hand?

parametrek

Enlightened
Yuck alkalines :(

I was very excited about this lantern and the design is great but the runtime numbers for this light are not believable. The chart shows large and aggressive stepdowns for the 300 lumen and 150 lumen modes. Stepdowns in lanterns don't make sense most of the time.

The 40 lumen and 20 lumen modes do not show a stepdown but.... If you take the runtime claims at face value (40 lumens for 45 hours, 25 lumens for 80 hours) then the LEDs are operating at 200 lumens per watt overall efficacy. This is impossible.

The lowest moon mode appears to not use stepdowns. 2 lumens for 350 hours works out to 80 lumens per watt.

It is extremely disappointing to think that Fenix made a light where 4 out of the 5 modes have stepdowns. I hope either there is a typo in the spec sheet or my math was flawed.

PartyPete

Enlightened
To me this looks like a nice back up type lantern, more geared toward low light and and battery conservation. It can produce decent lumens, however with this design it's definitely geared towards brief bursts and back to a low output versus long run times on higher modes, which undoubtedly is better suited for 18650.

Being able to run on 1, 2 or 3 cells is a nice emergency feature as well.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
We have sent your comments to the Fenix engineer. We are waiting for a response. We will keep you updated.

I was very excited about this lantern and the design is great but the runtime numbers for this light are not believable. The chart shows large and aggressive stepdowns for the 300 lumen and 150 lumen modes. Stepdowns in lanterns don't make sense most of the time.

The 40 lumen and 20 lumen modes do not show a stepdown but.... If you take the runtime claims at face value (40 lumens for 45 hours, 25 lumens for 80 hours) then the LEDs are operating at 200 lumens per watt overall efficacy. This is impossible.

The lowest moon mode appears to not use stepdowns. 2 lumens for 350 hours works out to 80 lumens per watt.

It is extremely disappointing to think that Fenix made a light where 4 out of the 5 modes have stepdowns. I hope either there is a typo in the spec sheet or my math was flawed.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
First, as far as the alkaline batteries go, there is a whole customer group who won't buy anything other than alkaline lights. They want easily found batteries and they don't want to charge batteries. So this new lantern focuses on that customer group. (preppers, etc.)

Here is the response from Fenix. It all concerns the ANSI standards and how those measurements are gotten:

Below are some related links to the ANSI FL1 standard for your information, especially the runtimes. Please kindly note that the testing time for the light should be calculated from its initial output to 10% of the initial one without any effect of thermal control protection at the specific output level. In addition to the following standard and conditions, we should also have to consider the effect of the thermal control protection as mentioned in the attached email: When the inside temperature of the light reaches to 65℃, then it will downshift to the next lower output level, which will affect the testing result as well.

For example, HM50R -- Runtime at Turbo (500 lumens) should be tested and calculated from 500 lumens to 50 lumens (500*10%) without the thermal control protection effect, that means, when the light won't downshift from turbo to high directly when its inside temperature reaches 65℃ but the brightness will be down slowly.
1. PLATO-- ANSI/PLATO FL 1 2016 Standard
http://www.plato-usa.org/about/standard

Run Time
Tested with fresh batteries from 30 seconds after the light is turned on until the light output reaches 10% of the initial measurement. This is the total time of useable light before most consumers will change batteries.

2. Flashlightwiki -- ANSI-NEMA FL-1

http://flashlightwiki.com/ANSI-NEMA_FL-1

Runtime
The amount of continuous runtime (in minutes) until the light output drops to 10% of its original value (measured 30 seconds after turning the light on).
This test is done using the batteries included with the flashlight.[1] If no batteries are included, the test is done using the manufacturer-recommended batteries.[1]
The test is done in an integrating sphere just like the lumen test with light output measured every 15 minutes. 10% of brightness probably gives inflated runtime numbers. In the past, some testers used 50% to be a little more practical, but with most batteries, the drop-off is usually pretty quick and the time between 50% and 10% usually is not long.

Moreover, here are some more details with testing examples for your reference as well, also attached the screenshot of the runtime testing.

http://www.led-resource.com/ansi-fl1-standard/

I hope that helps you understand the specs.

Thanks!

MikeTango

Newly Enlightened
Can you use AA Lithium batteries such as the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Battery in this lantern without causing damage to the light?