Newly Enlightened
This will be mail-order or Online
Budget: $100-150

Format: Handheld Flashlight

Size: Medium to large pocket carry, I have large hands

Emitter/Light Source: LED or Incandescent

Manufacturer: Out of the Box

Power Source: CR123 or better, larger capacity. Rechargeable is fine
If I go with a rechargeable flashlight, I'd prefer to have rechargeable batteries. Ports and prongs on flashlights seem to be one more thing that could defect in my opinion.

Genuine OTF light wanted/needed: Illuminate a field in a wooded area, with wild animals around. And, illuminating rugged trails in the area.
Wide Throw is maybe what I want? Is there an option that has the perfect balance of flood and throw?

Distance: Big open areas with wooded area, Behind my house is an open field.

Runtime I'm not too worried about as I would always have batteries ready to go (In the appropriate storage unit of course)

Durability: Rugged and something that doesn't feel like it's going to break. So Very Important.

Switch Size, Type and location: I'm not a fan of "twisty" mechanisms, I'm more familiar with Tailcap buttons. I have large hands

User Interface and Mode Selection: I'm not too familiar with and is there an option that I would want or is good to have? I had strobe on my Strion, never used it except to play with and show off to friends.

Material/Finish/Coating: Any metal that won't rust, I do like knurling or something with "grip" It''s personal preference I like that solid feel in my hand.

Water Resistance: Something that I don't have to worry about it malfunctioning in rain or snow.

Storage: Pocket/bag carry. Might throw it in my glove box from time to time.

Special Needs/Extras: Secondary filter but from what I understand they're not bright and significantly reduces light output. That would be an option just to play with.
But I would like a pocket/belt clip

Models I've looked at are the Olight M2 Warrior, Nitecore M10C, Nitcore P12GTS

I don't mind buying a light from a foreign country, since that's where all major electronics seem to come from. However I want quality just like everyone else.

cjh

Newly Enlightened
It has been some time since I posted this and still no replies. I used the guide to hopefully give as much information as I could. Was there something I should have included or wasn't clear on? I would like to know for future posts.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello @cjh and welcome to CPF

I briefly looked at your OP above, and I don't see any major issues.

If anything, your requirements appear to be very "middle-of-the-road" ... which is (ironically) why they may have attracted little attention :ironic:

There are many choices which would likely satisfy your listed preferences.

Just to start the discussion, maybe have a look at the Malkoff MD2, and see what you think about a modular / upgradeable system.

Last edited:

cjh

Newly Enlightened
I understand, I figured it would be a question that would be asked thousands of times before. I will look at the Malkoff you suggested. I like modular and upgradeable. Any suggestions for the beginner mods?

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Surefire DFT Fury. Ignore the MSRP and shop around.
Also, if you're not against another Streamlight, the ProTac HLX will take 18650's.
Both are dual fuel. Both have a good balance of throw and flood.