Help me pick a light for my wife

Rixter

Newly Enlightened
I purchased an Olight S1 mini baton flashlight two years ago, and while it's a great light, I'd like a light one step down for my wife. She is not a technical person and would not appreciate a truly high-end light. She would not want something that need education using. I would say simply on-off is all that she needs, but I want her to have a low-light option so that when she navigates a darkened hotel room while I am sleeping, she doesn't disturb my sleep with the light (to which I am very sensitive). She would use it primarily to light the way while walking in darkened urban areas or on uneven sidewalks (sometimes third-world sidewalks).

Here are the criteria using the sticky on this forum.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light? Online

2) Budget: Up to $40

3) Format: a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size: Every day carry (2-4 inches). Will be carried in a purse.

5) Emitter/Light source: LED

6) Manufacturer:large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use? Single AA cell (must run either alkaline or rechargeable)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens) and confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: 5 to 20 feet

10) Runtime: 90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
a body-mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
a tail-mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating: Don't care

15) Water resistance: IPX4 (Splash resistant) or IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)

16) Storage conditions: In house (temperature/climate controlled environment) or purse.

Thanks in advance.

Scourie

Enlightened
I suggest a Sunwayman R15a which almost perfectly matches your requirements. The high is 90 lumens, but runs for two hours and the low is 5 lumens for 38 hours. It's a twisty, comes on in low, twist further for high.

SRB

Newly Enlightened
I tried many lights to get my wife interested and she has carried a multitude of small lights in her purse (her only requirement). She was fond of a 2xAAA from four7s, but it didnt hold up. She has been carrying an O-light S2A for a while now, and really uses it. She misplaced it recently (took it out for an business flight) and left it in our computer room. She was a wreck until I found it.

I have carried a 1xCR123 in my front pocket for more than a decade and use it daily, or maybe nightly. My wife never liked this form factor as she would lose them in the bottom of her handbag. Hope that helps a little.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E12 (has no memory, starts on low each time) for sheer simplicity and functionality.

Last edited:

sgt253

Enlightened
My wife carries a previous generation Streamlight Pro Tac 1L (180 lumens). Its programmed to come on in "high" only, but can be configured in "high,strobe,low" or "low, high". Its been very reliable and can be programmed to be simple or more complex to suit. Might work for your wife. Best.

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
Rixter, NEBO's $19.95 Pink Lil Lucy she will absolutely love!

Although it takes 3 AAA batteries to power its top 250-lumens mode, you can actually shorten the light by removing the part holding the third battery (with that battery) and then attach the magnetic end to the shortened end.

Every female I have given it to has raved about it! With either the full 3 or just 2 batteries, it's the perfect size for your wife's purse so when she needs to reach in for a light her hands/fingers will not confuse it with lipstick.

As a male, I personally love its shade of pink.

(On a related note, if every flashlight company carried a pink version of their most popular lights, they would sell twice as many lights, seeing that women comprise one-half of our species. :D )

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Women and flashlights... funny combination, or at least that's been my experience. Women want a flashlight that does the job, and anything more is a waste. They want two modes, on and off. They want to be able to leave it in the glove box or a kitchen drawer for two years and expect it to still work. Unlike us men, they won't go out in the backyard at night just to see what it can do, so nothing fancy is needed. Women just don't see bragging rights in a flashlight.

Soooo, I would just get something cheap and put lithium batteries in it. In my case, a HFT freebie fills the bill. You can put lithium batteries in it if you want. I know, lith batteries cost more than the flashlight. But that way the batteries won't corrode and it will still work in two years.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
It's out of the price range, and it's not a very large manufacturer, but it's very widely available and ready to go out of the box...

I gave my wife a Prometheus Lights Beta. It has the best quick release mechanism on the market, a flawless beam pattern in a very pleasant beam tint and temperature, and simple twist operation. It comes in a super simple low/high with 15 and 60 lumens, or a fancier low/med/high with 1, 15, and 85 lumens.

The quick release uses cantered springs like the ones used to quick connect fuel lines on aircraft carriers and medical equipment. Pull it apart to separate, push together to attach.

The best part about the quick release is it can attach to her keychain or purse so she always has it, and the attachment means even in a purse it won't be rattling around getting lost. And if it's on her keys it pops off easily, so no rattley (I know that's not a word) keys to wake you up in the night when she's navigating the hotel room.

The light is bomb proof and will survive whatever abuse it ever receives.

Sos24

Enlightened
Women and flashlights... funny combination, or at least that's been my experience. Women want a flashlight that does the job, and anything more is a waste. They want two modes, on and off. They want to be able to leave it in the glove box or a kitchen drawer for two years and expect it to still work. Unlike us men, they won't go out in the backyard at night just to see what it can do, so nothing fancy is needed. Women just don't see bragging rights in a flashlight.

Soooo, I would just get something cheap and put lithium batteries in it. In my case, a HFT freebie fills the bill. You can put lithium batteries in it if you want. I know, lith batteries cost more than the flashlight. But that way the batteries won't corrode and it will still work in two years.

Careful with your generalization, some women (myself being one) appreciate nice quality lights that have many functions and always have at least one in my pocket.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see this a lot on gun forums and I'm going to put the same answer here that I do there. Why don't you let your wife pick? She may surprise you at what she wants.