Buying a light you'll hardly use

markr6

Flashaholic
Let's say you want to get a new light to keep in a place where you'll likely never use it. For me, that would be something like a fishing tackle box or first aid kit. I'll probably have at least one light on me anyway, but I want to have that backup knowing it will always be there.

A cheap <$10 1xAA is the easy answer, but the flashaholic in me still wants to have something nice. But it's a gray area since it won't be used much, if ever, so $50 is out of the question. Or is it?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
If $50 buys me piece of mind, I buy it. Especially if it's a light for an emergency, to leave in the car for example. Throw in a lithium primary, have a couple of spares and you're done.

rumack

Enlightened
I agree with Mr. LED. Depending on what the light would be used for, $50 might be inexpensive.

If the light would just be something handy and not crucial, then I would probably go with something inexpensive but good quality, like a Fenix E01 with a lithium primary. But if the light would potentially be used for something serious then I wouldn't hesitate to spend $50 or more, even if the light might never be used. I just bought a Malkoff MDC HA for the console of the car. I might never use it, but I know that if I keep good cells in it, the light won't leave me in the dark.

markr6

Flashaholic
I think the best way to put it would be something like this: it will be one step above holding a match to a $10 bill :)

And I left out an important piece - I will likely buy 3 of these. Again, in places that I may NEVER use them. Much, MUCH less important than somewhere like a car light, where I do have a $60 light and plenty of CR123.

The Fenix E01 is pretty close to what I was thinking. Maybe even Lumitop Tool 2.0 @ $17.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Regular usage: The last quality-control check of a flashlight, done by the owner.

Seldom used: The flashlight actually has to have /higher/ initial quality to provide the user with similar confidence as to complete functionality.

So an argument could be made that this situation demands a better light, not a lesser one. :)

markr6

Flashaholic
That's a good point, and the reason why I would like to stick with Fenix or an actual brand instead of the madeup stuff on Amazon/ebay. ($15 vs $8 knockoff).

I do have an Astrolux E01 I rarely use, so maybe I'll pick up a couple more. I don't expect to need a ton of light from these.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'd use this as an excuse to buy myself a new decent light for real money and retire one (three) of my lesser used lights to the First Aid box.
Like Kestrel says, I'd never trust a cheap light to come on just when I need it.
You have to think about Parasitic Drain too, it'll be a real issue in your scenaio.

P

markr6

Flashaholic
So keeping it small, inexpensive, reliable, low parasitic drain, very seldom used, low-ish output:

1. Limutop Tool
2. Fenix E05
3. Olight I3T
4. ??

Likely with lithium energizers. Again, my focus is pretty much flushing money down the toilet. This will be something "hidden" but avialable. Something I won't be tempted to take out of wherever it is only to be misplaced or not there when I need it. I've tried that with my Zebralights and it doesn't work. Oh, another place would be secured inside my kayak. A total "just in case"; something that will never be used outside of me forgetting my main light while kayaking.

markr6

Flashaholic
Some of us would probably forget it was there if a need for light did actually come up. I'd rather have backup on person or workpack or fieldpack or bedside...
Exactly why this will ideally be inexpensive and no big deal if a year goes by without any use.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Now that Surefire 6Ps are readily available for $40, there is no reason to not have a couple stashed around until you need them. Even better if you stick a Malkoff in it. :)

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the perfect use for older lights you seldom use, is to put them in emergency places where they may seldom or never be used. Better than throwing them out! The older lights are likely good quality, but use out-of-date LEDs or perhaps had an annoying UI you didn't like. As well as being decent quality, they've also been tested for a couple of years so you know there's not a manufacturing defect in them.

So, don't buy new lights for putting away somewhere. Just put your older lights there. You've probably bought several new lights over the past couple of years, and seldom use many of the lights that are older than that.

markr6

Flashaholic
IMO, the perfect use for older lights you seldom use, is to put them in emergency places where they may seldom or never be used. Better than throwing them out! The older lights are likely good quality, but use out-of-date LEDs or perhaps had an annoying UI you didn't like. As well as being decent quality, they've also been tested for a couple of years so you know there's not a manufacturing defect in them.

So, don't buy new lights for putting away somewhere. Just put your older lights there. You've probably bought several new lights over the past couple of years, and seldom use many of the lights that are older than that.

That's a perfect solution, but I honestly don't have any to downgrade like that. I know, bad flashoholic!!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Rayovac indestructible 2xAA lying in wait in places where I may need a light, but would seldom get used.
with lithium primaries they are robust enough, bright enough and cheap enough. They also make great loaner lights, or lights for a overly energetic ten year old boy for instance.
For lights that just have to work every time, I use E01s or a single cell Peak light.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
LED Solitaires run about $10 and do very well for many lighting needs. Load it with a lithium and you're golden for years to come.

I have them scattered all over the place. Tool box, fishing box, cars, utility room, nail hung at windows in my house etc.

When wally world was clearing out the 37 lumen version I bought a slew. How many makes a slew? I dunno but it's at least a dozen.

Last edited:

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
To back UP the light you'd hardly use I'd think about a light I could lock out, from Nitecore's Tube to a rechargeable headlamp or one that also took lithium primaries to back it up in the event of discharge.

And for greater peace of mind, I'd set the alarm on my 'smart' phone to go off every 60-days to remind me to check these (and other) lights.

I guess you can tell I like backing up my back-up lights and those that back them up! :D