Recommend some good Throwy 2xAA & 1xAA lights plz.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't come around CPF as much as I used to and am looking for a throwy 2xAA and 1xAA light. My favorite throwy 2xAA light has been the Quark Turbo QB2A (which can run on a single 14500 as well. It has the XP-G2 LED which produces about 300 lumens with 8800cd, and is still very impressive to me.) I'm looking for a light with an HI LED for more throw & more output, and am hoping to find a good UI with multiple modes like the old quarks (I miss the heyday of 4Sevens!) What's out there right now?

I love this community! Thanks!!

parametrek

Enlightened
Does it matter if the amazing throw is only with 14500 cells?

The Jetbeam WL-S1 is the best I'm aware of but it needs 14500. The Fenix E20 is still one of the best 2xAA for throw. The Fenix E25 UE is no slouch either but that is with 2x14500! The Nitecore MT21A is also up there.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it matter if the amazing throw is only with 14500 cells?

The Jetbeam WL-S1 is the best I'm aware of but it needs 14500. The Fenix E20 is still one of the best 2xAA for throw. The Fenix E25 UE is no slouch either but that is with 2x14500! The Nitecore MT21A is also up there.

Thanks! I have lots of 14500's and Eneloops, and am looking for a light that can run on both. It looks like those lights you mentioned are not running on an HI LED. Does anyone know of a AA light with an HI LED for more throw? Thanks again!

lwknight

Enlightened
I have been pretty impressed with the Nitecore MT2A . For a pocket sized 2AA small reflector, it has a pretty good hot spot plus 4 levels up to 280 or so lumens. The reflector is about 12mm but the spot compares well with the 25 and 30mm reflectors.
Actually, you did not specify how many AAs so I will add the Fenix LD41 with 4AAs is a search light if you want and there is the Nitecore EA81 8AA at 1800 lumens with a 500 meter range.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there's many AA throwers out there because once you make the head large enough to throw very far, it's tempting just to go with an 18650 power source.

The Manker T01 is the main option that I know of. It looks like the original, design has been discontinued and replaced with the T01s, with a very aggressively crenelated stainless steel bezel.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I have been pretty impressed with the Nitecore MT2A . For a pocket sized 2AA small reflector, it has a pretty good hot spot plus 4 levels up to 280 or so lumens. The reflector is about 12mm but the spot compares well with the 25 and 30mm reflectors.
Actually, you did not specify how many AAs so I will add the Fenix LD41 with 4AAs is a search light if you want and there is the Nitecore EA81 8AA at 1800 lumens with a 500 meter range.
If we are going more than 2x AA the LD41 is great as well as the Thrunite TN4A, both take 4x AA.

8x AA is an interesting format but that's a lot of cells. The Nitecore definitely has the highest output in that category but it's not what I'd call sustained output; it drops incredibly quick. Fenix has had a few entries in that format with less lumens but more stable output.

I'd say for 2x AA either the Fenix E20 or Thrunite Archer 2A.

lwknight

Enlightened
There are so many choices out there. I always keep 2 lights in the truck in case one dies. I used to just keep spare batteries but that did not work so well. A backup light will finish the shift to change cells in the primary at leisure. I love my LD41 and also have a TK41 and did not mention that because they quit making it. Actually there is the TK41C.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm really just looking for 2xAA and 1xAA lights with great throw. I have had a Lumintop SD4A on order for about a week and wanted to see if I could upgrade my single & double AA throwy lights. It looks like those formats have not improved that much. I will check out the fenix e20 & e25 and I will checkout the thrunite archer as well.

The reason I'm wanting to research the single & double AA lights is that the guys in my Scout Troop often ask about my more expensive 18650 flashlights & headlights. Once I tell them how much the light, the batteries & charger costs, their interest goes to 0. I noticed recently that ALL 30 of our boys and their dads are all using cheap AAA or AA lights. I have been recommending they buy the awesome single AA zebralight H53w headlight and am on the hunt for a handheld light that is more throwy than floody (the floody AA lights are easy to find. The throwy AA lights have been hard to find in my search.)

Is anyone out there producing a single or double AA light with the throwy HI led's? Im not seeing any. Thanks!

