Olight S30 problems

Republiman

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I have a Olight S30 that's about 2years old.
I dropped it the other evening on a concrete floor.
It worked for about 5 minutes after being dropped then
it just wouldn't come back on when I hit the button. I
replaced the battery with two different completely charged
18650's and still nothing. Where should I start? Is the bulb
what I should change out first? I didn't think dropping it on
a concrete floor would have damaged the bulb but maybe so?
Also what replacement bulb should I order for it? I use Amazon
and eBay mostly for ordering items but not being technical minded
I'm not sure where to begin.
Thanks for your reply's in advance.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are springs on both ends of the light inside-do they look squished or twisted? Just to cover all the bases, I would reccomend using alcohol to clean all contacts and threads. If you are not technically minded, I would not recommend trying to replace the LED(it is not a bulb), because it is just as likely the problem is with the circuit board of the driver rather than the LED, and both require a modicum of soldering skill. Spending on which vendor you purchased the light from, it may be economical just to ship it back for repair(most charge labor only & provide parts for free). If it means shipping back to China, then your best bet is bite the bullet and buy a new one or paying someone like Vinh(Sky Lumens) to either repair it or better yet modify it into a super light.

LRJ88

Enlightened
There are springs on both ends of the light inside-do they look squished or twisted? Just to cover all the bases, I would reccomend using alcohol to clean all contacts and threads. If you are not technically minded, I would not recommend trying to replace the LED(it is not a bulb), because it is just as likely the problem is with the circuit board of the driver rather than the LED, and both require a modicum of soldering skill. Spending on which vendor you purchased the light from, it may be economical just to ship it back for repair(most charge labor only & provide parts for free). If it means shipping back to China, then your best bet is bite the bullet and buy a new one or paying someone like Vinh(Sky Lumens) to either repair it or better yet modify it into a super light.

This relates to me wondering which end took the hit, if it's smacked the tail end it could be that the cap isn't closing the circuit anymore, if it ruined something in the front it seems odd it'd still be running for a few minutes after as well.

Actually, if possible a couple of pictures of the flashlight in question would be very nice to have, should it be possible to attach some.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
Does the battery that was in it function properly now? Did you fiddle with anything after taking out the battery and putting a new one in?

Republiman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. The battery that was in it and also the new battery I tried in it,
both work in other flashlights.
As far as which end it landed on, I am not certain. It might have landed on it's side
as I sisn't see when it fell.
i have checked out both springs and cleaned with alcohol. Flashlight isn't dented at all.
I bought it on eBay so maybe I will send to manufacturer. I did buy a new S30 III for
use now. It's just that I'd really like to know what happened. Must be the circuitry.
Thanks for all your replies. They are much appreciated.

Republiman

Newly Enlightened
I would also like to contact Vinh? Maybe I could send to him for repair if I had his contact info.
Thanks

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh is: https://skylumen.com
I think it is OK for me to include the link because he is a CPF advertiser(it is against the rules to post links of non-CPF advertisers. Between Vinh and Olight, I believe Olight will fix the light at a reasonable price but I doubt you will be told what failed(and with shipping it could take a while, but it will be fixed properly and you probably will have a light that still has a lot of life in it). If Vinh fixes it, it will be done right and you will probably get an explanation of what broke. If you have Vinh Mod it for you, you will get a light that is programmable six ways from Sunday, your choice of LED(want super bright? Or a Hi CRI with excellent color rendition? A triple or quad led? If you can dream it, he can build it. You will also get his warranty as well. I once had a Titanium S-10 that was purchased from Battery Junction(a fairly reputable seller). The light died. It took 16 emails, 5 months and a lot of frustration to get it fixed-I never was told what failed. I also had another light that I sent to Vinh. It came back with 70% greater light output, the LED of my choice and even though this was years ago, the light is still as strong as ever. I paid a fair price for the work, and like the other 20 lights I have from Vinh, I have no qualms about using them in a life or death situation-I trust them that much!

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Glockboy, the S30 Head is is an integral part of the body. The LED & Driver are accessed via bezel removal. Since there is no tail switch to bypass I don't think the paper clip trip will differentiate if it is a side switch problem or a driver problem. Is that what you were looking to see, or just checking to see if perhaps the spring was not making good contact? Wow, I just reread what I wrote and it sounds really critical-please don't be offended, that was not at all my intent, I was trying to understand the troubleshooting process you were suggesting. I have seen the paper clip diagnose a failed tail cap switch or poor contact, but in this particular light I am trying to understand what you are trying to rule in or out. Thanks in advance for being patient enough to explain it-I sincerely appreciate it.