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know much about the Jaxman M2?
Looks like a throwy 2xAA light with that large head, but there's not much info out there on it. 400 lumens, 2 modes only, no real low mode, UI not that great (comes on low then click again for max.) Has 3 LED options ranging from 4300k, 5500k, & 6000k color temps.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have checked Parametrek's search tool earlier:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html?led=XP-E+XP-E2+XP-L HI&battery=1xAA+2xAA

The above link lists 1x and 2x AA lights with either XP-L HI or XP-E emitters. The Fenix E12 might be a good option - it's a fairly well known brand I think they can even buy at REI. It's not super bright, but the small size of the XP-E emitter does give it a fairly tight beam for its size.

The Thrunite Archer v3 is not very throwy. It's in between - good general purpose beam. The older versions with the XP-G2 emitter did have more throw. It's a good light overall. I just don't know if it's quite what you're looking for.

An even lower budget alternative is the Sofirn SF13 and the SF14. Simple, but reportedly decent quality and output.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'm really just looking for 2xAA and 1xAA lights with great throw. I have had a Lumintop SD4A on order for about a week and wanted to see if I could upgrade my single & double AA throwy lights. It looks like those formats have not improved that much. I will check out the fenix e20 & e25 and I will checkout the thrunite archer as well.

The reason I'm wanting to research the single & double AA lights is that the guys in my Scout Troop often ask about my more expensive 18650 flashlights & headlights. Once I tell them how much the light, the batteries & charger costs, their interest goes to 0. I noticed recently that ALL 30 of our boys and their dads are all using cheap AAA or AA lights. I have been recommending they buy the awesome single AA zebralight H53w headlight and am on the hunt for a handheld light that is more throwy than floody (the floody AA lights are easy to find. The throwy AA lights have been hard to find in my search.)

Is anyone out there producing a single or double AA light with the throwy HI led's? Im not seeing any. Thanks!

The 2AA 300 lumen "Indestructible" Rayovac throws real well (rated for 161 M) and is very bright - particularly running on Eneloops which I recommend highly for this light because of the current that it draws - only costs $15 at Home Depot and being "Indestructible" (30 foot drop rating) it is pretty kid resistant for the most part. Downsides - low mode is higher than it should be in my opion (70 lumens) and the tail cap threads are plastic, so you need to be careful not to cross thread/force it on.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have checked Parametrek's search tool earlier:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html?led=XP-E+XP-E2+XP-L HI&battery=1xAA+2xAA

The above link lists 1x and 2x AA lights with either XP-L HI or XP-E emitters. The Fenix E12 might be a good option - it's a fairly well known brand I think they can even buy at REI. It's not super bright, but the small size of the XP-E emitter does give it a fairly tight beam for its size.

The Thrunite Archer v3 is not very throwy. It's in between - good general purpose beam. The older versions with the XP-G2 emitter did have more throw. It's a good light overall. I just don't know if it's quite what you're looking for.

An even lower budget alternative is the Sofirn SF13 and the SF14. Simple, but reportedly decent quality and output.

Wow! Thanks lucky. That list is just what I was looking for. You are the man!!

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2AA 300 lumen "Indestructible" Rayovac throws real well (rated for 161 M) and is very bright - particularly running on Eneloops which I recommend highly for this light because of the current that it draws - only costs $15 at Home Depot and being "Indestructible" (30 foot drop rating) it is pretty kid resistant for the most part. Downsides - low mode is higher than it should be in my opion (70 lumens) and the tail cap threads are plastic, so you need to be careful not to cross thread/force it on.

I will check it out. Thanks man!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Thanks lucky. That list is just what I was looking for. You are the man!!

I really have to tip my hat to the person who runs that site, a fellow flashaholic. He's active here and on several other flashlight forums.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Not sure of its throw but check out Eagletac's D25A2.

Also, did you know that Version 2 of Lumintop's Tool AA [Tool AA V.2] puts out 650 lumens with a 14500 and 270 lumens with a single AA alkaline?

By the way, I gave a Nitecore Tube on a lanyard to a Boy Scout and his fellow Scouts marveled how much light it threw in their tent and elsewhere.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Bump...

I too have recently been considering a 2 AA throw light.

One option that arose was Pelican 2360.

Specs on their website show 375 lumens throwing 9187 cd (presumably candlepower).

That's not quite the level of the Fenix E20 which is *spec'd at 265 lumens for 11000 cd), but it's in the running.

The Fenix E25UE is *spec'd at 350 lumens and 10000 cd.

Interesting, though, is that both Fenix's get almost the same *runtime (close to 90 min's on Nickel metal hydride), with the E25UE putting out 100 more lumens.

User interface may be a deciding factor between these close competitors.

( *From the Fenix manual for the noted light )

FaithinGod

Last edited: